By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What happend to the "Sony is going to buy Rockstar" rumor?

ElGranCabeza said:
NYANKS said:
I know it's Wikipedia, but it states that sony's total assets as of 2009 are worth 230 billion dollars. Total equity is 50 billion, and net income was -1 billion last year. I find this topic intersting because I know so little regarding this.

Yeah so what does that all mean? Assets mean they own the stuff right? Net income means profit correct? Equity means what?

assets means what they own includes cash and tangible assets

net income is profit after production and other expenses.Its not pure profit.there is more to be deucted as taxes.PAT(profit after tax) is pure profit.

equity is the total value of all the shares of the company.

equity are not assets as people buy equity when company is profiting which will earn them profit and sell them.Equity is almost like betting and predicting stuff

Around the Network

Buying Rockstar wouldn't be very easy. Look how much Rare cost Microsoft. Rockstar has properties that are far more valuable.

fighter said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Rpruett said:
Sony has a lot more money than Nintendo and it's not even close. Nintendo might have more active cash at a given moment but that really means virtually nothing on an overall sense.

Every asset that Sony has could be liquidated for a ridiculous amount of money and trump anything Nintendo could ever want. Game Studios, Movie studios, Music Studios, Technology, Buildings, Product lines, etc, etc ,etc.

thankyou.atleast somebody understands

it's not as much understanding as repeating your mistake

The financial state of Sony is publicly known (financial results are an obligation).

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/index.html

Having such a huge debt is crippling Sony by the day. Nintendo has way more financial power than Sony.

You're failing to grasp a very simple concept here.  Sony may have lost 1 billion dollars in 2009.  (Which certainly is not good for them and hurts, but it's hardly 'crippling' Sony at this juncture.).   Sony the company is worth in the hundreds of billions (Which includes a wide, wide array of assets.)    Sony could liquidate half of their business tomorrow and make all of their 'losses' back and gain billions on top of that.   

There is no point in doing that though.  Why would they?  So their financial reports look healthier?    Certainly not.     Make no mistake about it,  Nintendo is poorer than Sony on a very real and legitimate sense. 

On a very simple sense,  It's a lot easier for Sony to garner 10 billion dollars on command and keep moving forward than it is for Nintendo.   For example,  If Person A has a bicycle and 20 dollars to his name and Person B has a Car and 10 dollars to his name.....Who has more money?   Person A may have more liquid cash but Person B easily could have 20x the amount of money that Person A does because they have more assets to their name. 

As this pertains to the thread,  I don't think Sony would dump tons of money into acquiring any of those companies because there isn't much of a need for it. 

Lurker said:
Buying Rockstar wouldn't be very easy. Look how much Rare cost Microsoft. Rockstar has properties that are far more valuable.

RARE cost microsoft so much cause it was a subsidary and their owners Nintendo and another party could price it as high as they want.

Rockstar too is a subsidary but its owner Take 2 pretty much survives because of GTA and other games like Bioshock,2K sports,midnight club.So it wouldn't be hard to say that Rockstar would cost 60% of what Take 2's valuation is today.

Take 2 valuation at max is around $2.5b.So Rockstar would cost around $1-1.5b

Rpruett said:
fighter said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Rpruett said:
Sony has a lot more money than Nintendo and it's not even close. Nintendo might have more active cash at a given moment but that really means virtually nothing on an overall sense.

Every asset that Sony has could be liquidated for a ridiculous amount of money and trump anything Nintendo could ever want. Game Studios, Movie studios, Music Studios, Technology, Buildings, Product lines, etc, etc ,etc.

The financial state of Sony is publicly known (financial results are an obligation).

Having such a huge debt is crippling Sony by the day. Nintendo has way more financial power than Sony.

You're failing to grasp a very simple concept here.  Sony may have lost 1 billion dollars in 2009.  (Which certainly is not good for them and hurts, but it's hardly 'crippling' Sony at this juncture.).   Sony the company is worth in the hundreds of billions (Which includes a wide, wide array of assets.)    Sony could liquidate half of their business tomorrow and make all of their 'losses' back and gain billions on top of that.   

There is no point in doing that though.  Why would they?  So their financial reports look healthier?    Certainly not.     Make no mistake about it,  Nintendo is poorer than Sony on a very real and legitimate sense. 

On a very simple sense,  It's a lot easier for Sony to garner 10 billion dollars on command and keep moving forward than it is for Nintendo.   For example,  If Person A has a bicycle and 20 dollars to his name and Person B has a Car and 10 dollars to his name.....Who has more money?   Person A may have more liquid cash but Person B easily could have 20x the amount of money that Person A does because they have more assets to their name. 

As this pertains to the thread,  I don't think Sony would dump tons of money into acquiring any of those companies because there isn't much of a need for it. 

yeah i understand.I agree completetly.That buying Rockstar isn't worth it.

Around the Network

Solid_Snake you havn't got a clue, why don't you leave the financial talk up to the people that know what they're talking about ...

Seece said:
Solid_Snake you havn't got a clue, why don't you leave the financial talk up to the people that know what they're talking about ...

so why don't you explain me,i could learn from you

Bollocks...Rockstar is far to big for them to buy them,the money it would cost them is too much.It would be worth it in terms of the gaming community's jaws dropping,but if it happened,it'd be half way through the 8th generation before Sony see some financial return.

I'd much rather Sony buy Square Enix,though that's equally as unlikely.

Playstation gaming for 18 years this 2012

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Seece said:

so why don't you explain me,i could learn from you

He's just jealous

Solid_Snake4RD said:
fighter said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Rpruett said:

financial results are an obligation but they do not disclose the exact amount of liquid or tangible assets.

and what debt are you talking about Sony,Sony just has loses but no debt.

Debt is what you have to pay back.Losses are suffered on your existing cash invested.

Abt "Nintendo has way more financial power than sony".I would have even considered you were debating if you said Nintendo had more liquid assets but you are talking about the whole Fiancial power and in that case Nintendo is noway near sony

Nintendo assets overall -$19b

Sony assets overall - $231b

LOL you are actually clueless

http://www.google.com/finance?fstype=ii&q=NYSE:SNE

Financial power is self explanatory dude, whenever You want to buy something the easyness with wich you will do it depends on your purchase power. The more debt you have the less people are going to let you take risks.

Nintendo has almost always maintained huge liquidities in order to invest as it wants. Sony on the opposite has been confined in a doyuble binding since the 90's to maintain its' infrastructures (which can be measured by its' assets : fuckng heavyweight man) while trying to remain responsive, fit and competitive.

Since japanese are allergic to lay-offs in general Sony has had to call an American CEO for it to make the tough decisions. In the meantime it has contracted quite a few debts :

2009  -  2008  -  2007  -  2006

Total Current Liabilities 3,810,900.00 4,023,367.00 3,551,852.00 3,200,228.00
Long Term Debt 660,147.00 729,059.00 1,001,005.00 764,898.00