By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Need Advice for College

rapsuperstar31 said:
Student loans are not too hard to get right now but your talking 3 years from now and anything can happen/change by that point! I ended college with about 80,000 in student loan debt but have it paid down to about 25,000 right now, two years after graduating from college! I wouldn't worry too much about affording college right now and more about just keeping your GPA high, well as doing as many extra curricular as you can! If you have to take on student loan debt the interest rates are pretty low (under 3% right now) and you will be able to pay them off pretty quickly after you get your first big job!!

damn son, 55000 paid down in 2 years. wtf is your job lol

Around the Network

Hello! I am a senior in high school, and I got a Presidential Scholarship to Auburn University. The most important thing is the SAT/ACT score. Most schools look at this more than anything when it comes to getting scholarship because every student takes it and is the best way to compare students. Second is grade. Most schools don't require a crazy high GPA. Auburn's General Scholarship requires a GPA of 3.25 while the ACT requires a 28 and SAT requires a 1250. Third is extracurricular activities(sports, math team, part of the student body/president, drama, Eagle Scout, etc.). This shows that you are committed to working.

If you fail to get a scholarship, it is not too difficult to get a student loan. But just keep the grades up, work hard in school, and you should be fine.

If you are poor the government will take care of you. You can get plenty of scholarships just based on need and also grades. Focus on school man, dont be distracted your parent is an adult. You worry about school and then you will get scholarships trust me. Also if you want to do well in college DONT BRING YOUR PS3. I dont know where you live but i am from Florida and if you have a 3.5 and get certain score on your SAT the government give you like 96% covered in tuition. It used to be 100 but then the recession hit

SpartenOmega117 said:

Well guys this might sound weird that im already worried about this bacuese im only in the 9th grade. The problem is that i really need to get a good scholorship because my parents can't afford to send me to a college. For some reason im always worried about this and this kind of distracts me from school. Anyways my 1st semester my gpa was 3.6 because i got a B in Geometry PAP. My weighted average was 104.6. My school is different because we take 4 classes in the 1st semester and 4 classes the second semester. Anyways my total weighted gpa is expected to be at least 3.8 by the end of this year. Also my weighted gpa will be at least 108. I really want to be in the top 10% but im not sure if ill make it since my class is actually very competitive. I know for sure though that ill be in the top 20% at least. Im not planning on going to a huge college that will be expensive. Im thinking about a mid size college like Texas tech or Texas A and M. Im also a resident of texas so this should help. Anyways as of right now do I really need to be worried about getting a scholorship? Are my grades good enough? Is anyone in the same situation as me? Also how hard is it to get a good scholorship or financial aid?

Assuming you live in US....

1. cost - Don't worry about it; not that you shouldn't strive for great grades and a scholorship. There are tons of government based loans and grants available to you. When you start school just ask the counselors about financial aid (not just loans, also free grants) and how to fill out for it. Biggest advice on this though, ONLY TAKE LOANS FOR WHAT YOU NEED TO PAY FOR CLASSES/BOOKS. They are fantastic low rate loans, but they can add up and cost hundreds of dollars a month later to pay back, even at 3% rates.

2. school - Dude, don't go to a major university first. Go to a local community college. Its FAR cheaper, has generally better education, and is typically unified with the states major universities. Meaning that you can get the same classes done in an overall simplier evironment but with better knowledge as well as get 100% transfer to a major university in 2 years.

I attended pima community college that directly works with the university in my city (University of Arizona).

Costs:
PCC = ~$500 a semester including books and all tuition/fees.
UoA = ~$2500 a semester including books and all tuition/fees.

Class size:
PCC = ~$30 students. About same environment as high school, though much more dedicated. Less idiots. Teachers can have a lot of one on one time if needed.
UoA = ~200+ in general education and classes needed during first couple of years. ~50 in core classes in last couple of years.

I took 40credits of my 130 at PCC, saving tens of thousands of dollars as well as making my math/science/gen ed far easier.

Also, they are both colleges, so the overall environment is essentially the same (people, women, events, parties, etc).

superchunk said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

Well guys this might sound weird that im already worried about this bacuese im only in the 9th grade. The problem is that i really need to get a good scholorship because my parents can't afford to send me to a college. For some reason im always worried about this and this kind of distracts me from school. Anyways my 1st semester my gpa was 3.6 because i got a B in Geometry PAP. My weighted average was 104.6. My school is different because we take 4 classes in the 1st semester and 4 classes the second semester. Anyways my total weighted gpa is expected to be at least 3.8 by the end of this year. Also my weighted gpa will be at least 108. I really want to be in the top 10% but im not sure if ill make it since my class is actually very competitive. I know for sure though that ill be in the top 20% at least. Im not planning on going to a huge college that will be expensive. Im thinking about a mid size college like Texas tech or Texas A and M. Im also a resident of texas so this should help. Anyways as of right now do I really need to be worried about getting a scholorship? Are my grades good enough? Is anyone in the same situation as me? Also how hard is it to get a good scholorship or financial aid?

1. cost - Don't worry about it; not that you shouldn't strive for great grades and a scholorship. There are tons of government based loans and grants available to you. When you start school just ask the counselors about financial aid (not just loans, also free grants) and how to fill out for it. Biggest advice on this though, ONLY TAKE LOANS FOR WHAT YOU NEED TO PAY FOR CLASSES/BOOKS. They are fantastic low rate loans, but they can add up and cost hundreds of dollars a month later to pay back, even at 3% rates.

2. school - Dude, don't go to a major university first. Go to a local community college. Its FAR cheaper, has generally better education, and is typically unified with the states major universities. Meaning that you can get the same classes done in an overall simplier evironment but with better knowledge as well as get 100% transfer to a major university in 2 years.

I attended pima community college that directly works with the university in my city (University of Arizona).

Costs:

Class size:
PCC = ~$30 students. About same environment as high school, though much more dedicated. Less idiots. Teachers can have a lot of one on one time if needed.
UoA = ~200+ in general education and classes needed during first couple of years. ~50 in core classes in last couple of years.

I took 40credits of my 130 at PCC, saving tens of thousands of dollars as well as making my math/science/gen ed far easier.

Also, they are both colleges, so the overall environment is essentially the same (people, women, events, parties, etc).

Well i want to go to med school after college so should i take pre med courses after i transfer or should i take them in community college?

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:
superchunk said:
SpartenOmega117 said:

Costs:

Class size:

Well i want to go to med school after college so should i take pre med courses after i transfer or should i take them in community college?

Depends on your community college. PCC actually has a better premed nursing school than UofA. But, generally you should take as much stuff as possible at community colleges. Try to leave a couple easy gen eds for quick boost in GPA when you transfer.

Really? You're in 9th grade. Just enjoy life and work hard. Things will work themselves out....On a side note I wouldn't focus too much on your profession because your likely to change it between now and then like 1000000 times haha

I'm not going to lie i didn't read the other kids posts, just the original post.

I am going to start and say that you are smart for thinking about this now, but it is not something you should stress over. Even if you had bad grades you could get loans and pay them off. However your best bet for getting scholarships is actually being in various clubs and activities as most scholarships go towards a specific criteria (i.e. someone who needs the money or someone who participates in a certain group who gives a scholarship.) Obviously grades matter, but if you can keep upwards of a 3.5 which it sounds like you are capable of and stay active in other things then you should be okay.

Another tip is to start looking for scholarships sophmore/junior year as there are plenty you can get that people may not know about. Look online, as there are countless websites that just collect scholarships and email you which ones you can fill out. If you've got the time you can fill out tons of those.

Hope this helps.

http://card.mmos.com/psn/profile/st/r/Strofan7/card.png%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

You don't need college. Even if you really want it and the free money falls though, don't worry. Just live at home why you go to a local community college and have a part time job and you should be able to pay for school on your own.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

KylieDog said:
If you want some good advice don't base your future on advice from random people on the internet. Except for me telling you not to.

This.

You have your high school counselors. Why not talk to them, or teachers?

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes