By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Windows 7, anyone else have it?

Windows 7, anyone else have it?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate 54 31.40%

I have Windows 7 Pro 38 22.09%

I have Windows 7 Home 45 26.16%

I have XP 16 9.30%

I have a Mac 3 1.74%

Other 15 8.72%

Total:171

I would have loved to get Pro, but I didn't want to spend more than $100 on the OS so I got OEM 7 Home for my HTPC. It works great. I have Vista for my regular PC and I won't be upgrading that at all until I swap out all the components.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Which version should one get? Home, Pro or Ultimate? And is a pirated version a realistic alternative or too much hazzle?

Do i miss anything if i just buy Home?

There are two features missing from the Home version.

1) Maximum RAM is limited in Home to 4GB (I think, I may be wrong). However, you really don't need more than 4GB RAM even for gaming.

2) No Remote Desktop Server. Every copy of windows comes with the client, but not the server. This sucks for me (don't feel like craning my neck to look at my TV while setting up my HTPC), but I got VNC instead which works well enough.

EDIT: forgot the 3rd feature missing. Virtualization. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and I'm yet to run into a program that has had any issues, so you'd have to check out your legacy software to see if you need it.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy

Windows 7 ultimate owner here!

But not many people will get this to the extent of surpassing XP, people want things that appeal to them such as functions.
To me there isn't much improvement except its user interface.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

nordlead said:
Slimebeast said:
Which version should one get? Home, Pro or Ultimate? And is a pirated version a realistic alternative or too much hazzle?

1) Maximum RAM is limited in Home to 4GB (I think, I may be wrong). However, you really don't need more than 4GB RAM even for gaming.

2) No Remote Desktop Server. Every copy of windows comes with the client, but not the server. This sucks for me (don't feel like craning my neck to look at my TV while setting up my HTPC), but I got VNC instead which works well enough.

EDIT: forgot the 3rd feature missing. Virtualization. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 and I'm yet to run into a program that has had any issues, so you'd have to check out your legacy software to see if you need it.

Ugh, 4GB is nothing. U sure?

In just a couple of years it could be useful to have 6 or 8GB.

The Remote thingy I dont know if I need. I dont even know what it is lol.

Tanstalas said:
Got the "3-pack" deal the day Windows 7 launched :)

Much better than Vista, and I like how windows actually included boththe 32 and 64 bit O/S's.

Have 32 bit on my notebook (since I only have 3 Gigs of ram) and 64 on my dekstop (since it has 4 gigs of ram)

Why is that a factor?

64 bit allows you to address 4 gigs (and more) of ram, it does't require it. 

OT: At work I have Windows 7 Pro, but I have all my windows OSs in minimalistic visual setup (i.e. optimize for best performance), so for me, this windows (mainly) looks and works like that windows. (Haven't tried Vista, can't compare)

It does have some nice extra features, I used the Resource Monitor with success, and it works reasonably well with 1 gig or ram, on a core 2Duo E4500, 2.2GHz, even if running VirtualVin, multiple instances of Chrome, Open Office, Total Commander, and even Eclipse, but changing between desktops can take a few seconds and HDD grinding at times.

Overall, ok.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
nordlead said:
Slimebeast said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions#Comparison_chart

Here's a chart with differences between versions.

Slimebeast said:

I was wrong... a quick google search gets this microsoft page results

Physical Memory Limits: Windows 7

The following table specifies the limits on physical memory for Windows 7.

VersionLimit in 32-bit WindowsLimit in 64-bit Windows
Windows 7 Ultimate

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Professional

4 GB

192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

4 GB

16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic

4 GB

8 GB

Windows 7 Starter

2 GB

2 GB

kowenicki said:
Windows 7 Ultimate...

its... the Ultimate!

Best OS ever. Simple.

How much u paid for Ultimar?

@Nordlead

I thought so. U do have 64bit right? Nearly eveeyrone has Windos 7 in 64 bit i fink.

Slimebeast said:
kowenicki said:
Windows 7 Ultimate...

its... the Ultimate!

Best OS ever. Simple.

How much u paid for Ultimar?

@Nordlead

I thought so. U do have 64bit right? Nearly eveeyrone has Windos 7 in 64 bit i fink.

yea I have 64-bit, I said so in my post. I really should have thought more before my RAM comment, as 32-bit is limited at 4, so there would have to be some increase for 64-bit

See that's what I mean. Some people get it for free with the hardware, upgrades and stuff.

I don't wanna upgrade my XP (if it even is possible), I wann keep my old comp with XP untouched.

And I wanna no pay more than $100 tops and still I want a very good version.

What if 16GB RAM is not enuff three or four years from now? I mean, if Windows 7 will have as long life as Xp, and I've used Xp for over 8 years now.