By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Microsoft and Nintendo fans

2 of the best posts I have ever read.
kudos to montana and d21

Around the Network

I think Sony is light years behind Nintendo, in terms of quality of games and number of quality titles. Looking at this gen alone, it is a lot closer than lifetime, but Nintendo still wins.

As for Microsoft, I would give Sony an edge over them overall, but I liked Fable more than any Sony series, also.

aside from Blizzard no developer is at the same level of Nintendo at producing consistent quality games, Sony first party hasnt impressed me this gen, to me their best exclusives are from third parties, and aside from Team Ico none of their first party developers really have anything that interests me right now, as for MS, we all know their first party developers are lacking

They've always been good, but have really taken off. The shear volume of amazing games is ridiculously high. Nintendo's stuffs gone way down for me since last gen, MS stayed the same, and Sony went up and up.

I first became a fan of Sony's first party efforts around the time I got my ps3, when I looked back and realized that about half my ps2 collection was published by Sony.

Overall, Nintendo is my favorite publisher, and has been since the NES days, but Sony is a very close second. This generation in particular, I've gone back and forth between the two quite often, favoring Nintendo in 2006 and 2007 and early 2008, then favoring Sony from the latter half of 2008 up until now, when Sony was releasing numerous games I liked (including my two favorite games this generation - LittleBigPlanet and Demon's Souls), while Nintendo's release slate was surprisingly sparse. This year things are looking pretty neck and neck between the two, with the Legend of Zelda and the Last Guardian probably duking it out for my game of the year.

Sony acquiring Media Molecule also went a long way towards putting them equal on the level of Nintendo in my eyes. LittleBigPlanet is the most enjoyable game I've played in years, and I still play quite often even today.

No other publisher comes close to these two, in my eyes.

Around the Network

It depends on the development studio. Sony Santa Monica makes some of the best action games in the world, and Team ICO could go head-to-head with Nintendo's best and come away looking pretty decent, depending on the metric of quality you use.

They do pretty all right for themselves, all told.

rocketpig said:
Gilgamesh said:

How do you compare Sony's first party games with your favorite video game companies games?

Are they impressive?

Not bad?

Horrible?

Even in the same league as your favorite games?

I'm not a fan of any company but I'd say Sony's first party games are at least on par with Nintendo. Team ICO, Polyphony, etc. combined with publishing for Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc. are really impressive.

Microsoft? They're way down the list. Their first party offerings aren't even on par with a small studio like BioWare. On the other hand, Microsoft's strategy is not to compete with first party developers so it's a moot point.

They own Naughty Dog.  :P

Oh, Sony owns ND now? I didn't realize that. Good for them, they're a better game dev than even Insomniac, IMO.

Though I'm not crazy about Insomniac. I think some of their games lack that certain "something" found in Nintendo games. The characters are great, the gameplay is good, there's just... something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Khuutra said:
It depends on the development studio. Sony Santa Monica makes some of the best action games in the world, and Team ICO could go head-to-head with Nintendo's best and come away looking pretty decent, depending on the metric of quality you use.

They do pretty all right for themselves, all told.

Shit, I may argue that ICO is the best studio in the world, period. Even possibly better than BioWare's main studio because of their ability to make such intriguing games. On the other hand, they have the fact that they've only made two games going against them...

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

For rentals:

Sony > Microsoft > Nintendo.

For games I will keep:

Microsoft = Nintendo > Sony

I just find the types of games Sony releases are interesting to play once and experience but I find the idea of playing them more than once not to my taste.

Microsoft tends to produce games which have local coop, more solid gameplay even if less spectacular so I find they can be replayed more easily and Nintendo are the same. The value I find in the Nintendo/Microsoft games exceed that of Sony games even though I play my PS3 more than my Xbox 360 I still own more Xbox 360 titles.

I am a PC gamer first and foremost and I shouldn't forget that whilst I play many games on consoles like a buffet I tend to buy to own on the PC. My HD 5870 means I can be extremely critical of the graphics of a title and often I come into the Sony titles with a critical mindset due to the graphical hype they often recieve so I then tear them apart mentally and any good work they may have done passes over my head.

Tease.