By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDTV question. 120Hz vs 240Hz?

Hey all, im sure alot of you are gaming on HDTVs and im currently looking for a +50" HDTV mainly for gaming.  Im wondering if there's a big difference gaming on a 240Hz over a 120Hz, and whether its worth the extra money to cough up for the 240Hz? 

Some HDTVs i've seen of the same brand, same size, the price jump of 120Hz to 240Hz can be up to an extra $1000.

I've only played on a 60Hz HDTV before and not sure if it was judder that i saw or online lag lol.

Thanks in advance.

Around the Network

the tv should be set in game mode when playing games. which disables motionflow, automotion plus, ect.. to avoid lag. i own a 240hz tv and i really can;'t tell the difference between that and a 120 hz tv. 60hz tvs do not judder unless your trying to watch something in 24p

hz refers to the tv's refresh rate which really only matters alot with lcd displays due to the way that particular technology works. DLP tvs for instance can run perfectly @ 60 hz, while a lcd engine @ 60 hz can have ghosting issues. LCDs need a higher refresh rate to eliminate the possibility of ghosting, and unfortunately that equates to more dollars.

the manufacturers have used numbers like crazy refresh rates and contrast ratios that confuse buyers and help keep prices at a premium. contrast ratios are a joke. 1 kajillion : 1 contrast can be gotten by using the manufacturers own math because there isnt an enforced industry standard and the consumer thinks its better when it isnt any different than the 10k :1 gotten using a different math.

love my Samsung 50" led engine dlp btw.   if your not hell bent on hanging the damned tv like a picture frame, you can get a really large tv with great options at a much more reasonable price with a dlp than an lcd.  though large lcds have come down a lot since I bought my dlp.

Refresh rate and pixel response times are different. 120Hz would be the minimum requirement especially if you watch movies since they're usually shot at 24 frames per second and 120 is evenly divisible by 24 whereas 60 is not evenly divisible. If you had a bad pixel response time(>20ms), you'd see a lot of ghosting as it transitions from dark to light or light to dark.

I've seen a few 240Hz tv and I think mainly refers to the picture processing and not really the screen refresh rate. But I haven't seen much of a difference between 240Hz and 120Hz.

I doubt you could tell any difference between the two.

Around the Network

I have a Best Buy brand 60hz LCD and I've never had a single problem.

I'd probably go with 60, but 120 isn't that much anymore. 240 is not neccesary.

My 100hz tv has a response time of about 14ms I think, and 6ms in game mode. If I want to use game mode the 100hz turns off (100hz PAL, 120hz NTCS) I don't see any real difference between the normal and game mode response time, but 100hz refresh framerate does make a big difference for me atleast. It's easier to follow movement on the screen if it looks smoother and doesn't judder so much.

Maybe it's worse for me in europe because our base standard being 50hz and not 60hz, but I can't stand 50hz anymore. Too much flicker. But when I was buying the tv and looking at 200hz televisions, I really couldn't see much of a significant improvement over the 100hz. These are all LCD screens I'm talkin about. Plasma doesn't benefit as much from faster refresh rates because light from a plasma tv degrades over time unlike an LCD which is either on or off. Making the flicker of lower framerates more visible.

I digress, 120hz is excellent, 240hz is unnecessarily excessive and does not warrant the extra cost.

wow, 240 sounds like over kill.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Post some links of specific TVs you're looking at... 120 vs 240 isn't the only thing you should look for.