By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do people even like RPG?

Usually what I hear is that RPGs have great stories, interesting chartecters, etc

But I rarely hear about people liking the RPG gameplay!

Personally I hate RPG gameplay either turn based or real-time! There are many good games that I don't play just because of their RPG element in them!

We play games to have fun, as I understand people play RPG for the story, but why not make the gameplay fun too? I just can't see anyone liking the RPG gameplay, it is super unrealistic and super boring...

Ok Mass Effect is fine, Fallout 3 is just on the border, but I still can't see how can people like the gameplay of games like Final Fantasy! FF they are great games but because of the story NOT the gameplay!!! FF fans say that FF7 is the best in the series, but it is only because of the story not the gameplay!

So why not make a good story AND fun/realistic gameplay???

And if someone does like RPG gameplay, can they explain why?

Around the Network

I like turn based RPG systems because they allow for more strategic gameplay. Fast action is fun and all, but sometimes I prefer a system that makes me think instead of simply react. That's what makes the best RPG gameplay systems fun for me.

RPG's especially JRPG's are for the chosen ones.. you not liking them means your not a chosen

RPG's can be anything, thats one of the greatest things about: Action, puzzles, exploration, platforming, shooting ext

Soriku said:

The best RPGs have the best stories and gameplay. Story alone doesn't cut it to make it super great.

If you want REALLY good RPG gameplay, play Tales or Star Ocean.

Not neccesarily. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons doesn't even have a storyline and that was the original roleplaying game.

Around the Network

If i wasnt heading out to work, I would write you in depth view from along time JRPG junkie, they offer so much content than any genre... there are so elements, its just one reason.

Turn Based RPGs, at their best, are very very strategic and challenging, even if they don't require good reflexes (a good example is Digital Devil Saga 1+2 for the PS2).

However, I agree that in many games there is only a very basic strategy involved even in the most difficult battles.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Turn based game play is fun. I greatly prefer that type of game play over active combat.

If you like more action in your RPGs, give The World Ends With You [DS] a try. Packed with gameplay as well as a cool story bro.

actually people play rpg's because of the game play not because of the story or characters. they are called rpg's because of their style of game play. well you have gamers on this site, hence everyone knows that rpgs have very fun and good game play, it ain't something unknown.

when you look at every genra every single one has great game play, if you compare them you say fps games have a great multiplayer experience, platforming games have game play where you will never get bored, probably why people still play lpb and nsmb, and action/adventure games have a unique style of game play freedom, and sometimes a compelling story. when you look at rpgs they stand out because of their story and their characters, that doesn't mean that the gameplay is not unique, but they are known for their stories.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good