By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Blatant Lie (About Other OS)

badgenome said:
It's very simple:

Tux is a penguin. Penguins are black and white.

Barack Obama is the president. He is also black and white.

Everyone who opposes Barack Obama is a racist.

Therefore, everyone who opposes Tux is a racist.

Sony is a racist confirmed.

And this is only the beginning! Rumours are that the next PS3 exclusive DLC for FFXIII will feature a fried chicken chocobo+watermelon+kool aid combo-power-up that transforms Lionel Richie Sazh Katzroy into a wererapper.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

>> Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue
>> the support for previously sold models that have the
>> “Install Other OS” feature and that this feature will
>> not be disabled in future firmware releases.

"The text above was provided to me by SCE management" -Geoffrey Levand, sony.com

I see, so what is provided by the management of Sony Computer Entertainment to their representatives is not official. And any time such statements get relayed, they may or may not be true. And if they turn out to be untrue, that is of course not a lie.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Icyedge said:
slowmo said:
So everyone who is calling anyone complaining out names just answer one simple question. Did Sony lie? Once you've all said yes we can close the thread.

Im willing to say yes to  "Did an employee from Sony lied?" he probably had no clue at all actually. Can you point me to the official statement from Sony they would never remove the "other OS" function, I didnt read it yet. The claim of a claim by a PS3 linux maintainer on a forum should been treated as a rumor to begin with (look for whats underline):

> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:58 -0700, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com wrote:
>> The feature of “Install Other OS” was removed from the new
>> “Slim” PS3 model to focus on delivering games and other
>> entertainment content.
>>
>> not be disabled in future firmware

releases.
>
> Although it’s disappointing that Sony have removed the feature from new
> models, It’s good to have this public assurance from Sony that at least
> the feature won’t be removed from older models which are already
> working.

Please understand that in my position as PS3-Linux maintainer
I can really only provide users with technical support for
Linux and the LV1 hcall interface.

The text above was provided to me by SCE management. If
you have any questions regarding it or any other feature
of the PS3 please contact the Playstation Customer Support
in your country.
Using Playstation Customer Support will
insure your inquiry is processed through the correct
channels within SCE.

-Geoff

The guy is actually a PS3-Linux maintainer claiming that he got this confirmation from SCE. Adding that, "I can really only provide users with technical support for Linux and the LV1 hcall interface". Even him says to not take his words seriously lol. Its not his job to officially announce anything from Sony, hence should be taken as a rumor. Since when are we using technician post on a forum as a official claim from Sony?

Please note that I dont agree with Sony in removing "'other OS". I also find it borderline illegual because when you purchase a PS3 they greatly encourage you to subscribe to PSN to enjoy the whole experience. But now they simply say: "If you wanna keep it forget PSN." They shouldnt have removed the "Other OS" function. When they sold fat PS3, they advertise PSN and "other OS" as PS3 inherent features. Im only taking the time to post this because what your trying to prove "Sony are lyers" is pure fanboyism and will not get us anywhere. I cant even understand why someone started a thread named "Sonys blatant lies" and then use the claim of a claim of a technician on a forum to justify his attack. And yes, this thread should be close. A long time ago actually...

Thats about all I agree with you in your post.  I actually think there was grounds to close it on the first page as this discussion could have been covered in the other thread but on this forum it seems the mods don't mind multiple threads on the same issue for some reason.

Damnyouall said:

>> not be disabled in future firmware releases.

"The text above was provided to me by SCE management" -Geoffrey Levand, sony.com

I see, so what is provided by the management of Sony Computer Entertainment to their representatives is not official. And any time such statements get relayed, they may or may not be true. And if they turn out to be untrue, that is of course not a lie.

How do we know it was provide by SCE? Geoff Levand is a technician not a PR. He either have no clue, was lied to, or a supervisor at SCE gived him his 2 cents. A supervisor lying or giving his 2 cents to an employee is not an official statement.

slowmo said:
Icyedge said:
slowmo said:
So everyone who is calling anyone complaining out names just answer one simple question. Did Sony lie? Once you've all said yes we can close the thread.

Im willing to say yes to  "Did an employee from Sony lied?" he probably had no clue at all actually. Can you point me to the official statement from Sony they would never remove the "other OS" function, I didnt read it yet. The claim of a claim by a PS3 linux maintainer on a forum should been treated as a rumor to begin with (look for whats underline):

> On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 09:58 -0700, geoffrey.levand at am.sony.com wrote:
>> The feature of “Install Other OS” was removed from the new
>> “Slim” PS3 model to focus on delivering games and other
>> entertainment content.
>>
>> not be disabled in future firmware

releases.
>
> Although it’s disappointing that Sony have removed the feature from new
> models, It’s good to have this public assurance from Sony that at least
> the feature won’t be removed from older models which are already
> working.

Please understand that in my position as PS3-Linux maintainer
I can really only provide users with technical support for
Linux and the LV1 hcall interface.

The text above was provided to me by SCE management. If
you have any questions regarding it or any other feature
of the PS3 please contact the Playstation Customer Support
in your country.
Using Playstation Customer Support will
insure your inquiry is processed through the correct
channels within SCE.

-Geoff

The guy is actually a PS3-Linux maintainer claiming that he got this confirmation from SCE. Adding that, "I can really only provide users with technical support for Linux and the LV1 hcall interface". Even him says to not take his words seriously lol. Its not his job to officially announce anything from Sony, hence should be taken as a rumor. Since when are we using technician post on a forum as a official claim from Sony?

Please note that I dont agree with Sony in removing "'other OS". I also find it borderline illegual because when you purchase a PS3 they greatly encourage you to subscribe to PSN to enjoy the whole experience. But now they simply say: "If you wanna keep it forget PSN." They shouldnt have removed the "Other OS" function. When they sold fat PS3, they advertise PSN and "other OS" as PS3 inherent features. Im only taking the time to post this because what your trying to prove "Sony are lyers" is pure fanboyism and will not get us anywhere. I cant even understand why someone started a thread named "Sonys blatant lies" and then use the claim of a claim of a technician on a forum to justify his attack. And yes, this thread should be close. A long time ago actually...

Thats about all I agree with you in your post.  I actually think there was grounds to close it on the first page as this discussion could have been covered in the other thread but on this forum it seems the mods don't mind multiple threads on the same issue for some reason.

You didnt agree with the part we shouldnt use a technician blog post as an official statement from SCE???

Around the Network
Damnyouall said:
I really don't get how anyone can defend this move by Sony. No matter how you look at it, it's bad. It's bad for Sony's repuation. It's bad for the consumers. It doesn't stop hacking, it only encourages it.

over react much?

letsdance said:
Damnyouall said:
I really don't get how anyone can defend this move by Sony. No matter how you look at it, it's bad. It's bad for Sony's repuation. It's bad for the consumers. It doesn't stop hacking, it only encourages it.

over react much?

The part you have quoted is actually the most accurate statement he has said in this entire thread.

mirgro said:
letsdance said:
Damnyouall said:

over react much?

The part you have quoted is actually the most accurate statement he has said in this entire thread.

Its bad for Sonys rep to take out a feature no one knows about and the very minority who do dont care about it?

letsdance said:
mirgro said:
letsdance said:
Damnyouall said:

over react much?

Its bad for Sonys rep to take out a feature no one knows about and the very minority who do dont care about it?

Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean others don't. I for one will never touch SONY products if this is the way they handle the hardware I get from them. I bought the PS3 and it came with Linux support, I will be damned if they take it.

I bet you'd be bitching too if they removed video playback.

mirgro said:
letsdance said:
mirgro said:
letsdance said:
Damnyouall said:

over react much?

Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean others don't. I for one will never touch SONY products if this is the way they handle the hardware I get from them. I bought the PS3 and it came with Linux support, I will be damned if they take it.

I bet you'd be bitching too if they removed video playback.

Over react much? I don't even have a Ps3 and when I did I knew about the other OS feature and I still dont give a shit. Sony can gut the thing of all multimedia functions for all I care. Except blu-ry though cause then the games (the part I care about) wouldnt work.

Something also tells me you "will never touch SONY products" anyway so they arent losing out anyways