By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Removing Linux Does Not Make PS3 Hack-Proof

Getting tired of having to write it over and over again while ignorant people keep repeating the myth that by taking away the 'Other OS' option Sony is preventing any PS3 hacks. That is Sony-propaganda, and complete and utter nonsense. Removing Linux at this point won't stop anything. The genie is out of the bottle. Furthermore, Linux won't be needed to exploit any security holes once they are found. Fact.

All Sony achived by this panic reaction is to make the wrong crowd angry (so far you could run your own programs on PS3, now you can't), which means we'll see a useful hack rather sooner than later. Sony effectively shot themsleves in the foot. Deal with it.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

They wont listen to you it doesnt fit their agenda or the angelic halo over Sony head.

Sony is heaven all they say is truth and all they do is good

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Heh, yeah. See, I do like PS3, I think it's a very good piece of hardware. But that doesn't make me blind or somehow shield me from reality.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

Damnyouall said:

Getting tired of having to write it over and over again while ignorant people keep repeating the myth that by taking away the 'Other OS' option Sony is preventing any PS3 hacks. That is Sony-propaganda, and complete and utter nonsense. Removing Linux at this point won't stop anything. The genie is out of the bottle. Furthermore, Linux won't be needed to exploit any security holes once they are found. Fact.

All Sony achived by this panic reaction is to make the wrong crowd angry (so far you could run your own programs on PS3, now you can't), which means we'll see a useful hack rather sooner than later. Sony effectively shot themsleves in the foot. Deal with it.

Stop then...

What genie?

We're in year 4 now and that was the only security hole we've seen. Perhaps someday there will be another but after 3 years, people have been saying this. The ONE hole that was found wasn't even part of the PS3's firmware itself... think about that.

Ok. 

4 ≈ One

While I think it's nice that you two have your own little club, there are also other hobbies you could try:)

Around the Network
Damnyouall said:

i am not a fanboy or anything but right now... is it possible to hack a PS3 slim? just trying to understand your statement since your show no prof other than your word... not that i am calling you a lier or something but since i don't understand many here also wont and if you want to "open" peoples eyes i suggest a little more than your word! facts will do!

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Get over it.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

@Dgc1808

Genie = a way to change the contents of the RAM. The LV2 cache has been dumped. Your post shows that you don't understand what exactly was done, and how.

Damnyouall, this obviously isn't the forum you should be trying to make friends on this subject for, I'm sure they'd love to have you over at the playstation blog about this update, though, lol, something like 3700 replies and counting...

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

Damnyouall said:

4. What is the SmartScan technology?
SmartScan is a unique technology for fast disk structure restoring. The data is restored from the information obtained from disk scan. A physical or logical disk, disk region, or disk image saved as a file can be scanned. SmartScan can restore all previous partitions if the scanned disk has some direct or indirect partitions data on a hard drive. SmartScan allows you to interactively control and modify these data during scanning.

if the scan find's you have multiple partition's on your PS3's internal harddrive than they know it's hacked.

thus they know you have Linux on your system and will deny access to PSN, all because Geohot used a MOD CHIP to gain what he did also helped Sony make this choice

of No Linux on the PS3.

there is still BD-JAVA for home brew.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.