By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can Nintendo know if your console is modded through online?

Say you have your Wii chipped and want to play Monster Hunter Tri online. Can Capcom or Nintendo know that your console is chipped? I read that Microsoft banned modded consoles from Xbox live so could Nintendo possibly do it for online games like MH3?

And for the record I don't have my Wii modded, I'm just curious to know.

Around the Network

I am pretty sure they can.

PSN ID: KingFate_

i dont think so cause they wouldban them all since they hate pirates.
and also MH Tri isnt run by nintendo servers

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

They probably can. Instead of banning them, they use console updates to delete all the modded data.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

Well, if Nintendo can read your daily play data, then they should know if you use Homebrew channel.
I was almost frightened when I had played around a it with HC and then went back to the Wii menu and read a message where it said I had used Homebrew Channel for x amount of time. I've had HC for a couple of years now and I've not been toasted yet. I'm not pirating though.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Well, if Nintendo can read your daily play data, then they should know if you use Homebrew channel.
I was almost frightened when I had played around a it with HC and then went back to the Wii menu and read a message where it said I had used Homebrew Channel for x amount of time. I've had HC for a couple of years now and I've not been toasted yet. I'm not pirating though.

The data stored on the "today's achievements" messages on the message board will simply record channel time based on it's identifier (it's name)... the channel could be called anything after all.

The only way your play data is sent to Nintendo is if you agree to do so through the Nintendo Channel.... so if you use the Homebrew Channel and have agreed for Nintendo to collect your data on the Nintendo Channel then yes they will know.

Nintendo doesn't brick Wiis they find out about though, they try to disable the features the hacks give you when you update the console, whether by online updates or disc updates (playing recent releases will generally force an update)

OoSnap said:

Say you have your Wii chipped and want to play Monster Hunter Tri online. Can Capcom or Nintendo know that your console is chipped? I read that Microsoft banned modded consoles from Xbox live so could Nintendo possibly do it for online games like MH3?

And for the record I don't have my Wii modded, I'm just curious to know.

I don't know, I guess it would depend on the chip. I thought hacked consoles generally had to have that hack updated so that you can avoid having the hack resinded (taken away) by Nintendo's updates.

if you update your wii online when it is modded it will not work anymore or so i've heard

I was playing Monster Hunter Tri online and I think someone got banned for having a modified Wii. The chat log said "modified Wiis are banned, Capcom doesn't accept it... "or something like that.

I kind of suspected Nintendo would use Monster Hunter Tri online as a way to assess the prevalence of hacked Wiis and to ban hacked Wiis from online play to dissuade people from doing it. Kind of like what Microsoft did with Xbox Live.

Those who always wanted to play online with a modded system would put the chip into stealth mode (turns off the modchip, and means you can't play any copies). You need to play the actual retail game, if you don't want to get detected.