By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So will the 3DS be considered the first 8th generation console?

Mr Khan said:
Chris Hu said:
The 3DS will be the first hand held console in the 4th generation of hand held consoles. The 8th generation will start when the true successor to the 360, Wii or PS3 will hit the market.

6th. GBC was in its own separate generation, because it had its own separate set of competitors compared to the original Game Boy, and there was a predecessor generation before the Game Boy, involving the Game and Watch and something called the Microvision.

I dunno, I think GBC's competitors (NGPC, WS/C) could be just as easily lumped in with GBA.  They're all within like 2 years of each other.

Around the Network

They still count in the handhelds as part of the console generations.

If 3DS was a successor why it still be considered in the same generation as the DS.

jarrod said:
Mr Khan said:
Chris Hu said:
The 3DS will be the first hand held console in the 4th generation of hand held consoles. The 8th generation will start when the true successor to the 360, Wii or PS3 will hit the market.

6th. GBC was in its own separate generation, because it had its own separate set of competitors compared to the original Game Boy, and there was a predecessor generation before the Game Boy, involving the Game and Watch and something called the Microvision.

I dunno, I think GBC's competitors (NGPC, WS/C) could be just as easily lumped in with GBA.  They're all within like 2 years of each other.

The Wonder Swan is in a peculiar place. did it even launch in the West at all? And the Neo Geo Pocket Color really had no overlap with the GBA, as it was effectively dead by then, and was clearly meant as a competitor to the GBC.

I'll admit a lot of this is debatable, but chronologically it really looks like it's own little generation between 98 and 01. A short one, to be sure, but something distinct from what went on from 89 to 98 or 01 to 04

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
jarrod said:
Mr Khan said:
Chris Hu said:

The Wonder Swan is in a peculiar place. did it even launch in the West at all? And the Neo Geo Pocket Color really had no overlap with the GBA, as it was effectively dead by then, and was clearly meant as a competitor to the GBC.

I'll admit a lot of this is debatable, but chronologically it really looks like it's own little generation between 98 and 01. A short one, to be sure, but something distinct from what went on from 89 to 98 or 01 to 04

Well, the only reason NGPC "died" is that Aruze bought SNK and literally killed it.  The system was actually selling better than expected and exceeding SNK's own targets. Plus NGP/C lines up perfectly with Dreamcast timeline wise (and indeed, did "connectivity" with it too). Dreamcast was also pretty much done by the end of 2000, but I wouldn't lump it in with N64/PS1 generationally.

I dunno, I tend to lump GBC in with the GBPocket/Pokemon fueled "2nd lifecycle" we saw for Game Boy.  It's more like 89 to 94, then 95 to 00 for the original Game Boy, with GBC being just part of that.  NGP/C in 98/99 and WS/C in 99/00 were really more the start of the next cycle, even if neither lasted that long...