By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii on HDTV, better with Component or Standard AV?

I have my Wii hooked up to a samsung 32" HDTV with component cables.  I have been very happy with it so far.  I was reading however that some people were saying the standard cables look better because there is no anti aliasing with component and it actually makes the edges look more jaggy.  What are the thoughts here.  I have not gone back to the standard to see if I notice the difference but I am thinking about it this weekend.  I will probably hook up both and switch back and forth to see if I can tell.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

Around the Network

Have you tried reducing the sharpness setting on the TV? I heard it helps.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I have not tried that.  I have the TV set in Game mode which I wonder if that does not make it more pronounced.  I will try the sharpness setting to see if that changes things.

My Tag: 2 Timothy 3:1

Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven! (John14:6)

Every second 2 people die . . . What if this is your second? 

www.goodpersontest.com

component cables + HD TV + mass sharpness = BEST
if ur happy with it why do u wanna change it ?
u can try doing other things but these are my thoughts :P

I started the same thread previously... I have a 42" 1080P Sharp Aquos LCD and the wii on composite was blurry and dull... It did, however, keep the jaggies from being as obvious. I bought some component cables and plugged em in... The colors are much more vibrant and everything just looks richer throughout. The only issue is now that it is so sharp and edges don't "bleed", the jaggies are quite a bit more obvious. I just learned to live with the increase in jaggies because that increase isn't nearly as bad as the difference between the overall quality of the image and the crap composite cable image... The improvement was worth accentuating the jaggies for me. It shouldn't be as bad for you because your set is smaller... Go 4 it.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

It's not that composite cables have built-in anti-aliasing or something, it's just that components cables make the picture so much crisper, the details (the good and the bad) become visible. To me though, component>>>composite.