By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When did FPS become the norm?

After completing Super Mario Galaxy I finally had the chance to sit back and not play games for a whole day and thats when I noticed that the last 4 games I bought, pre-mario, are all FPS! Bioshock, The Orange Box, Halo 3 and last of all Metriod Prime 3!

The last few months some of the most awesome FPS have come on to the market but I have to say I have started to feel a little jaded and as such Mario felt all the more fresher.

It seems like FPS have become the gaming bread and butter much like platformers where during the 90s and I though maybe it was something to do with technology coming to a point that many devlopers imaginations could finally be realised.

What are everyones elses thoughts? :)

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

Around the Network

I would say in PC terms between Quake and Quake 2. By the time Quake 3/UT had come around almost everything was FPS.

In console terms. Xbox360.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

They have always been popular, its just that consoles were never able to have pc quality FPS games until the original xbox came out. The controls never felt right before until the xbox game pad and xbox had higher 480 p resolutions which back then were revolutionary. Halo or maybe goldeneye can be credited to making it mainstream to consoles and Halo 2 made online multiplayer FPS games mainstream in the living room especially to casual gamers. FPS games was sadly overlooked genre on the PS2.

First came doom, then god saw it and it was good.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

from when xbox launched thats when a whole lot of fps's started to release,i think its mostly cause of halo

Around the Network

Yeah, FPS games became mainstream when people realized that Grand Theft Auto San Andreas's closest competitor was Halo 2.

For PC it was around 97/98 with Quake 2, Half-Life and 3D cards etc.

For consoles it was Halo back in 2001. It escalated with Halo 2 and a lot of other shooters and has now become the biggest genre for consoles as well.

Yeah, Halo and GTA 3 were probably the two most influential games last gen. It'll be interesting to see in what direction this gen's greater Nintendo success will push industry.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

What vengi and kilik said... which really made PC gaming boring and killed off a lot of good games from other genres (some still live, though)

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

ProfDallas said:
First came wolfenstein 3-D, then god saw it and it was good.

Fixed.