By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SingStar PS3 - IGN (UK) review

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/837/837033p1.html

UK, November 21, 2007 - It's difficult to remember what house parties used to be like before games such as SingStar and Guitar Hero came along. Nothing quite brings people together and gets a night going like a co-op rendition of YMCA or a fret-slapping battle to Sweet Child O' Mine.

SingStar on PS3 has been a long time coming. Unlike most current-gen remakes of beloved older games though, this one isn't about power-enhanced gameplay or improved visuals. Nope, SingStar PS3 is, in truth, much the same game as its PS2 predecessors and, beyond its flashy customisable front-end and hi-def music videos, you'd hard-pressed to guess you're playing it on a new console. It has new features, of course, but the actual experience is exactly the same - pick a song, sing along and make a fool/star of yourself, depending on your vocal talents.

The SingStore is a fantastic addition to the series.

Before we tackle the new stuff though, let's backtrack a little and cover the basics for anyone who has yet to succumb to SingStar's charms. One or two players warble along to their favourite tunes, either competitively or as a duo, and the performance is rated on pitch by the game. There's also Pass The Mic, which lets up to 8 players compete by simply passing the microphone along at the end of each line. So far, so SingStar.

But where SingStar on PlayStation 3 ups the ante is its brand new online features, which suddenly seem criminally absent from the PS2 games when you go back to them. Indeed, in an age where individual songs can be downloaded from online stores it's hard to see why people buy compilation albums anymore, when all they're getting is CD half-filled with decent tunes and the rest rubbish filler material. This applies to recent SingStar releases such as '80s and Rocks. Why pay 20 quid for 30 tracks when at least a dozen are about as appealing as a dwarf in a jockstrap? Admittedly Sony has rarely been guilty of including deliberately duff songs but, at the end of the day, the enjoyment you get out of SingStar all boils down to personal taste - it's not ideal if you want to sing along to Bloc Party and you're lumbered with The Offspring.

That all changes with SingStore, which is a breath of fresh air for the series. Sure, you get the standard 30 tracks on the disc (most of which are pretty decent), but there's also a wide selection of songs available for download, and for a decent price - 1 GBP / Euro 1.49 - too. This essentially means players can create their own karaoke compilations, so playlists become packed with genuine classics and not the occasional dud that everyone skips past. Some may say it's been a long time coming but it really does revolutionise the Singstar experience, especially if you're playing with friends. Can't find a song to sing? Hop online, browse through the 70-odd tracks on offer (with more to follow soon), fork out the cash and, in around five minutes, you're away. Downloads take place in the background too, so you can keep playing while new tracks are saving to your PS3.

Even older standard-def videos look okay on a big HD telly.

EyeToy support is a much more integral part of the experience now, too. Before, you could record your audio performance and save it to memory card, but that was about it. Now, using the PSEye, your best performances can be uploaded to your SingStar profile and shared YouTube-style with the rest of the world. This incentive to put on a show, rather than simply hitting the right notes, adds a whole new dimension to the game. With the rest of the SingStar community able to look at and rate your efforts, there's plenty more reason to chuck in the odd dance move while you sing.

Closing Comments
Aside from additions like the Rap Meter and Duet mode, SingStar hasn't really innovated much since the first instalment. Some might have expected this first PS3 foray to improve more within the core game but, for fans, it's hard to see how Sony could make it better. It's difficult to know without the community in place just how big SingStar's online features will be, but the tools are certainly enough to make it massive. SingStar is really a game for everyone - all ages, gamers and non-gamers and a YouTube generation more than ready to take performing in front of friends, and indeed the world, to the next level. SingStar on PS3 doesn't pack in cheap gimmicks, it simply refreshes and updates a winning idea, and it does that well enough to ensure no one will be disappointed with its efforts.

IGN UK Ratings for SingStar (PS3)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
7.5 Presentation
Menus are slick and easy to navigate, if a bit underwhelming but the customisation feature is a neat one. 30 songs are included with the game to get you started.
6.5 Graphics
In-game, it's the same as usual. High-def and proper widescreen is supported and even older videos look decent on a big flatscreen telly.
8.5 Sound
Still the only karaoke game to offer all the original artist recordings, with a massive selection of brand new tracks and classic hits.
8.5 Gameplay
Masses of fun with friends. Head-to-head sing-offs are great, plus the opportunity to share your videos MySpace-style is hugely appealing.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
The 30 tracks on the disc are just the tip of the iceberg, with 350 songs promised by the beginning of next year. The only limit to how long you play is vocal stamina.
Great
OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Sounds pretty good, although for anyone playing offline - the experience seems to be the same as the PS2 version. Should be a solid driver of software/hardware once the PS3 gets even cheaper.

Pity to only have 30 songs on the disc though - thats 20Gigs of space...right? Guess they want their DLC revenue :P

(30 .mp3 songs fillsabout 120MB of space - they could have added upwards of 1000 tracks on one disc!)

EDIT: and I'm personally NOT impressed with 1 pound = 1 track. That comes to about $2.50AU per track (not sure what the pricing will be here in Australia, but hopefully no more than $2/track).

At that price, its actually more expensive than buying an album/CD from a music store (15 songs = $37AU, 12 songs = $30AU) - and tracks should be simpler to process than something like Rockband or Guitar Hero (shouldn't they)?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Well it's not just MP3 songs because each song is a video, though I don't know whether the video is High Def or not.

I would have to get pretty drunk to sing in my living room.

Now, a karaoke game like this for the car...that would get my money fast :)

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

cringer8 said:

You can install a PS3 (or any other console for that matter) in your car.

shams ...

These songs aren't just your regular 64kb shitty mp3 quality you get from a regular song dl site - they are mastered in 7.1 and come with the original music video (most of those had to be remastered ,because they obviously were/ and still are manly produced in SD) . That aside ofcourse there is a karaoke stream integrated ,which someone had to design and time preceisely ...

Around the Network
FilaBrasileiro said:
cringer8 said:

You can install a PS3 (or any other console for that matter) in your car.

I would never spend the money on an entire console (even a PS2) plus installation just to play one game in my car.

Just a standalone karaoke game that tracks your pitch and accuracy while storing your results/scores for later review.  I just like singing in the car, but I never know how well I'm actually doing :(

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

Lafiel said:
shams ...

These songs aren't just your regular 64kb shitty mp3 quality you get from a regular song dl site - they are mastered in 7.1 and come with the original music video (most of those had to be remastered ,because they obviously were/ and still are manly produced in SD) . That aside ofcourse there is a karaoke stream integrated ,which someone had to design and time preceisely ...

Well, if they come with the video - than this is a heap better. Review never mentioned this, so I had no idea about it. (EDIT - there is a vague mention of this - I missed it :<)

(I have a small collection of music videos from the early 90's - when I used to record and track weekly songs - I have the top 60 singles of the year, for 6 years running recorded on VHS - its pretty cool to crack them out and watch them).

EDIT2 - the review seems to infer that the music vids are still in SD - which doesn't actually matter. Its actually a pretty crap review, it could have gone into a lot more detail :(

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

shams said:
Lafiel said:
shams ...

Well, if they come with the video - than this is a heap better. Review never mentioned this, so I had no idea about it. (EDIT - there is a vague mention of this - I missed it :<)

(I have a small collection of music videos from the early 90's - when I used to record and track weekly songs - I have the top 60 singles of the year, for 6 years running recorded on VHS - its pretty cool to crack them out and watch them).

Shams what file size is your music? my songs are all 4MB - 7MBs a piece and when my audio streamer reencodes the steam is a 60MB file steam for each song (7.1 Uncompressed)

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

Shams what file size is your music? my songs are all 4MB - 7MBs a piece and when my audio streamer reencodes the steam is a 60MB file steam for each song (7.1 Uncompressed)

Why would I want 60MB songs, when I can store them for 4MB each?? :?

(i.e. if you can convert 4MB of data into 60MB ... you would store it as 4MB, right?) 

I hope the game/store isn't using uncompressed, 120MB track+video files (that would be silly). It would also suck up lots of space on the hard disk, and take ages to download (I have had 350MB episodes of Heroes take a couple of hours - if not longer - to download... I wouldn't be happy if a single "song" takes 40min plus?).

If anyone has some solid data on how big these songs/downloads are - I'd be interested to hear it. 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Really good impressions I see ... well this game was allways a big hit in the EU :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!