By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft made a motion controller in 1998 and they predicted Natal

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/1998/may98/devicepr.mspx

SideWinder Freestyle Pro Tightens Link Between Gamers and On-Screen Motion

SideWinder Freestyle Pro is a radical new free-motion PC game controller that uses sophisticated solid-state motion-sensing technology to deliver immersive, intuitive, proportional (sometimes referred to as analog) PC game control in supported games. Gamers control onscreen action along the X-axis by tipping the device left or right, and along the Y-axis by tipping the unit forward or backward. SideWinder Freestyle Pro is the first game controller to provide universal control, simultaneously delivering the proportional (analog) flexibility of a joystick and the digital precision of a game pad. The SideWinder Freestyle Pro gives gamers freedom of movement in a wide variety of joystick- and game pad-compatible game genres, such as arcade-style flying and driving.

In its motion-sensing mode, the SideWinder Freestyle Pro is a great match for many arcade-style drive-and-shoot and fly-and-shoot titles in which gamers maneuver vehicles within a 3-D landscape while aiming head, body or weapons.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Sidewinder-Freestyle-Game-A17-00001/dp/B00004Z729

From the manufacturer

Ready for something revolutionary? How about a game controller that enables you to control the game activity by simply tilting it in the direction you want to move. Nothing controls movement within today's 3-D action games better than the fluid motion of the SideWinder Freestyle Pro. Sit, stand, weave, and bob your way to victory - the SideWinder Freestyle Pro translates your body English into game movements for the ultimate immersive experience.

Product Description

Someday, you'll be able to have your every body motion detected by camera and transferred to a character or vehicle in a game, for total intuitive control. Until then, though, there's Microsoft's Freestyle Pro, an advanced gamepad with motion-sensing technology.Use the Freestyle Pro in joystick mode with motion-sensing on, and it responds to your hand and body movement, allowing for precision and freedom of movement simply by tilting the controller in different directions. Or switch off motion-sensing, and use the Freestyle Pro as a gamepad for greater speed and harder play. And if you're just that good, use both modes simultaneously for ultimate precision and freedom in your gaming experience! The Sidewinder Freestyle Pro is highly customizable, allowing you to fine-tune its sensitivity along each axis of movement and program game actions to hot-buttons. You can even save customized settings to game profiles, so you don't have to re-program the gamepad when you switch games. The Sidewinder Freestyle Pro uses either a standard gameport or a USB port, so it's sure to be compatible with the system you have now and the ones you'll have in the future. Microsoft Motocross Madness is included in the package, a perfect way to get started freestyling with your new gamepad.

Sounds like what the six-axis controller does (Sony copies Microsoft agian). And holy shit at the Nostradamus prediction in the product description.

Around the Network

NO!!!!!!!!! Nintendo did it first.They copied nintendo. I dont care if you have proofs.

pizzahut451 said:
NO!!!!!!!!! Nintendo did it first.They copied nintendo. I dont care if you have proofs.

hahahaha pure win 

this made my day

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

I have it, never really used the motion control though. still, I think the motion control was better than using that horrible "D-pad"

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

I remember this controller! Wow..it's been ages, and what a great predicitive decription.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

Around the Network

Didn't the tilt force 2 by Pelican Accessories come before it?

Edit: I can't find any release dates for this tech...

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

They obviously didn't do anything with it so it hardly matters.

Since MS didn't bother to integrate it into the standard Xbox control scheme or the Xbox 360 scheme, they clearly didn't see the relevance of motion controllers.

Technically, they still don't acknowledge the relevance of motion based controllers since they are offering controller free camera based controls derived from the Eye Toy instead.

This just goes to show that a controller is only as useful as the software designed to use it. No software; may as well not exist.

Please list 10 ways Sony has copied MS.

pizzahut451 said:

The better response would have been....

Power Glove!!!

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
pizzahut451 said:

The better response would have been....

Power Glove!!!

nord, would you happen to know when the tilt force 2 controller released?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!