By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How bad is your country?

Right this is a thread to let off steam about your countries taste in games and consoles.

Living in New Zealand I need this thread, for one main reason. We hate the DS.

Half of the game stores in New Zealand don't even sell it or any of its games. There is a strong market for the PSP (which in one game store I frequent has a huge cabinet of games and an entire shelf for the PSP itself, no DS case at all though) so its not handhelds, just the DS.

In fact New Zealandis a bit anti-Nintendo in general I think, the Wii here is largely ignored as too kiddy while the PS3 and 360 are lauded for their power and the Xbox was far more popular than the GC last generation (so was the PS2 of course =P).

I love my couintry in so many ways but being in one of the few countries in the world that doesn't love the DS? It sucks.

Now its your turn. Complain about what sucks about your countries gaming market, I'm sure you can all think of something.

Around the Network

I live in Greece. PES is our god.

I live in You Ess Ay. I'm pretty sure we dislike casual games.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I live in the U.S.

Half the people I see walking into Gamespot could be in a Reality TV show.

That is all.

Here in Mexico, handhelds are mostly seen as kid's consoles.

As far as consoles goes, the Xbox brand is seen as the kid's one, but this has more relationship to times. Xbox is newer, so the newer generation's were more exposed to it thanks to Microsoft having official presence here. A kid that came to my house for some reason, saw my Wii and asked "is that the new Xbox?". As you may expect, I lol'd.

The Playstation brand was the most popular until the appearance of the Wii... but it was because it was extremely easy to mod the console and buy hundreds of pirate games. Also very popular with the teenagers (especially with the ones that see themselves as bad boys), but again it's because the time frames.

Nintendo is seen as the brand for the hardcore, older gamers. In the last few years it wasn't the most popular brand among the "normal" people, but since the beginning of the Wii, it has seen a revival in popularity with normal people. But not with the kids or teenagers. No, it's with the older normal people... 20+

What sucks here is that videogames get additional taxes from government because they are labeled as "luxury" items. And when you add the import taxes, and that stores sell the consoles with a revenue, you have the Wii going for over $400USD, PS3 for over $900 and 360 for around $500. Same for the games. Damned third world >_>

Around the Network
Rath said:

Right this is a thread to let off steam about your countries taste in games and consoles.

Living in New Zealand I need this thread, for one main reason. We hate the DS.

Half of the game stores in New Zealand don't even sell it or any of its games. There is a strong market for the PSP (which in one game store I frequent has a huge cabinet of games and an entire shelf for the PSP itself, no DS case at all though) so its not handhelds, just the DS.

In fact New Zealandis a bit anti-Nintendo in general I think, the Wii here is largely ignored as too kiddy while the PS3 and 360 are lauded for their power and the Xbox was far more popular than the GC last generation (so was the PS2 of course =P).

I love my couintry in so many ways but being in one of the few countries in the world that doesn't love the DS? It sucks.

Now its your turn. Complain about what sucks about your countries gaming market, I'm sure you can all think of something.

First off Xbox was only a little more powerful than GC in hardware wise. GC was superior to the PS2 in hardware. Anyways I hate the US and its over focused attention to FPS and graphics. Gaming is about so much more in my opinion. 

"Like you know"

In Poland Nintendo is kiddy, the xbox is MS (satan, evil, anything you hate) and the PS brand is considered adult because graphics are everything plus if you have more cash to spend then you should spend it on more expensive things because it's "cool".
Handhelds are non-existant, but the DS is making some strides to change that.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Am from Argentina and yes you may saw what I said in some posts why it sucks here...... One is the import taxes, here is one prime example
http://listados.deremate.com.ar/nintendo-wii-consolas_46728/_srZbiddesc (I know is in spanish but it proves my point) thats why here there many modded consoles......

Everyone loves xbox and hate playstation guess were I live.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I live in the UK. x Dollars = x Euros = x Pounds. Fail.

At least every console is popular here if it has a large enough library.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.