By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why has Japanese 3rd party support almost completely ceased for the Wii?

It's been a very long time since any Japanese dev made a significant announcement and there aren't many upcoming games for the Wii from any Japanese dev. The most notable are Sengoku Basara 3 which is multiplat with the PS3 and DQX which might be 2 years away. Seems like this Year Nintendo might have to keep the Wii attractive all by themselves with SMG2, MoM, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Vitality Sensor and Zelda, because there's about nothing from the 3rd parties that could move any hardware or become a big hit. It's been happening since last year, when there were almost no big announcements and has been getting worse since then.

Why could this be? Devs know that there's a new Nintendo home console coming up soon? Devs will focus on the 3DS more and forget about home consoles? Devs think that the HD market is more lucrative and hence focus on them?

It's a mystery for me, with more than 10 million home consoles, Wii is getting about the same amount of games or less than the PS2 which is a dead console. What do you think?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

It may have been a very long time since a Japanese dev made a significant announcement for wii BUT it definetely hasn't been a long time since your last thread discussing this SAME issue.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I think Japanese devs may be even more resistant to the Wii's values than western devs. Look at what Japanese support Wii has gotten lately; Monster Hunter Tri, Samurai Warriors 3, Tales of Graces. What do these games all have in common? They could be done on any console. Even when Japanese devs do support Wii it seems they just want to make the same games they would have made on PS2 or PS3.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

wait for E3 and then ask

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

darthdevidem01 said:
It may have been a very long time since a Japanese dev made a significant announcement for wii BUT it definetely hasn't been a long time since your last thread discussing this SAME issue.

I think I have been discussing it at the end oflast year but I waited a bit because some people told me we were too early into the year to call it a trend. And we haven't heard of any projects so far. It's a bit worrying seriously. 3DS is around the corner and I don't know if that's good for the Wii or any other current gen console for the matter.

Every week I'm waiting for at least a little announcemnt in the Famitsu magazine and Wii is never getting anything. The announcements head to every other platform but the Wii. Even Nintendo will be publishing 3rd party games in the West.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Roma said:
wait for E3 and then ask

Well people have been saying this since TGS 08 and nothing came out from it. E3 is not exactly the best the place to look for Japanese announcements. TGS is, but many people said the same last year and there wasn't anything announced last year at TGS for the Wii, in fact it was the least represented console in the show.

The console is already into its fourth year, announcements and games should be ready by now, I doubt they will be waiting until the end of its life to start announcing stuff.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Yeah, compared to 360/PS3 the Wii has almost nothing from japanese devs

Fedor Emelianenko - Greatest Fighter and most humble man to ever walk the earth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVVrNOQtlzY

Demotruk said:
I think Japanese devs may be even more resistant to the Wii's values than western devs. Look at what Japanese support Wii has gotten lately; Monster Hunter Tri, Samurai Warriors 3, Tales of Graces. What do these games all have in common? They could be done on any console. Even when Japanese devs do support Wii it seems they just want to make the same games they would have made on PS2 or PS3.

Well, it's not true for all of them, but they do seem to need either a big IP or motion controls to succeed. Check out this 3rd party Wii top ten in Japan:

1. Monster Hunter 3 - Gamepad and established IP

2. Taiko Wii - Motion!

3. Dragon Quest Swords - Motion!

4. Taiko Wii 2 - Motion!

5. Resident Evil: UC - Motion!

6. Deca Sports: Motion!

7. Samurai Warriors 3: Gamepad and established IP

8. Monster Hunter G: Gamepad and established IP

9. Karaoke Joysound Wii: Pack-in Peripheral

10. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3: Motion!

I passed by 21 first party titles to get this top ten, and of course just about all of those made some use of motion. Why the hell are developers so afraid of it?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Demotruk said:

I think this has been the big problem:

Example from a developer's 1st hand experience:

Then in 1999, while attending the annual Game Developers Conference, Dr. Marx got a glimpse of the PlayStation 2. While other developers were captivated by the powerhouse graphics, Dr. Marx was more interested in the unheralded image-processing potential of the console's 128-bit chip.

''I saw that talk, went and got my resume and asked if I could submit it to their research group,'' he said.

Game developers are notoriously finicky when it comes to trying out new interfaces.

Even though it's a japanese system, That was true than as much as I can see it today. The developer's many today do not like the investment in these  control scheme's

I think there will be team's that will, but the majority will still concentrate on standard control pad's.

though the dedicated team's may infact grow now that all 3 system's now have Motion control system's that are more than just something thrown in. All three Have very robust motion control system's , So there is more way's that Development Team's can specialize in type's of game's that they want to do more so than before, because

3rd party now can do a game that's based on motion control's as it's main control scheme. before since the Nintendo Wii was the only one who had made their platform with a large direction to motion control's while the other 2 platform's did not have as much of a motion control direction, so 3rd party's that did not have dedicated team's to motion control's would most likely be a small team set up to do a game , but only have one platform to sell their game on. Now not to say they could not make pretty good sale's, but going up against 1st party Nintendo team's an their software, would not be the best outlook for your software sale's if your 3rd party.

but now that there is multiple platform's that the same software could be sold on , that may now change.

which mean's more 3rd party motion control team's that may be better for the 3rd party's to invest on getting more development team's that will make motion control themed game's because not just one platform is out there. Now I know that may seem a little uncool, since exclusive's happen all the time for the PS3 and the Xbox360 an yet the Wii has the most market share. but once again I think it all boil's down to this statement:

''I saw that talk, went and got my resume and asked if I could submit it to their research group,'' he said.

Game developers are notoriously finicky when it comes to trying out new interfaces.

I think that is what is going on , and why it has gone on for so long. but like I said that may now change. which is a very good thing.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

trestres said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I think I have been discussing it at the end oflast year but I waited a bit because some people told me we were too early into the year to call it a trend. And we haven't heard of any projects so far. It's a bit worrying seriously. 3DS is around the corner and I don't know if that's good for the Wii or any other current gen console for the matter.

Every week I'm waiting for at least a little announcemnt in the Famitsu magazine and Wii is never getting anything. The announcements head to every other platform but the Wii. Even Nintendo will be publishing 3rd party games in the West.

1. Wii got The Last Story AND Xenoblade announced actually....so your wrong.

2. After the DS launched, Wii & PS3 came 2 years after that.....so if the 3DS launches around 2011 (not counting delays), then we should expect PS4/Wii2/Xbox 720 around 2013 - 2014 which is possible.

3. Its been clear for 1 year now that the wii wasn't ever going to get support like a "winning" console would get....so whats the big deal?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey