By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Blatant Lie (About Other OS)

Damnyouall said:

PS3 becomes an even better media center (that can play absolutely any format) if you use Linux instead of PS3 Media Server. You can run emulators on PS3 using Linux and play them on your TV. With Linux, you can use Firefox on your PS3.

While you're absolutely correct, my point was that a 'regular user' would never had used this feature in the first place. Only the core of the core and/or hackers would use this feature.

Those are far less than the 'average user'. Sony should never have even added this capability.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Damnyouall said:

PS3 becomes an even better media center (that can play absolutely any format) if you use Linux instead of PS3 Media Server. You can run emulators on PS3 using Linux and play them on your TV. With Linux, you can use Firefox on your PS3.

While you're absolutely correct, my point was that a 'regular user' would never had used this feature in the first place. Only the core of the core and/or hackers would use this feature.

Those are far less than the 'average user'. Sony should never have even added this capability.

yup, that pretty much sums it up. they made a stupid decision to add this (to attract a few more buyers?).

anyways i dunno all that much about this but i heard that geohot posted online that he could hack the ps3 or wtv using another os. The guy is a loser, he tries to make himself seem like the good guy in all this, like he's an innocent bystander and big evil sony has now punished all of us for one tiny little thing he did.

fact is, like its been said, sony made a stupid booboo in basically putting a feature that attracts hackers like shit attracts flies. BUT this is definitely not a pill they (are more importantly the devs) gotta swallow here. they have every right to do this and fact is the blame lies in geohot for pinning sony in a corner.

Random Canadian said:
Damnyouall said:
What makes you think that when PS3 is hacked that Linux will be needed to use the hack? Linux is just used to open the door. Obviously removing it now won't stop the hackers, because they simply won't update. On the contrary, they will work harder, because they now have a legitimate reason to hack PS3.
So all this does is punish regular users who bought the launch model for a lot of money.

Maybe because linux IS needed to use the hack?

Just a thought

Actually the idea is probably the following :

- fix the hack in a future firmware.

- Remove linux now so hackers can't hack the fix through linux....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Sony added that feature at the beginning to make the part of the community that usually hacks a system to do other stuff happy...( not the pirates but all the others that just want to play with technical stuff like a new processor).Pirates usually base their work on what those guys find out and by removing those guys from the equation Sony made the pirate works a lot harder...

The way the PS3 was originally set up, all those guys were happily playing on Linux and didn't contribute to the pirates efforts in breaking the PS3 for gaming purpose. Which is why the PS3 remained unhacked for so long.
So that feature served its purpose...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Who honestly cares about the otherOS feature? If sony themselves did not intend to ever have this feature listed on the ps3 and now to decide to end this feature let them. Quit being little babies about some feature 1% of the ps3 population uses for shits and giggles

Around the Network
Galaki said:
No matter how to twist it, the fact remains that Sony advertised Linux installable on PS3.
There are people that buy PS3s as cheap alternative for number crunching.

Regardless of how small the number of people that uses Linux, it still is a betrayal to their customers.

I am sure we'll see some class action lawsuit on this if it turns out to be... not April Fool's.

How could they buy PS3's for the feature when slims haven't had it for over 6 months.

NJ5 said:

What do you expect from a company which thought it was fine to "own" their customer's PCs by including a rootkit trojan in their music CDs?

Regardless of how awesome or not Sony's products are, no one can deny that they're pretty low in customer treatment and respect. Hopefully this episode will get more people to realize that.

You think its the company that decided to include a rootkit trojan deliberately? Where are your sources? If true, it also could be an angry employee or an error.

This does kinda tick me off, cause I was one of those who uses Linux on the PS3, mainly for emulators. Because of this update, I will no longer be updating my Phat and will either get a Slim this Summer or around Christmas. But that means no purchases of games at retail or online from me for Sony until I get around buying a Slim.

Though, honestly, I don't blame Sony completely. I mostly blame dumbass hackers. And not the ones who are happy working with PS3 Linux to make it better/faster and improve emulators for a small community. Though, I suppose they would be technically developers. No, I blame the ones who just want to make a name for themselves hacking something just so they can seem "cool" to their loser friends, as well as run pirated software, which hurts all gamers. Not to mention claiming it as your own work, while piggybacking on the 3+ yrs work done by others.

This is exactly what this guy did to the IPhone by jailbreaking it (which he is now claiming will also jailbreak the IPad). In the end, its people like this who are ruining gaming. Making developers come up with things that may seem annoying (Ubisoft making it neccessary to have an online connection at all times), but are neccessary to protect their life's work. And he wants to play the victim here? Please. Was the PS3 and Sony keeping him down? No. The only true victim here is us gamers.

well, I never used the feature so I dont really care. PS3 software sales benefit lots of gaming companies not sony alone so they actually may have gotten pressure to do this as well or just logic after psp's performance

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

superchunk said:
Damnyouall said:

That's besides the point. They did include it. It's a feature I paid for. And now they want to make me choose between two features I paid for: PSN and Other OS. Removing functionalities they paid for rightfully enrages consumers.

Furthermore, as we have establisheded, removing the Other OS feature won't hinder the hackers, nor will it eventually prevent a hack from being applied to any PS3. On the contrary, it will encourage hackers which means PS3 will be hacked sooner.

So who benefits from removing this?

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance