By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will nextbox use blueray?

Will nextbox use blueray?

yes 77 41.62%

no, digital distribution 60 32.43%

all consoles will use blue ray 48 25.95%

Total:185
HanzoTheRazor said:
@heedstone

"blu-ray will be superceded by the time the next gen comes around anyway."

This one made me laugh! What rock do u live under, dude? BD is on fire! Sales are increasing at an amazing speed. It reached mass adoption last year and is well on it's way to replace DVD. In 3 years time we will have a BD market that will be very close to complete market share of all physical media sales.

Funny, it seems like it's always the people who have never bought films on physical media and file share etc, etc their movies instead who are against physical media and claim that DDL will take over next. I wanna know how having only DDL would be more benificial, cause I cannot see how. I do know it would give companies more control over us consumers and give us less choice over all. BOTH WILL EVENTUALLY CO-EXIST. Is this so hard to see?

WTF!?

I just checked the Blu-Rays sale percentage tracking thread and the latest numbers we had were these:

It is not even close to be head to head. DVD is here to stay for some years.

9:1 in favour of the DVD. Now some things to consider:

• This is revenue. A BD is more expansive than a DVD. So just going by sold discs will be even more dramatic.
  • This is US only I think. BluRay is even smaller in Europe since we don't have much HD content here anyway.
  • People said two or three years after the format war is finished, BluRay will take down DVD. That was 26 months ago and BluRay is still getting outsold by DVD.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

I thought CD tech belonged to Phillips? maybe Im wrong. As for DD. It gives publisher/corps too much control on pricing. Something Im not comfortable with. Apple got it right with movies/music but look at them now.. theyr gonna fuck us over with ebook prices on the IPad.

PSP Go is a huge FAIL too.. and its obvious why. Expensive, limited catalog.

Another thing that is horrible about DD is that most ISP's have download caps and it takes almost forever to download a 10GB game.

I'd say bluray is MS's best best next gen.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

DirtyP2002 said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
@heedstone

This one made me laugh! What rock do u live under, dude? BD is on fire! Sales are increasing at an amazing speed. It reached mass adoption last year and is well on it's way to replace DVD. In 3 years time we will have a BD market that will be very close to complete market share of all physical media sales.

Funny, it seems like it's always the people who have never bought films on physical media and file share etc, etc their movies instead who are against physical media and claim that DDL will take over next. I wanna know how having only DDL would be more benificial, cause I cannot see how. I do know it would give companies more control over us consumers and give us less choice over all. BOTH WILL EVENTUALLY CO-EXIST. Is this so hard to see?

WTF!?

I just checked the Blu-Rays sale percentage tracking thread and the latest numbers we had were these:

It is not even close to be head to head. DVD is here to stay for some years.

9:1 in favour of the DVD. Now some things to consider:

• This is revenue. A BD is more expansive than a DVD. So just going by sold discs will be even more dramatic.
  • This is US only I think. BluRay is even smaller in Europe since we don't have much HD content here anyway.
  • People said two or three years after the format war is finished, BluRay will take down DVD. That was 26 months ago and BluRay is still getting outsold by DVD.

Yeah...it's going to see how things play out this upcoming holiday season, since prices for the players are now much cheaper...I still think until you make disc much cheaper, people aren't going to budge off DVDs.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

HanzoTheRazor said:
@heedstone

It is worth mentioning that Blu-ray sold more in these relatively slow two first months of the year than digital downloads did in the whole of 2009 ($199 million, including both standard-definition and high-definition, according to Screen Digest). In spite of all the continuous hype from tech sites and web pundits about the impending digital domination and the disc's demise, the public seems to see much more value in a movie when it comes on a high-quality physical support with top-notch video, audio and extras than on a downloaded video file.

Home Media Magazine

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
@heedstone

It is worth mentioning that Blu-ray sold more in these relatively slow two first months of the year than digital downloads did in the whole of 2009 ($199 million, including both standard-definition and high-definition, according to Screen Digest). In spite of all the continuous hype from tech sites and web pundits about the impending digital domination and the disc's demise, the public seems to see much more value in a movie when it comes on a high-quality physical support with top-notch video, audio and extras than on a downloaded video file.

Home Media Magazine

I'm not sure what the link is for?  Digital Distro is nowhere near physical media...but this statement makes a joke out of itself, considering that brd is dwarfed by DVDs.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

I think they will.

Blu ray wil be getting more and more support. Slowly but steadily.

heruamon said:
joeorc said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
@heedstone

Home Media Magazine

I'm not sure what the link is for?  Digital Distro is nowhere near physical media...but this statement makes a joke out of itself, considering that brd is dwarfed by DVDs.

for one blu-ray player's can still play DVD's,of course DVD dwarf's Blu-Ray.

Digital Download's has quite a while if ever to replace physical Media, which most likely it will not replace physical media, it will be sold along side though and I think that's not going to change anytime soon.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

if they go digital distribution they will fail really hard , since there are countries that buy video games but the broadband internet is really really expensive so you will be forcing them to have an expensive connection to download a game that is what 20gb for the next xbox ?? being compressed like SHIT because with each generation jump space used almost always doubles at least , regarding the guy saying dvds are the way to go , ARE U SERIOUS??? one of the things holding back the xbox is the use of dvds which at the same time is what gives them NOW a price advantage over the ps3 but even now is almost obsolete imagine twice the amount of data is just imposible

heedstone said:
Squilliam said:
DirtyP2002 said:
heedstone said:

I doubt Microsoft will cave in to Sony on the whole Blu-ray issue.

Also, I don't think Sony will allow Microsoft to use blu-ray, and if they did, I'd expect sony would get a cut.

blu-ray will be superceded by the time the next gen comes around anyway.

the red part is where you fail.

I agree, especially as a Win Mobile 7 Sony phone will allow you to log into both Live and PSN, but probably not at the same time. Oh and it won't be of much benefit as Microsoft can gain the use of HD-DVD quite cheaply if they wanted to, Sony doesn't have the monopoly on high density disc formats and thats ignoring the fact that they control less than 1/3rd of Blu Ray so making dicks of themselves over discs wouldn't be in their best interest.

Sony don't HAVE to be dicks about it, but they can if they want to, they were founding members of the Blu-ray Disc Association and I'm sure they carry a lot of weight there (considering blu-ray wouldn't of succeded without Sony).  And i don't think Microsoft would grudge paying a fraction of every games profits to Sony (no matter how small). 

There are plenty other easier/better options open to Microsoft.  They don't HAVE to use blu-ray so I can't see them doing so.

Microsoft already pays Sony some royalties for HDMI.  I'm sure Sony pays MS some royalties as well.  It's an inbred industry.  It's up to MS on where the future will go but DVD is showing its age and limitations.  I'm not certain digital distribution is it either since I have a slow DSL a 10 GB game may take forever to download.

I read an article last month talking about Sony's push to Smart Phones, but the biggest hurtle was Windows Mobile (Microsoft). Although MS could block out Sony, the article seem to think that MS would welcome Sony and Sony's money. Im now kinda thinking that any application from Sony for Windows Mobile, will aslo deal with the BluRay problem at the same time. Sony doesn't own BluRay, but it is the leader in the BluRay association and does stand to make some money from MS if they go BluRay. Secondly, the BluRay application for a xbox720 will be reviewed from the BluRay Association, hence, Sony will know exactly when the 720 will be released. This is a huge problem for MS. It's not gonna happen, BUT if Sony wanted, and was ready, it could launch the ps4 tomorrow and MS wouldn't know a thing. Sony was caught like this last time and they fell a year behind and still haven't made back the 5Million consoles lead.

Solution would be a 64G ultra speed HD SD type card. Which could be expanded to 128G card if needed. The problem is that currently they are too expensive to put games on. But this will change...... memory becomes cheaper and cheaper every day, so wii have 2 years for it to fall in price.