By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Can Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and FF XIII turn things around?

Soriku said:
CrazzyMan said:
Now that gap is growing now, explain that
READ my post ABOVE.
star ocean is NOT ps3 exclusive, no platform is announced.
in famitsu was mentioned for PS3. Anyway, there are a lot exclusive 3rd party games, is that not enough for you? Or you just see, what you want to see? =))
If you like i could create a list as well, but why? Neither is lacking 3rd party, but the incentive to support sony is slowly draining.
DO YO READ what other peopel write? That guy was saying, that there are not enough 3rd party exclusive games in 2008.
Slowly draining? PROVE that.

*About SO4 bit* Uh...they mentioned either PS3 or 360, not just PS3.

Monster Hunter 3 was supposedly a PS3 exclusive until now. Mention only confirmed exclusives, people (like Ninja Bread Man)!

Around the Network

The problem with the PS3 right now is price and the lack of high selling IP's (like MGS4, GT5, FF,GoW3,) From the 360, we have already seen Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR4, and Gears of War. You will see proven IP 's from sony against new IP's from microsoft (Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Too Human). Face it, The 360 will never move consoles like they did this year again. Sony may not catch the 360 in the US, but the 360 has done the most damage it could do.

I'll take the case!!!

I could care less how many consoles those games push--as long as I get FFXIII and versus XIII....I would trade my 360 and all its games along with all of my other ps3 games--just to have THOSE TWO GAMES. FF is what brought me to console gaming--let others complain about only a few good games on the ps3--AS LONG AS I HAVE BOTH THOSE GAMES, I'll sacrifice every other game known to man--GLADLY.

Anyhow, yes, I do have an obsession/love affair with Final Fantasy--and proud of it. 

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

Assassins Creed is a new IP and sold fantastic. In fact, It destroyed all of Sony's first party games on its own platform. New IP's move industry forward. Do we really need another Mario Kart or Need for Speed? Gears of War is another example of how much damage a new IP can do. Sony is once again over estimating brand loyalty. People wont flock to Sony just because their Sony except for the early adoptors and their basicly all used up.

Harvey Birdman said:
The problem with the PS3 right now is price and the lack of high selling IP's (like MGS4, GT5, FF,GoW3,) From the 360, we have already seen Halo 3, Forza 2, PGR4, and Gears of War. You will see proven IP 's from sony against new IP's from microsoft (Alan Wake, Halo Wars, Too Human). Face it, The 360 will never move consoles like they did this year again. Sony may not catch the 360 in the US, but the 360 has done the most damage it could do.

Again, it's the lack of interest and momentum; what did Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, etc do for Gamecube? I agree that it's a whole different case with PS3 (due to the brandname), but still, I expect quickly diminishing boosts and nothing more.

Around the Network

what did Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil, etc do for Gamecube?
Mario, Zelda, Metroid - these are pure nintendo game. And N64 with CG sales were poor, while both psOne and ps2 sales were over 100 mln. Much More people played MGS, FF, GT games. That`s why these games will improve sales a lot.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Simple answer is Yes, they can "turn things around"
But only in comparison to microsoft.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

libellule said:
Lost tears of Kain said:

"same could be said of ps3 games, im still hearing all this shit for FF 13 next year blah blah, when its not even likely to happen.

Bullshit its not impressive, next year looks twice as good to me as this year, and thats saying something. Maybe they wont be GOTY material but they are looking to be fantastic games, and some of them having GOTY hype.

Maybe games like banjo 3, fable 2, NG 2 and games like that are not big and impressive to you, but to 360 owners and most people it really quite is.

==> Banjo3 is like Ratceht&clank, not a huge event for hardcore gamer that Xbox360/PS3 owners are. Fable2 is the sequel of a disapoiting RPG that was exclusive to Xbox meaning most of gamers dont know it. Even more it is an hardcore RPG like Mass Effect that will not sell incredibly. NG2 is, well, let's say it is ok but it is just another hack and slash...
All those games are unknow outside of the USA where the first Xbox succeed to sell during the last gen.

On the PS3 side, for what we know,
GT5 : system seller
MGS4 : VERY famous game, good sales expected
Killzone2 : maybe one of the most beautifull games of the 2008 year.
WKS : the game that will sell the console in Japan.
Home and LBP : wait and see.
Tekken 6 : famous game

All these sequels are wellknow from the HUGE PS2 WW users base.

first off Fable was a fantastic game, and if you didnt experience it then to bad for you. It got numberous game of the years awards. HOW dare you say NG is a hack and slash. GOd your fanboyism is unbelivable for fuck sakes. If you want to take that route let me help you.

GT 5- sales went down for 4, seems the series is dwindling

MGS4- not argueing that

Killzone2- the first one sucked major ass, what makes you think this one will be different. That and its anything but beutiful with tis dull gray colors, pretty much a gears copier.

WKS- expect some from this game its not a sequal, and i put it in same line as LO. Level 5 has never impressed me but maybe this will change.

Home-saw what happened to second life.

see i can pull it two asswhole stop with your danm fanboyism both sides have an impressive lineup.

First price cut, on the 60 gig to get rid of it. NUMBER 2 cutting the price of the 80 GIG model. Thats TWO pricecuts, even if one was clearence.

Whats obvious, i would be worried if i were sony. Even after the momentum of ANOTHER price cut, and releasing a LOWER sku they still could not beat 360 WW, and the week they did they barely did it. Once this momentum falls where will ps3 stand?

==> well there is still no good exclusives game on the PS3 except the very old Reistance fall of man, the online restricted Warhawk, the casual Ratchet and the just release Unchartred.
the Xbox360 line-up is just too strong this year (bioshock/Froza2/PGR4/Halo3). Since the console is also cheaper is expected that the Xbox360 sell better than the PS3.

BUT,

Outside of the NA, the Xbox360 is behind the PS3 underlying WHY I m worried about the Xbox360 future : What will happen when the PS3 will reach the mass market too and when the PS3 will have good title ???

How much did halo boost sales? it did but not MIND BLOWING, how can you expect it for ps3 is beyond me.

Besides the bundled games, and multiplatform games of COD and AC, tell me any ps3 games that have sold good. Specially exclusives.

==> becuase the PS3 is laking the very good line-up the Xbox360 has.
I agree with this.
But if you make good exclusives games, people will buy them.
Particularly when they already know them like Tekken/Godofwar/FF/MGS/GT
Remember on the Xbox360 exclusive line-up :
PGR4 : sequel
Halo3 : sequel
Forza2 : sequel
AceCombat 6 : sequel

At the opposite, none of the PS3 exclusive title where sequel so far ...

You will see in 2007, things will be different.

Same next year

NG-sequal

banjo-sequal

fable-sequal

splinter-sequal

same exact amount and some are bigger then games like PGR id say 360 is going to have another fantastic year

ratchet and clank was a sequal

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
CrazzyMan said:
Mario, Zelda, Metroid - these are pure nintendo game. And N64 with CG sales were poor, while both psOne and ps2 sales were over 100 mln. Much More people played MGS, FF, GT games. That`s why these games will improve sales a lot.

More people played MGS, FF and GT than Mario, Zelda and Metroid??? Just ignorant.

CrazzyMan said:

guess how nes and SNES dominated? Both mario and zelda have had huge sales, this is no difference at all

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.