By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo says 500k SMG sales in first week

Considering that he says "more than 500k" and that this is for USA only, I say congratulations to vgchartz, that's great accuracy!

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

More than 500K in the US, add in Canada, etc and you probably have a much higher sales than that, probably not 750K but pretty close i'd say 675K

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Whoops. Totally missed this topic and posted my own.

I phail

Galaki said:
I am from Canada and I bought 250k copies.
I am going to build a shrine with the game discs and pray to Mario every day.
/weird

Mario is doing extremely better in NA than Japan.

lol

and yes i agree smg is out of this world

Around the Network

I think Nintendo is undertracking the sales, why i think that? Toys are us are not taken into consideration in NPD and they sold a hell of a lot of copies having the Wii sales and the 25 dollars gift certificate.

If NPD does not track Wal-Mart and Toys R Us
And if Nintendo uses NPD numbers for its PR

Then Total Sales is probably higher than 500k

Plus 500k sounds great and is easier to remember ("half a million"!)

Thus, the lessons here is PR is all in how it sounds and trust VGC over NPD.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
If NPD does not track Wal-Mart and Toys R Us
And if Nintendo uses NPD numbers for its PR

Then Total Sales is probably higher than 500k

Plus 500k sounds great and is easier to remember ("half a million"!)

Thus, the lessons here is PR is all in how it sounds and trust VGC over NPD.

Mike from Morgantown

yep

I'd just say this:

Of anyone, Nintendo has the best idea of how much they have shipped, and what the demand is from their distributors. That or they have 0 sales analysis.

What's more likely?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Except they said sold not shipped, plus they didn't give an actual figure just a bottom (more than 500,000) and they also isolated the sales to the US, not the whole of NA

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)