By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDTV question. 120Hz vs 240Hz?

Since both 120 and 240 are divisible by 24, you won't really notice a difference. It simply makes movie playback smoother since the TV can duplicate each movie frame the exact same amount of times. For instance on a 120hz TV each frame is shown 5 times, whereas on a 60hz screen some frames are 3 times, others only 2 which creates a jitteriness.

When it comes to gaming it's not all that big of a deal, because as we know there is no constant frame rate. It's constantly changing, so in that scenario, you'll be just fine with 60hz.

Save yourself some money and just get the 120hz.

Around the Network
Theo said:
Just go to a tv store and check them out. Look at all the different hz TVs. Buy what you think looks good enough for yourself. Some people that watch my tv find it too smooth and much prefer the slower blurry movie frame rate of 24p.

Panasonic's neo PDP 600hz tv isn't 600 frames per second, Panasonic subdivides their plasma display panels into 10 sub-fields. Each sub-field is refreshed at a 60 Hz rate. 10 sub-fields refreshed at 60 Hz (10 x 60 = 600) produces a 600 Hz sub-field drive figure. It's misleading marketing, nothing to do with framerates.

Comparing TVs at a place like Best Buy, or any other commercial store is absolutely worthless. The video feeds to the TVs are crap, and none of them are properly setup making a comparison useless.

Username2324 said:
Theo said:
Just go to a tv store and check them out. Look at all the different hz TVs. Buy what you think looks good enough for yourself. Some people that watch my tv find it too smooth and much prefer the slower blurry movie frame rate of 24p.

Panasonic's neo PDP 600hz tv isn't 600 frames per second, Panasonic subdivides their plasma display panels into 10 sub-fields. Each sub-field is refreshed at a 60 Hz rate. 10 sub-fields refreshed at 60 Hz (10 x 60 = 600) produces a 600 Hz sub-field drive figure. It's misleading marketing, nothing to do with framerates.

Comparing TVs at a place like Best Buy, or any other commercial store is absolutely worthless. The video feeds to the TVs are crap, and none of them are properly setup making a comparison useless.

Well then go to a good tv store : )

The sony store near me has a demo area where the lighting and settings are all perfect, and they show blu ray movie content like the latest bond movies. And other parts of the store have 200hz televisions on demo mode, showing 50hz on the left hand side of the screen and 200hz on the right which is really helpfull.

And I found another shop in town where they were happy to put on any content I asked for. I asked them did they have any tech demo type stuff to show off their surround sound, and they had a demo disk with a helicopter that flew all around the room. It was so awesome I ended up buying some 5.1 speakers. I don't live in the states so I wouldn't know how bad best buy is, here in Ireland some shops have proffesional tech heads who love their tvs, setting them up right and showing them off.

I am the HD master...

First of all, Either pick a Samsung or a Sony

Second of all, 120hz vs 240hz difference is nearly impossible to see, however, ALWAYS go with the highest you can get..I mean if your getting a new hd tv to watch for the next decade, get the best you can.

If you can, you should try to get an LED.. I think the best tv available today is a 1080p 3D 240hz LED LCD HD TV lol.

I'm pissed because a few months ago i buckled down for a new hdtv and got 1080p but there was only 60hz at the time... its so hard to keep up technology.

Oh and for people saying to get a plasma.. DO NOT listen to them, plasma is old technology and will not be used in the future.

“Absolutely, we can do much more with it. I don’t know if we are even close to 50 percent of PlayStation 3’s power at this point,” said Asmussen about God of War 3.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???