By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Microsoft bleeding Sony on purpose?

Andir said:
Nobody knows for sure. Sony could be making a profit on every console now. There's is really only one company that can give you that information. Sony.

Well, they did say they hope to be profitable in terms of hardware, in the next fiscal year. That was in their latest financial report conference, where it would be pretty damning if they lied.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Andir said:
Nobody knows for sure. Sony could be making a profit on every console now. There's is really only one company that can give you that information. Sony.

Well, they did say they hope to be profitable in terms of hardware, in the next fiscal year. That was in their latest financial report conference, where it would be pretty damning if they lied.

Not only damning, but criminal.

FishyJoe said:
NJ5 said:
Andir said:

And why would you imply that your system is not making a profit if it actually was?

Yes, Microsoft is doing this on purpose.  Businesses certainly don't work by accident - not to say that happy accidents don't happen, but there was a clear strategy this Christmas: Sony had lost nearly all of it's big holiday games (GTA 4, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear) and Microsoft still had Halo 3, Mass Effect and more...so Microsoft didn't do a huge price cut, just enough to force Sony to follow, and it let the games do the rest. 

ssj12 said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
Sony is bleeding pretty badly, when this generation started, I was worried about Sony as a threat to the Wii. Now I see the 360 is the only real threat to the Wii despite its no market in Japan.

I think most Sony fans have wisened up and realized the 360 is their best bet this generaiton.

dear god your starting already..  360 is horrid.. all the consoles suck.. PC RULES ALL!!!

Starting what already? Stop trying to instigate situations and let people have their opinions.

Dodece said:

Here is an interesting thought. Microsoft can afford to charge more now bringing in more profits. Then thanks to those accumulated profits they can afford a much larger price cut in the future then Sony could afford to match. The result could be a two hundred dollar 360 next spring which would most definitely not be something Sony could come close to matching, and would most definitely put the final nail in the coffin. Further more that would force Nintendo to remain competitive. Honestly Nintendo doesn't seem to be in a position where they would need to cut prices regardless during the holiday season.

Especially if Microsoft manage to sort out the RROD and release this in a cheaper model, if they want to last for 5 year cycle they have to leave themsleves somewhere to go as the PS3 will last the test of time more than others.  Thats what I think they may do sometime in 08, let sony get rpice cuts out of their system then release a new chepaer version with no RROD.  

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

Masssive LOL at Microsoft bleeding out Sony XD, man thats some funny stuff :)

Didn't Sony announce some 700 million dollar profit amongsts all its divisions this year on TOP of R&D losses for Cell tech, Blu-ray, PS3, and Oled? Sony has too many roots to be "afraid" of Microsoft, if anything I'd say microsoft is heading twards the pickle, theif OS is losing market percentage, zune ... be honest, do you own one >_>? Seriously guys if Microsofts goal is to "Bleed out" sony's PS3? Then why bother trying to boot out a hardware company >_>;;; this is the road they pave, the ps3 just happens to be on the way. When microsoft wises up and stops putting out a shoddy product, I'll think about giving them more credit. But hell until then -_-

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

FishyJoe said:
According to Sony itself, they were hoping to break even some time in 2008 on hardware.

Microsoft gave 1st quarter of 2008 as the time that they hoped to break even, of course I also don't think that this most recent quarter will mean a whole lot as far as the current one being profitable b/c halo 3 is over and done with.  Either way you look at it, the 360 has been out for a couple of years already which suggests that the PS3 has a good chance of becoming profitable in less time.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

Here is my prediction:

MS is content as long as it out sells the ps3 in NA. As soon as that changes watch for a $50 price cut + massive adds. Europe is so close these days looks like it is a draw. Japan for MS.. Well I think they are just hoping to break 1.5mill over the 360s life time.

FishyJoe said:
NJ5 said:
Andir said:

It isn't really criminal to give a false impression of one's expectations for future profitability.  You must be confusing the falsification of past financial data with future expectations, because lying about what actually has happened is against the law.

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

Even if M$ is losing money on the consoles, I get the feeling they're making up for it in terms of software sales AND the XBox Live accounts + Live games and the like. Nintendo just happens to be making a profit on everything.

One of the big issues on this generation of the console wars is that wins aren't only based on hardware and software numbers alone. Right now, I can only think of 3 ways that a winner can be determined:

1) One console takes the lead on multiple fronts (Like the Wii overtakes the 360 sales in America, and catches up in terms of Software sold as well)
2) All 3rd party developers drop exclusive support for a console, or completely stop developing for a console at all (M$ seems to have the least to worry about in this. Nintendo has a bad history with 3rd party support, but Sony has already lost an exclusive or two, and there has been talk about losing other titles as well)
3) The company themselves announce that they are no longer going to support their own console due to lack of profits (no way this will happen for 360 and Wii, but I still don't see this happening even for the PS3)

I think M$ is scrabbling hard, since it's lost its lead to Wii, it needs to ensure that it's got a STRONG 2nd place, or it's going to get drawn into the same type of thing that happened last gen, where it was basically tied with Gamecube in a distant 2nd/3rd compared to PS2. If M$ allows Sony to catch up, then the PS brandname, and the fact that it managed to catch up even with the 360 launching a year earlier, people will likely see the PS3 as the stronger console.
It's not that M$ is trying to bleed Sony on purpose, but they're trying to establish themselves as being conclusively better, to ensure that they don't allow sony enough chance to catch up, and then surpass them.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her