By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect 2 sales in the toilet-- is the reason ME1?

coolbeans said:
SaviorX said:
"The other hindrance, from what a certain ME fan told me, is that ME has a lot of annoying gameplay issues that turn off several people. "

Damn right it did, and Bioware did nothing in the form of a patch or anything. I would not buy Mass Effect 2 for the simple fact that the first was constantly loading, slow, and glitchy mess technically. The actual gameplay is great, but you have to suffer through a lot of s**t in order to enjoy it. In the end it almost is not worth it.

If ME2 has completely gotten rid of the problems, it is worth buying, but the first one may have done too much damage. Super Bowl ad didn't work too well huh?

What? Installing the game made that non-existant in '08 and they've made updates as well.

First off, I don't have a hard drive yet, so I can't download 6.5 gigs worth of data just to get the game to run faster.

Second of all, the only loading the installation (for a console game, seriously?) removes is when you are already in a level and the word loading (along with a spinning disc) appears out of nowhere. The game still takes a while to load when traversing planets and elevator rides are excruciatingly long. The most an installation can cut down on all the OTHER loading you did not mention is by 1 second at most according to what I found on Google.

As for RPGs all having long load times, ME1 has the longest and most frequent I have played in recent memory. It literally breaks up all sense of pace most times.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
GreyianStorm said:
kitler53 said:
i would suggest clicking the following link:

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Mass+Effect+2++-+X360[28815]&reg2=All&game2=Mass+Effect+-+X360[7635]&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=100

While that does show ME2 outselling ME1, you'll notice that it is actually now selling less per week than the original in the comparable weeks:

Week Mass Effect Mass Effect 2
1 394,757 961,290
2 271,280 268,077
3 144,359 151,848
4 136,931 83,891

6 92,295 37,865
7 55,936 26,541
8 37,851 20,627
9 35,324 16,721
10 35,212 -

As you can see, ME2 has declined extremely quickly. I know sequels are generally more front loaded, but it is down almost 20k per week on the original after just 9 weeks.

ME1 came out in the holidays though.

I wasn't aware of that (RPGs never interest me, so I don't keep track of when any are releasing). Even so, I doubt that ME2 will get much of a holiday boost. I think it will end up rather like KZ2, too early in the year to still be in the public eye to receive a massive holiday boost. I also think that ME2 is more vulnerable to the whole concept of sequels selling primarily to buyers of the original. ME2 will find it harder than most games to get new buyers, despite its stellar reviews. This is all just my opinion, of course.

Lets compare a few current-gen IPs against eachother:

Title 1st Game 2nd Game 2nd game lead (in %)
Mass Effect 1,306,000 1,622,000 24% (9 weeks)
Uncharted 1,373,000 3,078,000 124% (23 weeks)
Resistance 2,648,000 1,829,000 -31% (70 weeks)
No More Heroes 141,000 82,000 -42% (8 weeks, US only)
Assassin's Creed 3,561,000 3,530,000 -1% (19 weeks, X360)
Gears of War 4,965,000 5,633,000 13% (73 weeks)

I'd say that the success of sequels has been incredibly varied. UC2 is the only sequel (AFAIK) to really get massive boosts from its debut launch. I am sure my list is suspect - as I am probably forgetting a few titles. However, in general, you can see that there is no definable metric to gauge ME2 against.

Unlike every other game on the chart, though, Mass Effect 2 is the only one (AFAIK) that launched in a different season than the original. Uncharted, Resistance, NMH, AC and GoW all debuted at similar apples-to-apples launch periods, whereas ME2 was launched in January coming off of Christmas boosts vs. ME1 which debuted in early November. That would play a big part.

Throw in the fact that ME2 also had a day-and-date PC launch, and I would think that some sales may have went to the PC vs. the 360. I don't have ME2 vs. ME1 PC numbers onhand, but I would venture to say that ME2 was a bit more successful.

Ultimately, ME2 is a great game, and its sales will persist for a long time, I think. Is it slowing down? Yes. Should it sell better? Absolutely, yes. But I think that overall, BioWare should be happy with what its doing.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

SaviorX said:
coolbeans said:
SaviorX said:
"The other hindrance, from what a certain ME fan told me, is that ME has a lot of annoying gameplay issues that turn off several people. "

Damn right it did, and Bioware did nothing in the form of a patch or anything. I would not buy Mass Effect 2 for the simple fact that the first was constantly loading, slow, and glitchy mess technically. The actual gameplay is great, but you have to suffer through a lot of s**t in order to enjoy it. In the end it almost is not worth it.

If ME2 has completely gotten rid of the problems, it is worth buying, but the first one may have done too much damage. Super Bowl ad didn't work too well huh?

What? Installing the game made that non-existant in '08 and they've made updates as well.

First off, I don't have a hard drive yet, so I can't download 6.5 gigs worth of data just to get the game to run faster.

Second of all, the only loading the installation (for a console game, seriously?) removes is when you are already in a level and the word loading (along with a spinning disc) appears out of nowhere. The game still takes a while to load when traversing planets and elevator rides are excruciatingly long. The most an installation can cut down on all the OTHER loading you did not mention is by 1 second at most according to what I found on Google.

As for RPGs all having long load times, ME1 has the longest and most frequent I have played in recent memory. It literally breaks up all sense of pace most times.

You mean install right?

ME1 was a big step forward for the genre and rpg's. The only problem I had was the texture pop-in that was hardly game-breaking. To blame ME2's 'bad' sales on ME1's 'low' quality is ill-informed. You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

ME2's larger drop-off is due to six things: 1. Larger initial sales so the relatively few rpg fans on 360 mostly bought it early. 2. January release date as stated above. 3. Arguably the best competition any Jan. release has ever faced. 4. A slowdown in Others especially for western products. We can argue the reasons but not the nos. 5. A design shift away from traditional RPG style to appeal to TPS fans may have backfired.

6. I believe the anti-ME2 feellng prominently displayed week after week here and anywhere PS3 fans gather, started with a review sub-titled 'deal with it". By writing that ME2 was a better overall game than last year's GOTY and PS3 darling Uncharted 2, Greg Miller of IGN has unleashed a storm of hate. Quite ironic as I believe the reasons he added that were to assert his right to that opinion and to show just how unreasonable some PS3 fans have become. That and of course hits.

I really thought this thread would be more of the same. ME2 will do 3m with or without you.

Around the Network

Yes but for Uncharted you don't need to play the first one to make sense of everything. The sad part of ME is that without playing the first one you are missing out.

It isn't as bad as Assassins Creed though. Cuz the first game sucked donkeydick but you needed to play it to understand everything

Huya said:

Your also forgetting that Mass Effect 1 kinda got a price cut fast~~ for the past year it was only 19,99 here!

If anything the PC version did is increase the amount of pirates, you still need a high end pc to play ME2 so why bother if you got a xbox360

Edit: All my friends that got Mass effect pirated it on the PC :(. Apart from 1

ME2 doesn't require a high end PC :\ Where did you hear such lie. Infact, word is that ME2 runs even better than ME1 on PC.

ME2 has pretty low requirements imo. A $300 PC can definitely run ME2.

shio said:
Huya said:

Your also forgetting that Mass Effect 1 kinda got a price cut fast~~ for the past year it was only 19,99 here!

If anything the PC version did is increase the amount of pirates, you still need a high end pc to play ME2 so why bother if you got a xbox360

ME2 doesn't require a high end PC : Where did you hear such lie. Infact, word is that ME2 runs even better than ME1 on PC.

A 300 dollar PC including everything can run better then a xbox360?

mrstickball said:

Lets compare a few current-gen IPs against eachother:

Title 1st Game 2nd Game 2nd game lead (in %)
Mass Effect 1,306,000 1,622,000 24% (9 weeks)
Uncharted 1,373,000 3,078,000 124% (23 weeks)
Resistance 2,648,000 1,829,000 -31% (70 weeks)
No More Heroes 141,000 82,000 -42% (8 weeks, US only)
Assassin's Creed 3,561,000 3,530,000 -1% (19 weeks, X360)
Gears of War 4,965,000 5,633,000 13% (73 weeks)

I'd say that the success of sequels has been incredibly varied. UC2 is the only sequel (AFAIK) to really get massive boosts from its debut launch. I am sure my list is suspect - as I am probably forgetting a few titles. However, in general, you can see that there is no definable metric to gauge ME2 against.

Unlike every other game on the chart, though, Mass Effect 2 is the only one (AFAIK) that launched in a different season than the original. Uncharted, Resistance, NMH, AC and GoW all debuted at similar apples-to-apples launch periods, whereas ME2 was launched in January coming off of Christmas boosts vs. ME1 which debuted in early November. That would play a big part.

Throw in the fact that ME2 also had a day-and-date PC launch, and I would think that some sales may have went to the PC vs. the 360. I don't have ME2 vs. ME1 PC numbers onhand, but I would venture to say that ME2 was a bit more successful.

Ultimately, ME2 is a great game, and its sales will persist for a long time, I think. Is it slowing down? Yes. Should it sell better? Absolutely, yes. But I think that overall, BioWare should be happy with what its doing.

....why did you throw No More Heroes in there? In terms of sales, it isn't even the same ballpark. In terms of budget...it isn't there either. If you wanted to use a Wii title, you should've used maybe Cod: WaW vs Reflex, or....Umbrella Chronicles vs Darkside Chronicles.

It just seemed really out of place is all.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Huya said:
shio said:
Huya said:

ME2 doesn't require a high end PC : Where did you hear such lie. Infact, word is that ME2 runs even better than ME1 on PC.

A 300 dollar PC including everything can run better then a xbox360?

$300 for a PC that runs on low settings atleast. The Xbox360 version should be comparable to the lower settings of the PC version, and it defintely loses in gameplay/controls against the PC version.