By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178268

StrategyAnalytics predicts lifetime PS3 sales to be around 127 million, compared to Wii's 103 million.

By Kris Pigna, 03/09/2010

For the longest time, since before their console was even released, Sony was quick to point out this generation of "console wars" would be a marathon -- with the PlayStation 3 the slow-and-steady tortoise that would eventually outlast their seemingly speedier competition. Now, it looks like they're starting to convince some industry experts that may be the case: MCV reports that StrategyAnalytics analyst David Mercer predicts the PS3 will outsell the Wii by 2013.

Mercer spelled out his reasoning in a blog post ahead of the release of the company's Global Video Game Market Forecast next week. "The signs are that the Wii has peaked in terms of console sales, and its installed base will begin to decline after 2011," Mercer wrote. "Meanwhile, Sony's PS3 and Microsoft's Xbox 360 will continue to grow, so that the PS3 will become the largest platform globally by 2013. In terms of cumulative lifetime sales we expect the PS3 to hit 127m units, compared to 103m Wiis."

Naturally, like any good analyst, Mercer also left himself room for error: "Uncertainties clearly surround each of the major platforms, particularly relating to the new services and upgrades planned by Sony and Microsoft. Natal on the Xbox could be more beneficial to 360 sales than expected, and Sony's own motion controller, together with its plans to upgrade all PS3s to 3D capability, also represent potential for upside to our core forecasts."

So -- hard, infallible economic science, or the deranged ramblings of a madman? (Or something a little more reasoned in between?) We'll only have to wait three years to find out, folks!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178268

I screwed up the title. D:

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

Around the Network

Does MikeB perhaps work for StrategyAnalytics? Rofl.

I think your title is awesome.
OT: I expect the PS3 to be on top at the end of this gen aswel.

4 ≈ One