By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you actually good at video games?

I'm really good, but not godly as a whole.

In Mario Kart, I'm pretty Godly, though. :P

Around the Network

I've been in the top 10 in super stardust WW
won some goldeneye competitions back in the day
and consistently place in the top 3 when playing most fps games online.

I don't spend as much time as I used to though. I could probably be a lot better if i did.

For the most part, it's hard for me to compare myself to others because single player games are just that, single player, and most games don't pit you directly against others. I'm not a fan of speed runs and such, either.

However, I've got at least a 2 k/d in any online FPS I've played. In the few I've gotten serious about, I've been a part of or led a top 10 Clan/Team/Whatever for some period of time.

Yes, I'm good at games. But like all people, just at certain ones. Action/platformers (such as Metroid, Castlevania, Muramasa, Cave Story), RPGs (such as Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Diablo, KOTOR, etc), some fighters (Such as King of Fighters, Dead or Alive, Smash Bros, etc) and platformers (such as Mario, Kirby, Ninja Gaiden, etc).

Another genre I'm actually quite good at is Light Gun Shooters, but the genre is spotty at best with some games seeing rather weak and buggy games and at other times, the genre having little to no support (such as in this generation aside from a couple Wii games).

Aside from these genres, its just specific examples of games I'm good at. But when it really comes down to it, being 'good' at a game just comes from repetition and memorization.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I used to play the toughest games like Battletoads, the Adventures of Bayou Billy, Vagrant Story. and Ninja Gaiden (nes) and actually beat them. There was no game that I couldn't beat. People used to bring games to my house for me to beat. I even rode the wrong school bus once just to put some kid in his place in two player Tetris for the Gameboy.

Like you, some place along the way, I lost my edge. I think it's a combination of having too many games, losing my virginity (the downfall of Mike Tyson), and simply getting older. I suck, now. And people on Xbox Live and the PSN are more than happy to show/tell me exactly how much I suck!!

Around the Network
thelifatree said:

I found FFXIII (the extra bosses) and The water temple (Oot) harder than demon soul's (probably easy difficulty though I don't remember I played default) for some reasons I know this makes no sense don't flame me. Maybe I'm mentally defecient

thats normal actually Final Fantasy always had very difficult extra bosses, and some of these battles require too much grinding , if you don't do that, you'd find it hard.

as for demon's souls there is no difficulty setting in it.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
thelifatree said:

I found FFXIII (the extra bosses) and The water temple (Oot) harder than demon soul's (probably easy difficulty though I don't remember I played default) for some reasons I know this makes no sense don't flame me. Maybe I'm mentally defecient

thats normal actually Final Fantasy always had very difficult extra bosses, and some of these battles require too much grinding , if you don't do that, you'd find it hard.

as for demon's souls there is no difficulty setting in it.

that's what I thought, but I thought someone in this thread, said something otherwise... I dunno I just press, x button without reading the menu  at the start :P

demon soul's required grinding too, atleast for me. but i suck at videogames you see

like i mean, I guess, like contra is one thats hard with no grinding... but I can't play it cause I suck at it too much to tell you if thats true.

d21lewis said:
I used to play the toughest games like Battletoads, the Adventures of Bayou Billy, Vagrant Story. and Ninja Gaiden (nes) and actually beat them. There was no game that I couldn't beat. People used to bring games to my house for me to beat. I even rode the wrong school bus once just to put some kid in his place in two player Tetris for the Gameboy.

Like you, some place along the way, I lost my edge. I think it's a combination of having too many games, losing my virginity (the downfall of Mike Tyson), and simply getting older. I suck, now. And people on Xbox Live and the PSN are more than happy to show/tell me exactly how much I suck!!

Yup! sounds like the old me. Beating games left and right that some others I knew could not. I actually tried playing Ninja Gaiden NES a little while back and I was getting my butt handed to me. In some aspects I am glad they are harder for me because the games last longer, but on the other hand when I am stuck in places on games I get upset. The most recent games I have had problems with are WiiWare games such as Gradius Rebirth and Contra Rebirth.

Games4Fun said:
d21lewis said:

Yup! sounds like the old me. Beating games left and right that some others I knew could not. I actually tried playing Ninja Gaiden NES a little while back and I was getting my butt handed to me. In some aspects I am glad they are harder for me because the games last longer, but on the other hand when I am stuck in places on games I get upset. The most recent games I have had problems with are WiiWare games such as Gradius Rebirth and Contra Rebirth.

Some of the games I see on the Virtual Console actually stress me out because I think of how hard they were and the thought of playing them again is scary!  I had to delete Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle (Nes) because I knew it was going to be nothing but frustration.  I don't even attempt some games like Contra Rebirth, anymore.  I actually prefer easy games, now.  How the mighty have fallen.

Kart Racers and Platformers (R&C, J&D), I'm good at those, everything else.....

I play PC and PS3. The best of both worlds.