By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Piracy, which is worse?

Piracy, which is worse?

Video Games 33 30.84%

Movies 16 14.95%

Music 43 40.19%

Softwares 15 14.02%

Total:107

Which do you think is worse?

Around the Network

Film.

Why? Because I work in the industry!

Games have it bad, but only in PC games really. There is piracy on the consoles, but nowhere near as bad as the PC.

I don't know if music or film is worse, I assume they're both pretty bad, but I'm pretty sure both are worse off in terms of piracy than games.

@twesterm at least film has multiple markets outside of the box office (tv distribution, DVD/BR, rentals, hell even games themselves! etc) whereas most games have just the physical product and rentals to fall back on. Thought this is changing due to DLC and paid subscriptions.

Film definitely. My friend, her family is so poor but you wouldn't believe it with all the movies they have that their dad pirates.

And they have a giant HDTV. Not sure how big it is but damn can barely make rent but can afford a fucking huge TV.

Around the Network

I'm pretty sure music is the biggest. Everyone pirates music.

Why aren't there "all of the above" and "none of the above" options?

Personally I think all of those industries can structure themselves to produce their revenue in ways that effectively eliminates the economic viability of piracy. But they are all so invested in the traditional view of copyright that they allow the piracy monster to flourish and grow.

The easiest industries to reform in this respect are music and software (ever seen a pirated copy of Firefox or OpenOffice?) but once those are freed from the things that allow piracy to thrive the movie and game industries can be too.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

i'd say video games and heres why

Movies: box office is where its at and if a movie is anygood people will go see it in a theater rather than watch a bootleg.... I believe thats where most of the money is made anyway

Music: sure its the MOST pirated but i think the artists are hurt less then videogames i mean if a band is good they do gigs and shows honestly most bands make there money from shows CDs make up a pretty small percentage of most big bands income. I mean why do you think they go on tour for YEARS! sure its the fame but the money is there too.

software... i'm pretty sure they do ok like photoshop and stuff cause if somebody uses it professionally they wanna have a legit copy if they are gonna be making money off it ... businesses too.

but videogames only have one outlet the gamers... if the game dosnt sell well at first... its all bad for the creators. think about all the games that made the developers tank... lair .... bionic commando grin studios which is a damn shame cause bionic commando was fun as hell...

also its killing the psp! its killing an entire handheld console! (thats subject to debate but ouch on the software sales i mean whens the last time it had a million seller? look at its install base! piracy is a big problem)

Pirate Software - download and use
Pirate movies - download and watch
Pirate music - download and listen
Pirate videogames - download and wait a sec I play games on a console, not a computer... How does this work?

Oh sure it might not be complicated to a lot of you, but videogame pirating doesn't have nearly the mainstream ease of use the other media forms do.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

ITs between music and movies I would say I know people who have not bought a movie or a CD in years. More so the the CD's than movies. That is why I picked music.