By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: Move is not meant to replace current controllers

SCEA bossman Jack Tretton has said that Move is not meant to replace current controllers, only to provide the consumer with options.

Speaking to G4 during GDC, Tretton also said that while Nintendo may have ushered in the era of motion controls, Sony was right there with it with EyeToy.

“We have a 15-year heritage in this business which in some industries that is a short time, but in the game industry, it is a lifetime,” Tretton told G4’s Adam Sessler.

“PlayStation has come to stand for accuracy, cutting edge technology, and we certainly give Nintendo all the credit in the world for what they have accomplished with motion gaming, but we really feel we ushered that in with the original EyeToy.

“So what we feel we have progressed to is the next generation of motion gaming experience where using the controller and the camera, we’re able to get the most immersive, most realistic, motion gaming experience gamers have ever seen.

“The key though for the consumer is choice. We don’t want to force motion gaming down their throat, so for the shooter fan, it’s gonna be ‘well, I like motion gaming but I prefer my DualShock’, so that’s going to be be there for them. The thing about this motion gaming is that it’s an add-on, and enhancement, and an extension of what already exists, not a replacement.

“We have 36 developers on board for this, the who’s-who of the development community and just from our worldwide studios alone, you’re going to see twenty games this fiscal year and it’s going to span the casual and hardcore”.

As far as availability is concerned, Sony doesn’t foresee a shortage at retail for the new controller, like PS3 is currently experiencing, because the controller has been in the makings for a long enough time.

“There’s going to be a large number of controllers available [at launch] but we don’t anticipate a shortage,” said Tretton. “We’ve been working on this for several years, and we also wanted to be able to come up with something that is affordable.

“So we will have a SKU available that has the controllers, has the Eye, and a game build in for under $100 – but we’ll sell the individual components separately too and then we will sell and uber-bundle for the PS3 consumer wanna-be that doesn’t own one yet with everything under one roof for one price”.

The controller is expected sometime in the fall – or at least before the holidays.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/16/tretton-move-is-not-meant-to-replace-current-controllers/

Around the Network

Nice of Jack Tretton to complement Nintendo and I am glad to hear the Move will be optional.

I'ma buy the Bundle for under $100! Hopefully when the Move comes out, there will be some good launch titles for it.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

of course, i don't think they would like to lose the current controller.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Lastgengamer said:

SCEA bossman Jack Tretton has said that Move is not meant to replace current controllers, only to provide the consumer with options.

I take it that means they have the option to ignore the controller and an admission that they won't be bundling it with their mainline SKU. Which also means it probably won't be nearly as heavily supported as you're implying Jack as it simply won't have the install base.

Speaking to G4 during GDC, Tretton also said that while Nintendo may have ushered in the era of motion controls, Sony was right there with it with EyeToy.

“We have a 15-year heritage in this business which in some industries that is a short time, but in the game industry, it is a lifetime,” Tretton told G4’s Adam Sessler.

“PlayStation has come to stand for accuracy, cutting edge technology, and we certainly give Nintendo all the credit in the world for what they have accomplished with motion gaming, but we really feel we ushered that in with the original EyeToy.

Come to stand for cutting edge technology huh? How come the PS2 was the 2nd weakest last generation console then? Also its pretty damn late to give Nintendo credit after talking so much smack. Go away Tretton, suck someone elses nipple please.

“So what we feel we have progressed to is the next generation of motion gaming experience where using the controller and the camera, we’re able to get the most immersive, most realistic, motion gaming experience gamers have ever seen.

You haven't shown off gaming experiences which are better than current generation Wiimote technology from 3 years ago... Jack. You have to do better before you can claim 'next generation' status.

“The key though for the consumer is choice. We don’t want to force motion gaming down their throat, so for the shooter fan, it’s gonna be ‘well, I like motion gaming but I prefer my DualShock’, so that’s going to be be there for them. The thing about this motion gaming is that it’s an add-on, and enhancement, and an extension of what already exists, not a replacement.

I take this as an admission that you're not going to be putting your tier 1 developers into supporting Move with games built from the ground up for the technology. Thanks for the heads up.

“We have 36 developers on board for this, the who’s-who of the development community and just from our worldwide studios alone, you’re going to see twenty games this fiscal year and it’s going to span the casual and hardcore”.

20 games isn't much when your motion controller costs about half as much as an entire Wii.

As far as availability is concerned, Sony doesn’t foresee a shortage at retail for the new controller, like PS3 is currently experiencing, because the controller has been in the makings for a long enough time.

“There’s going to be a large number of controllers available [at launch] but we don’t anticipate a shortage,” said Tretton. “We’ve been working on this for several years, and we also wanted to be able to come up with something that is affordable.

“So we will have a SKU available that has the controllers, has the Eye, and a game build in for under $100 – but we’ll sell the individual components separately too and then we will sell and uber-bundle for the PS3 consumer wanna-be that doesn’t own one yet with everything under one roof for one price”.

The controller is expected sometime in the fall – or at least before the holidays.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/16/tretton-move-is-not-meant-to-replace-current-controllers/

Around the Network
WilliamWatts said:
Lastgengamer said:

I take it that means they have the option to ignore the controller and an admission that they won't be bundling it with their mainline SKU. Which also means it probably won't be nearly as heavily supported as you're implying Jack as it simply won't have the install base.

Come to stand for cutting edge technology huh? How come the PS2 was the 2nd weakest last generation console then? Also its pretty damn late to give Nintendo credit after talking so much smack. Go away Tretton, suck someone elses nipple please.

You haven't shown off gaming experiences which are better than current generation Wiimote technology from 3 years ago... Jack. You have to do better before you can claim 'next generation' status.

I take this as an admission that you're not going to be putting your tier 1 developers into supporting Move with games built from the ground up for the technology. Thanks for the heads up.

20 games isn't much when your motion controller costs about half as much as an entire Wii.

Wii's cost 40 bucks? when did this happen?

WilliamWatts said:
Lastgengamer said:

What the hell man? Did he run over your dog?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Feylic said:
WilliamWatts said:
Lastgengamer said:

Nope... it costs $199, which  the motion controller costs about half as much ($100) as it. 20 games are great, especially when it will be coming out at the end of the year, I don't see a problem with that. BTW Wii mote (w/ Wii Motion Plus) and a Nunchuck is about $75... The bundle is $100 including a game and the camera, it's not that bad. Tier 1 developers... does that not include the developers who made LBP?

WilliamWatts said:
Lastgengamer said:

lol dude Relax. Did Jack do something personal to you or something?

And the tech on Move is way way better than Wii. It's just the way it is. I won't get into the software too much as it's better to wait until E3 or so to compare the line up, but even small games like table tennis, is more motion sensitive than what the Wii can offer (top spin etc even). I just want a solid Tennis game and I'm sold.

And i feel your interpreting the guy in a weird way here. The Move comes in fall yes? As of now there are 20 or so games ready to be released for those few months alone? I would say that's darn good. And what the guy says is good no? He says for the current ps3 owners like me, what we bought the PS3 for, those reasons will be met by SOny making the Move optional. THAT is a good thing. No matter what there are games that I rather not use Move for or forced to use it for.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

GerOhMyGosh said:
Feylic said:
WilliamWatts said:
Lastgengamer said:

Nope... it costs $199, which  the motion controller costs about half as much ($100) as it. 20 games are great, especially when it will be coming out at the end of the year, I don't see a problem with that. BTW Wii mote (w/ Wii Motion Plus) and a Nunchuck is about $75... The bundle is $100 including a game and the camera, it's not that bad. Tier 1 developers... does that not include the developers who made LBP?

Motion controller BUNDLE will be under 100, and that is a game (60) and a pseye (20 maybe?) so the PS move would actually only be 20.