By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using 3D glasses from the theatres at home?

So, I just got a pair of 3D glasses from Alice in Wonderland:

It's the upper ones, with the same color in both lenses. Not the red and blue ones.  Can I use them at home to see something on the PC or TV, or is it just useless?

Youtube seems to have only 3D videos for the R&B glasses.

Around the Network

Nooo. Completely different types of glasses.

The way 3D glasses work is that they separate the image you see into two images and only allows one of those images into one eye and allows the other image into the other eye (I assume you know how we see in 3D already, if not just Google it). There are different "formats" of these glasses.

When you go to the cinema the lenses let polarised light through. Imagine it like this, the cinema has two projectors projecting onto one screen. The two projectors emit different kinds of light, one light goes clockwise, the other goes anti clockwise. The lenses on the polarised glasses allow the relative light in and exclude the other. So one lens only allows only clockwise light through and does not let anticlockwise light through, and vice a versa.

Your glasses for home do not work the same way, they are red/cyan glasses. They do not work on polarisation as it is impossible for your Monitor or TV to polarise light, let alone display two separate video streams at the same time. These are based on colour alone through a single video stream. Instead of excluding polarised light, it excludes colour in the same way. If you look at something blue through the red lens of your glasses it will appear black, this is because that lens does not allow blue images through. one lens only allows blue images through and one lens only allows red images through in the same way the polarised glasses only allow certain polarised light through their relative lenses.

Anyway, I can talk on this subject all day. But I've realised that I'm rambling, so in short, no, no you can't use your polarised glasses for red/cyan films at home.

Your signature is fucking creative,LOL.

sbvgc2012 said:
Your signature is fucking creative,LOL.

Watch your language.

I was so dissapointed when I tried them on YouTube with no avail :(