By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did the Halo series went downhill after CE, could Reach bring it back up?

Wagram said:
Halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halo C.E >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Imagine this for 2 billion more lines)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Halo 2.

AR fan?

Around the Network

How can a series go downhill when it started from the the bottom in the first place?

rastari said:
How can a series go downhill when it started from the the bottom in the first place?

Did you even read the OP?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

huaxiong90 said:
rastari said:

Did you even read the OP?

Yes, yet disagreed with it. The op also asked for my opinion of which I gave.

SamuelRSmith said:
Wagram said:
Halo 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halo C.E >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Imagine this for 2 billion more lines)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Halo 2.

AR fan?

What is AR?

I just think that Halo 2 was a very over rated poor sequel. I am more of a single player guy so the game doesn't get a free pass if the MP is good.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Wagram said:

AR fan?

What is AR?

I just think that Halo 2 was a very over rated poor sequel. I am more of a single player guy so the game doesn't get a free pass if the MP is good.

Halo 2 is to Halo: CE, as Dues Invisible War was to Deus Ex.

CollectiveCynic said:

Of course, I speaking campaign and story wise.

I say yes, without a doubt. Halo had a engrossing and epic campaign, the game felt like a mysterious adventure and offered amazing set-pieces. The storyline was pretty solid to boot, it had unpredictable plot twists that were never ridiculous. After that though, it became a straight foward action game and the story just became ridiculous after that. Halo was more focused on marketeing and multi-player (Which is great by the way) instead of creating a rich campaign and exploring it's rich backstory. Halo 3 ODST seemed to be going back to some of the elements of the original, but $60 for a 5 hour expansion pack? No!

Halo Reach seems to be heading towards the right direction, Bungie stated numerous times that they wanted to go back to what made the original special and they're going to provide us a deep look into the fall of the planet Reach.

What do you think?

The original Halo is definitely my favorite, too.  Halo 2 was good but Halo 3 felt a bit stale when it released.  Never played ODST...

CollectiveCynic said:
Wagram said:
CollectiveCynic said:
huaxiong90 said:
IMHO: Halo: CE > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Halo 3.

Halo 2 was the worst of them all, at least Halo 3 had it's epic moments (Such as the Scarab battles) but Halo 2 felt like The Libary chapter from Halo CE stretched into 9 hours.

Pretty much. I did like how they added Dual wielding, and how the graphics were VERY good for an Xbox game. But other then that, I was really disappointed.

The game was no where near as epic as the first gameplay footage shown in E3 2003.

Fun Fact: Halo 2 was made in 10 months.

I don't see what the big deal about the story is, the entire series is just a HUGE ripoff of Ender's Game (A.K.A The best book ever written). However, the only Halo game that I loved was the first, and even it wasn't that amazing compared to games like Half-Life and Quake. After C.E. the series turned into an average shooter with average multiplayer and an average story. Not bad in any way, but nothing too special either.                                                                                                                                                                              

"Did the Halo series went downhill after CE?"                                                                                                                               All your base are belong to us?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Most sequels suffer in the story department in that part of the wonder of the first trip to that universe is discovery. What Halo does exceptionally well in its campaigns is guide you through a load of different experiences that essentially follow the limited rules of a shooter. For linear campaigns they do a good job of giving you a nice sandbox to play in.

Bungie themselves have said that they really don't build the game around a story. They create the scenarios they want gamers to experience and build the story around it. "Finish the Fight" was a marketing tool, versus a true story idea. I quite like several of the levels in each of these games and quite dislike others.

It's a rare shooter that really grabs me story-wise. It's just not really the point to me. I'd rather have open levels with many different possible paths, like Tsalvo Highway or the early mountainous levels of Halo CE where you can approach the battle from lots of angles, with lots of different weapons and strategies.

Halo campaigns excel at this, versus lots of other shooters where you are basically forced to use the one magic gun they give you for that level.

Looking forward to Reach greatly to see what new tricks are up their sleeves.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

SmoothCriminal said:
CollectiveCynic said:
Wagram said:
CollectiveCynic said:
huaxiong90 said:
IMHO: Halo: CE > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Halo 3.

Halo 2 was the worst of them all, at least Halo 3 had it's epic moments (Such as the Scarab battles) but Halo 2 felt like The Libary chapter from Halo CE stretched into 9 hours.

Pretty much. I did like how they added Dual wielding, and how the graphics were VERY good for an Xbox game. But other then that, I was really disappointed.

The game was no where near as epic as the first gameplay footage shown in E3 2003.

Fun Fact: Halo 2 was made in 10 months.

I don't see what the big deal about the story is, the entire series is just a HUGE ripoff of Ender's Game (A.K.A The best book ever written). However, the only Halo game that I loved was the first, and even it wasn't that amazing compared to games like Half-Life and Quake. After C.E. the series turned into an average shooter with average multiplayer and an average story. Not bad in any way, but nothing too special either.                                                                                                                                                                              

"Did the Halo series went downhill after CE?"                                                                                                                               All your base are belong to us?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Halo is better than Quake and just as good as Half-Life.  The combat, A.I., storyline and battles are far superior than Half-Life. Half-Life has better atmosphere, puzzles, level design and storytelling than Halo.

Halo's story is not a rip-off of Enders game, it's inspired by StarHammer. Early interviews of Halo's developtment have Jason Jones state that he wanted to pay tribute to the novel with Halo.