By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War III, $33 Million Day 1 Sales

jake_the_fake1 said:
disolitude said:

lol...some crazy profit ideas in this thread. Especially Gearbox...damn dude, you think EB games works for free?

Accodring to the chart below which was published on many sites sony gets 34 dollars profit per game sold. So Sony gets 18.7 million dollars for god of war...first day.

I find the figure on retailer margin a bit too high, from what I've heard back when I was working at EB games, the margin on games is little, which is why EB games ( a.k.a Game stop in America), sell pre-owned as that's where the profit is, otherwise if the margin was so high for retailers then game only retailers would be able to exist with out the need to sell pre-owned games.

The last games only retailer here in Australia that never did pre-owened was games wizard and they went under and were bought out by game, which like most sell pre-owned.

I would personally take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I'd have to agree on the retailer margin.  Granted most of the data I've seen is from last gen, but at that point it was $5-8 on new $50 games.  Perhaps slightly more for huge retailers like wal-mart.  New games were pretty much a black hole for small businesses though.

Just realized it was OnLive that made that chart as well.  I'm sure they tried to stretch the numbers to promote their platform over retail.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

Who ever made this article knows nothing about how companies make money off games. Developers might get $20 to $30 from that $60 game.

where in the article says he's talking about profit? he's talking about sales in $$$$ .... it's like when a movie has an amazing weekend and they said "it made 200 million this weekend, etc etc" in that case they're just doing simple math based on average ticket price, they aren't saying the movie studio or whatever made that profit. Same thing here with this article.

It made much more then 33 million. 100 dollars each ultimate edition. I am betting 40m easy.

100 dollars of that is mine! WOOOOOO

Nice Job for GoW III. This is obviously one of Sony's largest games.

I bought it yesterday. Gameplay is classic GoW... The camera angles are much different now... And they make the battle scene much larger.

jake_the_fake1 said:
disolitude said:

lol...some crazy profit ideas in this thread. Especially Gearbox...damn dude, you think EB games works for free?

Accodring to the chart below which was published on many sites sony gets 34 dollars profit per game sold. So Sony gets 18.7 million dollars for god of war...first day.

I find the figure on retailer margin a bit too high, from what I've heard back when I was working at EB games, the margin on games is little, which is why EB games ( a.k.a Game stop in America), sell pre-owned as that's where the profit is, otherwise if the margin was so high for retailers then game only retailers would be able to exist with out the need to sell pre-owned games.

The last games only retailer here in Australia that never did pre-owened was games wizard and they went under and were bought out by game, which like most sell pre-owned.

I would personally take those numbers with a grain of salt.

The 7$ Returns also are an average. These should be pretty low on a game as succesful as this, but on the other hand a publisher might have much higher returns on a game that doesn't sell as well as anticipated.

Around the Network

Ok so can someone tell me how Activision made 1 billion from MW2 if they don't get all the money made? Unless the limited edition versson sold more than the normal which I doubt.