By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Responds To Nintendo 3DS Announcement

Khuutra said:
leo-j said:

Well I hadn't read that, thank you for pointing it out. You are right nvidia did start 3d gaming on PC, and motion gaming on PC was started well before the wii was even though of, same goes with PS MOVE or any other motion controller in the market today.. So based on that.. what can we say? People are still going to call sony the one's rippin off NINTENDO, and when sony brings something to the mainstream market and suddenly nintendo decides to jump on that idea too, we can't say nintendo is "ripping" off anyone..

This little war between nintendo fans and sony fans is beyond stupid, and needs to stop already.

I've never once spoken concerning the impetus behind the development and release of the Move, so that's lost on me.

And the two situations aren't even analogous: Sony hasn't brought 3-D gaming to the mainstream yet.

You're not helping the "war" problem when you jump in with unresearched statements, leo-j.

But they will, sony is releasing the ps3 3D firmware update this spring, well before nintendo launches the new DS. But again, its stupid. Both Sony and nintendo have added to the gaming world in substantial ways, and both companies have taken, improved upon, and been influenced by things the other one has done. It works out best for gamers this way. For example, playstation move is clearly designed after the wiimote, but it looks to improve upon the precision and range of the motion controls which is a net boon for gamers everywhere. Add into the fact that now nintendo will have to come out with something to one up sony, and it gets even better. Its why I'm glad MS entered the industry, it hurt playstation sales, but it forced sony to raise the quality and quantity of its first party output to compete with an increasingly multiplatfrom industry. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
NJ5 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

haha no, he did not get owned...its a sample number of 3000, no where near the number of DS owners...this graph does not stay true to the gaming demographic of the ds....

You should get edumacated and learn some statistics. A sample size of a few thousand is damn good, even for an election poll.

i am taking statistics, and yes a few thousand is good in some cases, but there are so many other variables...like how the "interview" is, and the questions asked....however, i do not see it as a good source, i mean 3000 just isnt enough, ESPECIALLY since they were all surveyed in the same town

If you are indeed taking statistics, then your teachers are failing you.  First of all, a sample size of 3000 is MORE than enough to obtain a valid and significant data set from which the population can be generalized.  Granted, there are such things as flawed or biased sampling methods, but your arguement about "how the interview is" is pretty flimsy in this case because the question at hand cannot be "loaded".  Either you own a DS or you don't.  Secondly, I have taken 4 classes in human psychology, does that make me Freud?

Crazymann said:
radiantshadow92 said:
NJ5 said:
radiantshadow92 said:

haha no, he did not get owned...its a sample number of 3000, no where near the number of DS owners...this graph does not stay true to the gaming demographic of the ds....

You should get edumacated and learn some statistics. A sample size of a few thousand is damn good, even for an election poll.

i am taking statistics, and yes a few thousand is good in some cases, but there are so many other variables...like how the "interview" is, and the questions asked....however, i do not see it as a good source, i mean 3000 just isnt enough, ESPECIALLY since they were all surveyed in the same town

If you are indeed taking statistics, then your teachers are failing you.  First of all, a sample size of 3000 is MORE than enough to obtain a valid and significant data set from which the population can be generalized.  Granted, there are such things as flawed or biased sampling methods, but your arguement about "how the interview is" is pretty flimsy in this case because the question at hand cannot be "loaded".  Either you own a DS or you don't.  Secondly, I have taken 4 classes in human psychology, does that make me Freud?

Hope not he was suppose to be a bit of a ass

3D without the glasses?..RIGHT....

nintendo may not focus on the 8-10 yr old demographic, but the developers for the ds sure as hell do, i really wanna see this thing work but being 21 i don't wanna see this thing shoved with imagine games and my baby boy/girl or whatever stupid thing is next, as long as they get the development behind it and bring it to a wider demographic i totally agree with the sony rep.

Around the Network
leatherhat said:
Khuutra said:
leo-j said:

Well I hadn't read that, thank you for pointing it out. You are right nvidia did start 3d gaming on PC, and motion gaming on PC was started well before the wii was even though of, same goes with PS MOVE or any other motion controller in the market today.. So based on that.. what can we say? People are still going to call sony the one's rippin off NINTENDO, and when sony brings something to the mainstream market and suddenly nintendo decides to jump on that idea too, we can't say nintendo is "ripping" off anyone..

This little war between nintendo fans and sony fans is beyond stupid, and needs to stop already.

I've never once spoken concerning the impetus behind the development and release of the Move, so that's lost on me.

And the two situations aren't even analogous: Sony hasn't brought 3-D gaming to the mainstream yet.

You're not helping the "war" problem when you jump in with unresearched statements, leo-j.

But they will, sony is releasing the ps3 3D firmware update this spring, well before nintendo launches the new DS. But again, its stupid. Both Sony and nintendo have added to the gaming world in substantial ways, and both companies have taken, improved upon, and been influenced by things the other one has done. It works out best for gamers this way. For example, playstation move is clearly designed after the wiimote, but it looks to improve upon the precision and range of the motion controls which is a net boon for gamers everywhere. Add into the fact that now nintendo will have to come out with something to one up sony, and it gets even better. Its why I'm glad MS entered the industry, it hurt playstation sales, but it forced sony to raise the quality and quantity of its first party output to compete with an increasingly multiplatfrom industry. 

It is NOT designed after the wii mote, but its release was CLEARLY influenced on the success of the wii mote, so Im sure if we didn't have the wii mote being as successful as it was, we wouldn't have the PS move coming out.

Besides that, your post is absolutely correct..

im getting tired of nintendo fans posting "OH SONY RIPPING OFF NINTENDO AGAIN, THATS ALL THEY CAN DO"

mM
Joel12345 said:
3D without the glasses?..RIGHT....

It's older than dust my friend.

"We really feel like they're [Nintendo] appealing to the same audience that Game Boy has always appealed to ... They're potentially losing some of their core audience and they're not really expanding beyond that and we think we're expanding into a completely new audience as we did with PlayStation. And we'll do just what we did on PlayStation; we'll dip down to the younger consumer eventually and we'll ultimately appeal to that vastly Earth wide audience we carved out with the original PlayStation."-- Jack Tretton talking to GameDailyBIZ, 09/21/2006

Sony should be careful with what they say.

SONY said the same about "Nintendo is for kiddies" when the Wii Mote was announced.

I m not sure, but envy should be a SONY trademark, now i can see why they chose Nvidia as their GPU XD XD XD

Max King of the Wild said:
chichi-101 said:
Wow, the 3DS has everybody in an uproar (mainly Sony fans).

I'm want to know how Sony brought 3D gaming to the mainstream?

See khuutra? Wtf is this? I see no uproar on sonys fans part... (in this thread at least... where this post was made)

I'm not limiting this "uproar" (dramatic... I know) to this post, nor this website only, but I see thats a bit unfair. Its quite annoying though having people state that the DS is only for kids, considering I'm in my 20's, and love my DS. I was being just as baseless(IMO) as the people who defended the "DS is only for kids" statement that has been flying around this post.

I'm want to honestly know though what makes the PSP so much more "mature"?  Seriously.