By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So does anyone still think the PS3 will sell under 8M?

SlorgNet said:
8 million is a certainty, given seasonal buying patterns - there's always a huge Christmas bump. Also, I think the Blu-Ray speed-boost is finally kicking in, now that HDTVs are finally becoming affordable.

All of the electronics retailers I've visited in Champaign, IL and Austin, TX, both university towns and full of tech-savvy early adopters, now have shelves stuffed with BluRay discs. This season, I've noticed (1) lots of folks buying BluRay discs, (2) lots of folks asking for nonexistent Wiis, (3) lots of families buying HDTVs, and (3) $399 PS3s selling very well.

I don't think the weak US economy will derail game sales any. Usually, games do quite well in recessions, because the demand for escapist entertainment goes up.

You live in Champaign? 

Anyway, I think it was september when I said 6.5-7.5 mil. Obviously it'll hit 6.5, but I still think it will top out around 7.5, maybe 7.75 max. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

Im going with 7.8M PS3 sales by the end of the year, 16.4 360 sales and 19.8 Wii sales.

No more than 8 millions, and the best case scenario (Due to the Wii Supply constrain) is 8.5 millions...

But for me, no more than 8 millions...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

good chance in my mind and if you do the math. All comes down to europe and japan.....

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
johnlucas said:
leo-j said:
johnlucas said:
tombi123 said:

Does anyone still think the PS3 will sell under 8M by the end of the year?

its pretty much garenteed. 6 weeks, 2M sales. 333,333 a week world wide.

Frankly, I am starting to think my 8.5M is a bit too low now.

Thoughts...

Count on it.

I long said months and months ago that the PS3 would struggle to get above 7 million in the best case scenario.

They definitely won't hit 8 million by the end of the year.

John Lucas

I want to now why you hate the ps3. On topic: Im more than certain the ps3 will make it to 8 M by the end of the year.

I don't hate the PS3. I'm not a fan of high priced systems— neither XBox 360 nor PS3 nor Sega Saturn nor 3DO (no game system should cost that much. these are toys)—and I actually have more respect for the PS3 than the 360 because for all of that high price at least PS3 is of good craftsmanship this time to make it worth it. I could never spend $300 & $400 on something and have it break down for nothing like these fiberglass cars they make nowadays. That's pathetic in my opinion. Not human error and manufacturing fluke but a common design flaw. Inexcusable even if I was paying $100 for a system. So PS3 wins my approval on that front.

Sony's business vision for the system is just moth-eaten though. I'm also not a fan of companies without clear focus with their products. When you buy games for a system you are investing into that system long term. You end up spending thousands of dollars when it's all said and done you want to make sure this money does not go to waste. So you try to find a company with good sturdy quality product with good content from a company with coherence in philosophy and direction.

Sony is not showing this & they are paying for it. A lot of people are wary of plunking down the pocket change because they are not certain about what Sony's gonna do. Or what the other companies are going to do to Sony. Sony seems fickle with their business plans & I can't get behind fickleness. Have a solid coherent plan & if I like what you're offering I'll buy. That's one thing 360 has going for it. They know what they're aiming for and they are targeting it right through the bullseye.

But remember. I made predictions of systems sales early on back in March & April this year shortly after I joined the site. This is just reiterating my predictions (one of which may be proven false).

Wii - AT LEAST 20 Million (Guaranteed)

XBox 360 - 13 Million range (will not break the 14 Million barrier even if it gets close) *may be false now*

PS3 - Just over 7 Million (best case scenario)

I put 'em in the prediction league and everything.

Montana Hatchet says:

Ah, John Lucas, it's not like the PS3 is threatening the Wii, can't ya give it some love?

Of course. I feel Assassin's Creed will be a positive thing for the PS3 this holiday season.

John Lucas

I agree with you that the PS3 ISN'T going to make 8,000,000 by the end up the year. 1.67mil in 4 weeks isn't going to happen with the rate the PS3 is selling at.

But, I don't think the Wii will get to 20 mil either. I love my Wii, but i'm expecting 18mil at the most. 17-18 is the more likely thing.

The 360 will probably get to about 14.5 mil by the end of the year.  Maybe higher if it keeps last week's sales. Maybe lower if it doesn't.

Around the Network

So.. all what PS3 needs to match MY realistic sales, sell in 5 weeks:
300k more in Japan or 60k per week.
900k more in USA or just 180k per week.
700k more in Other or just 140k per week.
And that will be 8,25 mln. by the end of 2007.

With 35% increase weekly or:
80k in Japan - Boost from GT5:prologue +BRAND.
240k in USA - Boost from UT3 +BRAND.
190k in Other - Boost from Singstar and Uncharted +BRAND.
in next 5 Weeks - 9 mln. by the end of 2007 or just My optimistic sales. :)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

This site has always been like that. Saying "the PS3 is not selling well" or "its only selling well because of the holidays" is just that fanboy talk. Its like other console fans are afraid to admit that the PS3's has resolved its major issues, and now its down to flat out which console is better.

At this point in its life-cycle, the PS3 is about on par with the Xbox360 right? Why is there still the need to try and bash the PS3. Then you hear people say "where are the games." But no one really points out that the PS3's lineup slated for next year has more proven AAA titles than the Xbox has had in its entire lifespan.

I just never understand the downright Sony hate. Sure they were a little cocky towards the beginning of this console war, but they have single handedly carried gaming for the past few years, and gave third party devs a chance to shine that Nintendo never would have given them if they were still #1.

Really I dont know if its Blu-Ray or the pricing that has drawn so much Sony hate, but I prefer them much more than Microsoft. Microsoft will do with their consoles what they have been doing with windows. Looks a little better, but the bottom line is its the same thing just slightly beefed up. The Wii, though extremely fun, would halt the amazing progress that video games have had over the recent years and casual gaming would ruin gaming altogether. Sony is clearly the most ambitious this time around, and gamers have punished them for it. With the price down now, and regardless about what you people want to say about games the first party games have been very good from known developers. Its the ported games that have given the PS3 a bad rep, from developers who were not prepared to take on the task.

So Sony, IMO, has no reason left to be hated. $399 with good games in every genre really, which does well to satisfy any gamer buying the console unless your planning to spend over $300 on video games. And any honest gamer has to admit that Sony absolutely has the best game lineup next year. I have seen people say things like "oh but FF,MGS,and KZ2 are going to be pushed back to 2008." But isnt that just your hope? As of now they are all being released next year, and as of now the PS3 has the best exclusive list set up since...well...the PS2. I just wish fanboys would support their console not wish for the worst for Sony just to make them feel better about buying the alternative.

I don't think so but it we'll see....
funny what you get when you add what they sold over the weeks 333,333

Nah but it will come close

I predicted 7.5 mill by Dec 31 2007, but that was assuming there wouldn't be a PS3 SKU at $400. Now I believe 8.5 mill PS3's by year end.