By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destructoid's Jim Sterling "2010 = Year of the Wii"

"Nintendo's waggle box "

LOL, totally agree Mr Sterling.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
Qays said:

Oh, i'd love to hear this one explained.

Name a truly great Wii game that isn't Zelda/Metroid/SMG. One that can compete with the Demon's Souls and Mass Effects and Uncharteds of the world. Good luck.

Why I would like to play Demons Solus, Mass Effect or Uncharted when I can play Zelda/Mario/Metroid that are the franchises with the highest rankings?

Why dont you tell us three games from Xbox360 and three from Ps3 that can compete with the "greatness" of Zelda/Mario/Metroid?

Halo, Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid series, among others.

Xbox 360:

-Halo

PS3:

-Metal Gear Soli

Uncharted=great franchise, but not like Mario/Zelda/Metroid, maybe twenty years later...

PS: You have say me only one from console.

First of all, reputation should mean nothing in this discussion.  Yes, Mario has been around a long time, but that doesn't give Mario games an inherent advantage save in the minds of sheep.  Uncharted shouldn't be belittled because it hasn't been around long enough. 

Moving on,

Metal Gear Solid Franchise, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, God of War. All hailed as amazing, some as the best in their genres.  Again all as famous as Mario, of course not.  Arguably just as good games if not better? The argument can be made.

NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
Qays said:

Name a truly great Wii game that isn't Zelda/Metroid/SMG. One that can compete with the Demon's Souls and Mass Effects and Uncharteds of the world. Good luck.

Why I would like to play Demons Solus, Mass Effect or Uncharted when I can play Zelda/Mario/Metroid that are the franchises with the highest rankings?

Why dont you tell us three games from Xbox360 and three from Ps3 that can compete with the "greatness" of Zelda/Mario/Metroid?

Halo, Uncharted and Metal Gear Solid series, among others.

Xbox 360:

-Halo

PS3:

-Metal Gear Soli

Uncharted=great franchise, but not like Mario/Zelda/Metroid, maybe twenty years later...

PS: You have say me only one from console.

First of all, reputation should mean nothing in this discussion.  Yes, Mario has been around a long time, but that doesn't give Mario games an inherent advantage save in the minds of sheep.  Uncharted shouldn't be belittled because it hasn't been around long enough. 

Moving on,

Metal Gear Solid Franchise, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, God of War. All hailed as amazing, some as the best in their genres.  Again all as famous as Mario, of course not.  Arguably just as good games if not better? The argument can be made.

Zelda isnt as famous as Mario, and has the best game with Ocarina of Time. Metroid has poor sales and fame if compete with Mario, but Metroid Prime is at the top 5 of best games of all time. Their "greatness" is recognize. Mario has been around a long time, and it seems that is necessary becuase even god of war iii, final fantasy xiii, metal gear solid 4, little big planet or uncharted 2 arent best than galaxy.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Qays said:

Smash bros, no more heroes 2, Little King's story, Cave story, world of goo, Punch out, monster hunter 3, metroid: Other M, Super mario galaxy, super mario galaxy2, mario kart wii, Zelda: the twilight princess, zelda: wii, metroid prime 3, metroid prime trilogy, pikmin 3, etc

I see no reason to exclude some of the greatest games this gen. 

I hate The Godfather. I'll throw that out there right now. I find a lot of supposedly "great" movies unwatchable.

It would seem that you have poor taste in everything.

We're not talking about franchises. We're talking about individual games on individual systems.

Specifically, we're talking about the only three great games on the Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

These are great games. But they are not the three best games of the generation. Super Mario Galaxy is an innovative but lightweight and unchallenging platformer. Zelda has done interesting things since Ocarina of Time, but Twilight Princess is just about as formulaic and forgettable an installment as the series has ever seen. Metroid Prime 3 is similarly lacking in innovation, and isn't anywhere close to the best shooter on the market today - BioShock is vastly, vastly superior in literally every way.

Why dont you tell us three games from Xbox360 and three from Ps3 that can compete with the "greatness" of Zelda/Mario/Metroid?

That's so easy I'm kind of wondering why you asked.

Demon's Souls
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age
Uncharted 2
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
BioShock
God of War III
Street Fighter IV

Around the Network
Qays said:

What about Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

adsl said:
Qays said:

What about Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Unbalanced fighter for n00bs. Plus it has Kirby. No game with Kirby can possibly be truly great.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Oh goodness. Let's narrow this down a bit. Of the games you listed, several are:

Games that aren't out yet, and therefore irrelevant to whether or not the last few years have been a dry spell for the Wii:

metroid: Other M, super mario galaxy2, zelda: wii, pikmin 3

Games that are the three games I've already mentioned:
Super mario galaxy, Zelda: the twilight princess, metroid prime 3

Games that are really just GameCube games (Twilight Princess arguably belongs in this category, but I'll be nice and pretend it doesn't):
metroid prime trilogy

Games that are almost identical to GameCube games:
Smash bros, mario kart wii

What about Wii Super Smash makes it worth buying for someone who already has GameCube Super Smash? I'll give you a hint: nothing. Certainly nothing qualifies it for greatness.

That leaves a hard core of six games that you claim to be "great":
no more heroes 2, Little King's story, Cave story, world of goo, Punch out, monster hunter 3

Monster Hunter Tri is by all accounts a fine game, but seriously - you're comparing it to Demon's Souls or Oblivion? WTF. Same goes for Little King's Story.

The other games you mention are even more baffling: Punch Out is a mindless nostalgiamobile, No More Heroes 2 is worth no more than a weekend rental, World of Goo is nothing compared to Portal.

Cave Story is a legitimately great game. I'll give you that one.

I see no reason to exclude some of the greatest games this gen.

I do: they're not great games. They range from good all the way down to mediocre. If you could only choose one game to take with you on a deserted island you'd be absolutely crazy to pick any of these.

Qays said:
I hate The Godfather. I'll throw that out there right now. I find a lot of supposedly "great" movies unwatchable.

We're not talking about franchises. We're talking about individual games on individual systems.

Specifically, we're talking about the only three great games on the Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

These are great games. But they are not the three best games of the generation. Super Mario Galaxy is an innovative but lightweight and unchallenging platformer. Zelda has done interesting things since Ocarina of Time, but Twilight Princess is just about as formulaic and forgettable an installment as the series has ever seen. Metroid Prime 3 is similarly lacking in innovation, and isn't anywhere close to the best shooter on the market today - BioShock is vastly, vastly superior in literally every way.

Why dont you tell us three games from Xbox360 and three from Ps3 that can compete with the "greatness" of Zelda/Mario/Metroid?

Demon's Souls
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age
Uncharted 2
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
BioShock
God of War III
Street Fighter IV

Super Mario Galaxy - 97.28%

Sorry, but Galaxy is the best game of the generation. No mass effect, no metal gear solid 4, no god of war iii or any of the games you said. See with your own eyes at gamerankings.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Qays said:

Demon's Souls
Mass Effect 2
Dragon Age
Uncharted 2
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
BioShock
God of War III
Street Fighter IV

But most of them you are not console exclusives. You can only enjoy Zelda, Mario and Metroid in Nintendo systems, those 3 are always candidates for GOTY.