By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry interview about Natal, 3DV NOT the technology used.

Squilliam said:
huaxiong90 said:
If I read that right, they used cheaper and more cost effecient tech with their software doing most of Natal's calculations?

Yup, pretty much this. If you want to know whats going on you'll have to read the article. I just took out interesting and not too mind numbing bits for the plebs here who can't read more than 3 lines at once.

When I have the time, I'll read the details.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network

"The difference is that this reference design includes a dedicated SoC (System on Chip) which translates the information from the IR sensor into a depth map that is "registered" or matched on a per-pixel basis with the RGB image you get from the conventional RGB camera. The result is a 640x480 image where every single pixel has a depth component. "

I didn't think that each RGB pixel would match perfectly with the depth image. This is quite cool. Having a video conference with someone else using some 3D technology would be friggen CRAZY.

"The chip also contains some flash RAM meaning that the device is firmware-upgradable. "

Good news.

Just posting snippets as I read :)

You love the Natal don't you?

Tease.

Squilliam said:

LOL.  I think it is quite neat.  I am actually halfway through developing an XNA game that I could easily port the controls to Natal(if they provide XNA support of course).  I will not divulge the details though :)

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
Squilliam said:

LOL.  I think it is quite neat.  I am actually halfway through developing an XNA game that I could easily port the controls to Natal(if they provide XNA support of course).  I will not divulge the details though :)

Awesome! So whats the release date? *Note, missing the release date will kill any hype you've got for your game*

Tease.