By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - I need a bit of help with processors.

My favourite review sites are anandtech.com and techreport.com

The former also has a good comparison chart at http://www.anandtech.com/bench

What are you doing with the PC (games + resolution, office tasks, encoding, playing media etc.) , and what is your budget? You may not need a CPU as fast as the 965 even.

Core i7 is faster, but also a lot more expensive than AMD. At the prices AMD sells chips, they tend to be the same or better value than Intel. Above $200, Intel is the only choice. So we need to know what you're doing with your PC in order to be able to recommend a CPU (and GPU).

Around the Network
Soleron said:
My favourite review sites are anandtech.com and techreport.com

The former also has a good comparison chart at http://www.anandtech.com/bench

What are you doing with the PC (games + resolution, office tasks, encoding, playing media etc.) , and what is your budget? You may not need a CPU as fast as the 965 even.

Core i7 is faster, but also a lot more expensive than AMD. At the prices AMD sells chips, they tend to be the same or better value than Intel. Above $200, Intel is the only choice. So we need to know what you're doing with your PC in order to be able to recommend a CPU (and GPU).

I do 3d animation, music recording/editing and I wanna play the best games out there well.

3d rendering is particularly a slow task on my old pc :p I do need at the very least the 965.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
Soleron said:

I do 3d animation, music recording/editing and I wanna play the best games out there well.

3d rendering is particularly a slow task on my old pc :p I do need at the very least the 965.

OK then. Get the i7 860 if you can afford it, otherwise either the 965 or i5 750 are equally good for their prices on the benchmarks I've looked up (Across gaming, rendering and encoding i5 750 has a slight edge and uses less power, but the 965 is cheaper).

Graphics card, RAM, etc. are all good choices for what you're doing.

Core i7's are better, but I heard that the six core types have more processing power

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"