By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - sony's illegal business practice!!!!!!!

I support this thread.

Hope Sony gets hit by a good number of lawsuits. I'd join if given a non-expensive opportunity to do so.

Around the Network

I think for some (at least me) it is more about consumer rights and sony abusing them.

Dude go and take a break go outside and get some fresh air

Lets see here. Sony also took away 2 USB ports(use to have 4), PS2 emulation, and SACD(Super Audio CD). So I guess it was illegal to take away these things too right. The OS was taken out the slim PS3 and now Sony want it out the fat PS3. I see nothing illegal about what Sony doing. They did things to cut cost and make sercurity better. More XBL accounts been hacked than PSN. Sony is doing a damn good job in sercurity for PS3 owners. If the PS3 can be hacked through OS then Sony has the right to take it out. If you want to blame someone blame the hackers. Sony wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't for people like the geohot nerd.

jesus kung fu magic said:
Xero said:
1) You consented.

2) Nope, the PS3 is still other OS capable. You have no right to PSN, Sony can remove PSN services, or restrict PSN services, for whatever reason they like. And in this case if you want to use OtherOS, you get no PSN.

3) Once again, the service is still there, just don't update PSN. You have no legal right to complain about the removal of service of PSN and therefore no counter-argument here.

4) It is optional. PSN use is optional.

5) I don't really proper understand number 5. My PSP works fine. I updated... what's the problem?

Your points are flawed for the simple fact that eventually ps3 games will have the update in them and must be installed to play them.....no need for PSN there.

You have no legal right to play every piece of PS3 content. The PS3 supports PS3 format game discs as advertised, if you don't want to update to play specific games that's your decision. 

Unless you find a PS3 advert where OtherOS and a game which requires firmware 3.23 or further are advertised together. 

System Software License for the PS3 system
"Without limitation, services may include the provision of the latest update or download of new release that may include security patches, new technology or revised settings and features which may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content, or use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with the PS3™ system."
Aka Sony can change whatever they want, when they want, and there updates can be distributed through services WITHOUT LIMITATION (they can force you to install it to use these services). This legislation is referenced on the back of every PS3 box, and on the back of every PS3 game. 

System Software License for the PS3 system

"Without limitation, services may include the provision of the latest update or download of new release that may include security patches, new technology or revised settings and features which may prevent access to unauthorized or pirated content, or use of unauthorized hardware or software in connection with the PS3™ system."

Aka Sony can change whatever they want, when they want, and there updates can be distributed through services WITHOUT LIMITATION (they can force you to install it to use these services). This legislation is referenced on the back of every PS3 box, and on the back of every PS3 game. 

Around the Network

How about software piracy? Do you care about game developers losing money that could otherwise go towards making more games for the consumer? Do you think PS3 owners care more about PS3 games or about a crappy running version linux?

thranx said:
emo_parker said:
What a waste of internet space this guy is..

Lets sue Microsoft for removing the old blade interface.

Lets sue Sony for removing the old crappy html PSN store.

You must not understand what this is about. It is about consumers getting what is advertised. Using other OS was advertised as someting the ps3 could do, and was touted as an attribute to the ps3. The blade interface was not, neither was the old psn store, both of which you have substitutes for mind you. This about something being taken away from a system that may have been the reason a person bought it. very different from what you said

AND IT STILL CAN!

if you choose not to update you can still use linux...yes or No?

if you choose not too do you still have the function of Linux..yes or no?

Has sony informed the Owner's of the Phat PS3 what they would loose access too before they decide to not update ..yes or no?

the point being is Sony is covered. it's still as advertised, with changes's to How OTHER OS FUNCTION WORK'S! it works prior to 3.21

before there was not CON's to using Linux. On the PS3, Now there is due to security concern's which Sony did tell the consumer before they released this update to be used or not used.

the point is how much does Linux mean to you

if its very important, than do not update. and you still get to keep Linux.

so sony is not forcing the consumer to update, you can choose not too therefore it's still work's as advertised.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Why do people buy a PS3? Mostly to play games and watch blu ray moves right. Maybe listen to music, look at photos, or go on web browser also. Not many people will say they bought a PS3 for the OS feature. If you did then you don't deserve a PS3. Sale it to someone who will make better use of it so that you don't complain like a baby anymore and we don't see anymore crazy threads like this.

joeorc said:
thranx said:
emo_parker said:
What a waste of internet space this guy is..

Lets sue Microsoft for removing the old blade interface.

Lets sue Sony for removing the old crappy html PSN store.

You must not understand what this is about. It is about consumers getting what is advertised. Using other OS was advertised as someting the ps3 could do, and was touted as an attribute to the ps3. The blade interface was not, neither was the old psn store, both of which you have substitutes for mind you. This about something being taken away from a system that may have been the reason a person bought it. very different from what you said

AND IT STILL CAN!

if you choose not to update you can still use linux...yes or No?

if you choose not too do you still have the function of Linux..yes or no?

Has sony informed the Owner's of the Phat PS3 what they would loose access too before they decide to not update ..yes or no?

the point being is Sony is covered. it's still as advertised, with changes's to How OTHER OS FUNCTION WORK'S! it works prior to 3.21

before there was not CON's to using Linux. On the PS3, Now there is due to security concern's which Sony did tell the consumer before they released this update to be used or not used.

the point is how much does Linux mean to you

if its very important, than do not update. and you still get to keep Linux.

so sony is not forcing the consumer to update, you can choose not too therefore it's still work's as advertised.

Stop spinning and defending Sony, THEY ARE FORCING people to choose Other OS or potentially kill their PS3 for gaming.  This is forcing people to choose, therefor it is a forced decision.  Fair enough if you don't think its a big issue but the fact remains this is a mandatory update if you want PSN right now and in the future it will be mandatory for new games.  Pros and cons don't matter to a consumer, a feature that was present on their console when bought is being taken away, that is WRONG.

Honestly nothing better to do?

May the adjustments be with you

I feel a disturbance in the sales