By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So i ordered this PC... is it any good? :P

BenKenobi88 said:
gamingdevil said:
Actually i thought about all these "not too bad" and changed my mind and build my own PC so i canceled my order completely, so all i ask (again, and i'm really sorry if i tired you) is what you think of it. Haven't placed the order yet though. I changed the GFX card with this one VGA NV GB 8800GTX 768MB PCIEX VO DVI, and the 2 x 1Gb 667Mhz ram to 3 x 1GB 1200MHz Ram. Also i found out it approximately costs 1200 euros so i think it's a better deal (from another shop now).

So wait...you're buying from a shop still? Or are you building your own...I'm confused. You change your mind a lot.

I don't know what kind of online services there are in the UK, or Europe, wherever you are, but I almost always buy from Newegg.com...buy all separate parts, and then put them together myself...that's the cheapest route.

I know i change my mind a lot lol. I've finally builded the PC on my own, it's 1220 euros and it's the same as earlier just with 2 x 8800GT (as Neos adviced me to buy those 2 instead of the GTX) and i live in Greece, so i buy from (awful) Greek eshops.

Around the Network

2 8800 GTs??

Damn, kid...I wish I was rich...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Timmah! said:
takeru51 said:
I don't like the look of that Intel chip, but damned if you don't have a lot of ram and HDD space. (at least compared to me)

What?!? It's a core2 QUAD! That's basically 4, 2.4GHz processors in one. Do you not like screaming fast processors?

It's a shame they still only have a 900Mhz bus speed... Edit: sorry 1066 Mhz I'm using a AMD 64 X2 6000+ it's 3.0 dual core with 2000mhz bus speed.

BenKenobi88 said:
2 8800 GTs??

Damn, kid...I wish I was rich...

Rich? No, i'm not. I have this TERRIBLE computer which can't play most games, the best it can play is Tomb Raider Anniversary. So i needed an upgrade and my parents offered to buy me either a new PC or a 360.

New PC w/ 2x 8800gt or a 360?
Thats a no-brainer right there...

You will be extremely please with your new PC, now you need to accomidate the games with a nice monitor.

crappy old school NES games are more entertaining than next-gen games.

Around the Network

Well i already have a 26" HDTV which can work as a monitor but since it's kinda huge for a PC monitor i'll just use the 19" one.

linkthe2nd said:
gamingdevil said:
fazz said:
How much you paid for it? Depending on the cost, I'll tell you if it's good or not :P

The weak parts are the RAM: 667 Mhz, there are faster; and the videocards: try to get a 8800GT if you can afford it.

Yeah i guess i'll need some RAM, i already have 1 more GB but i don't know the speed, about the 8800GT though there's no way i can afford it as i also got a motorcycle =/

Keep in mind that you will need a 64 bit OS to use more than 4GB of ram.

FYP

To Each Man, Responsibility
gamingdevil said:
Actually i thought about all these "not too bad" and changed my mind and build my own PC so i canceled my order completely, so all i ask (again, and i'm really sorry if i tired you) is what you think of it. Haven't placed the order yet though. I changed the GFX card with this one VGA NV GB 8800GTX 768MB PCIEX VO DVI, and the 2 x 1Gb 667Mhz ram to 3 x 1GB 1200MHz Ram. Also i found out it approximately costs 1200 euros so i think it's a better deal (from another shop now).

8800GT gives 90%+ of the performance of that while being half the price. This is because 8800GT is a lineup refresh while 8800GTX is a year old.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

gamingdevil said:

Hey guys, i just ordered a new PC (gotta love X'mas) and i have no idea if it's any good, if it can play new games etc. All i know is that it's better than the one i own (since even Prince of Persia 3 has frame rate drops)

So here are the specs:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-N650SLI-DS4
CPU: Intel Code2Quad 2.4Ghz 8MB BOX
GPU: Nvidia GF8600GT 512MB x 2 connected via SLI
RAM: DDR2 2048MB 667MHz
HDD: 500GB SATA II

I SO hope i din't bought garbage again, so... thoughts? Is it good? Is it bad? :P

Not bad. But a single 8800GT or 8800GTS640 will outperform 2x8600GT.

Would have been a lot cheaper for you to build it on your own, though. 1,300 Euros for that is ridiculous. I can build a better PC for around $800-900 

Sqrl said:
linkthe2nd said:

Keep in mind that you will need a 64 bit OS to use more than 4GB of ram.

FYP

You really need a 64-bit OS to use 4 GB of RAM, not just over 4 GB, because some of the 4 GB address space is mapped to other memory, like video memory.