By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Need Advice for College

Well guys this might sound weird that im already worried about this bacuese im only in the 9th grade. The problem is that i really need to get a good scholorship because my parents can't afford to send me to a college. For some reason im always worried about this and this kind of distracts me from school. Anyways my 1st semester my gpa was 3.6 because i got a B in Geometry PAP. My weighted average was 104.6. My school is different because we take 4 classes in the 1st semester and 4 classes the second semester. Anyways my total weighted gpa is expected to be at least 3.8 by the end of this year. Also my weighted gpa will be at least 108. I really want to be in the top 10% but im not sure if ill make it since my class is actually very competitive. I know for sure though that ill be in the top 20% at least. Im not planning on going to a huge college that will be expensive. Im thinking about a mid size college like Texas tech or Texas A and M. Im also a resident of texas so this should help. Anyways as of right now do I really need to be worried about getting a scholorship? Are my grades good enough? Is anyone in the same situation as me? Also how hard is it to get a good scholorship or financial aid?

Around the Network

if you dont get a scholarship student loans will be your best friend. i come from a single parent household and my mother has paid 0 for my schooling. i have paid 0 as well. i graduate now so i will have to start paying them off soon. i wouldnt worry about it too much. still try to keep your grades up though as who knows what could happen

your grades are okay but it would be more helpful if you had some extra curricular activities. science club president or student council officer or a contestant on some academic competition. a lot of students are able to get similar grades as yours but you need something else to stand out from them and usually it would be because of being active in school.

Here in Canada, our student loans are awesome. You get the money and dont have to start paying until you have graduated and found a job. Look into that.

Redhors said:
your grades are okay but it would be more helpful if you had some extra curricular activities. science club president or student council officer or a contestant on some academic competition. a lot of students are able to get similar grades as yours but you need something else to stand out from them and usually it would be because of being active in school.

Well next year ill be in the National honor society and Spanish honor society. Also i might join student councl. This summer alone I am planning on volunteering at a Hospital for 100 hours.

Around the Network

Anyone can go to college these days, doesn't take a genius or a rich family.

Don't sweat it, you'll be just fine.

It was a good Idea that you put this in the Sony forums. The Playstation gods are powerful...

Go to your front door for a surprise. Your prayers have been answered

Student loans are not too hard to get right now but your talking 3 years from now and anything can happen/change by that point! I ended college with about 80,000 in student loan debt but have it paid down to about 25,000 right now, two years after graduating from college! I wouldn't worry too much about affording college right now and more about just keeping your GPA high, well as doing as many extra curricular as you can! If you have to take on student loan debt the interest rates are pretty low (under 3% right now) and you will be able to pay them off pretty quickly after you get your first big job!!

Yeah interesting forum choice.

Anyway, if your parents really can't afford it, then you probably qualify for a significant amount of financial aid if you just get into college, period. But then again, I'm from California, which is probably more socially conscious than Texas.

I go to UCLA, and one of my roommates manages without a job or his parents paying for anything. His parents only make like 40k and he gets lots of financial aid and student loans. The best part of student loans is, you dont have to start paying if off for as long as you are a full time student.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

rapsuperstar31 said:
Student loans are not too hard to get right now but your talking 3 years from now and anything can happen/change by that point! I ended college with about 80,000 in student loan debt but have it paid down to about 25,000 right now, two years after graduating from college! I wouldn't worry too much about affording college right now and more about just keeping your GPA high, well as doing as many extra curricular as you can! If you have to take on student loan debt the interest rates are pretty low (under 3% right now) and you will be able to pay them off pretty quickly after you get your first big job!!

Did you get any grants or scholorships? Im plaaning on beomign a physician and i think ill end up with a $200,000 loan.