By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Is Valkyria Chronicles a JRPG?

Yes it is. 102 46.15%

No. It is not. 68 30.77%

Just let it go, d21. Just let it go. 50 22.62%

Total:220
g-value said:

The "J" in JRPG means Japanese. We call games like Kingdom Hearts or Tales of or Demons Souls JRPGs because they were made in Japan. Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG from Japan. So I would call it a JSRPG.

What would you call Secret of Evermore then? :P

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

Nope.

lestatdark said:
g-value said:

The "J" in JRPG means Japanese. We call games like Kingdom Hearts or Tales of or Demons Souls JRPGs because they were made in Japan. Valkyria Chronicles is an SRPG from Japan. So I would call it a JSRPG.

A WRPG for "Western Role-Playing Game" since it was made in America by the American Squaresoft developers.

g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:

A WRPG for "Western Role-Playing Game" since it was made in America by the American Squaresoft developers.

Yes, because Secret of Evermore isn't like the carbon copy of Secret of Mana, in which it has the same battle mechanics, same UI, same inventory management, pretty much same everything, except the story :P 

But it's a WRPG, just because it was made in the west. I see. Thanks for confirming how skewed that classification really is xD  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

VC is a strategy RPG like Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Final fantasy Tactics etc. It is however still a JRPG because it IS a Japanese SRPG and SRPG is a sub-genre of RPG.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:

Yes, because Secret of Evermore isn't like the carbon copy of Secret of Mana, in which it has the same battle mechanics, same UI, same inventory management, pretty much same everything, except the story :P 

But it's a WRPG, just because it was made in the west. I see. Thanks for confirming how skewed that classification really is xD  

Yes, that is correct. There is no such thing as a genre called "JRPG". There is only "RPG". People put the W or J in front of the "RPG" because it tells where it was made.

g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:

Yes, that is correct. There is no such thing as a genre called "JRPG". There is only "RPG". People put the W or J in front of the "RPG" because it tells where it was made.

I wish that separation wouldn't be used in a derogatory way, unfortunatedly it's not so. That's why I think it's more correct to use the actual gameplay separations between genres and not localizations.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:

I wish that separation wouldn't be used in a derogatory way, unfortunatedly it's not so. That's why I think it's more correct to use the actual gameplay separations between genres and not localizations.

It really doesn't matter what you think. It is what it is.

g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:

Ha, it's what it is right? Then I guess when RPG's are categorized in Action RPG, Turn Based RPG, Strategy RPG, it's just flights of fancy then? Bah, we were having a perfectly good conversation till you tried to force opinion as fact. Anyway feel the way that you want to feel.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:
lestatdark said:
g-value said:

Ha, it's what it is right? Then I guess when RPG's are categorized in Action RPG, Turn Based RPG, Strategy RPG, it's just flights of fancy then? Bah, we were having a perfectly good conversation till you tried to force opinion as fact. Anyway feel the way that you want to feel.

If you want to call it those, then it will have to be "JARPG" for "Japanese Action Role Playing Game" or "JTBRPG" for "Japanese Turn Based Role Playing Game" since they are either Action or Turn Based RPGs made in Japan. If you want to discribe RPGs in a manner in which you call them Action RPG or Turn Based RPG, then what exactly is a JRPG to you? If you call them JRPG to show the "actual gameplay separation between genres" then wouldn't you call them either a Action RPG or a Turn Based RPG? How exactly does calling a game a JRPG discribe the kind of gameplay an RPG presents when the " J" in JRPG means Japanese? Is there a kind of combat system or gameplay mechanic called "Japanese" that I am not aware of?