By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the JRPG/FF run over?

DragonLord said:
Huya said:
Have you played Kotor1 and Jade Empire then?

I've played Jade Empire.  It was alright.  I don't HATE WRPGs, they're just second rate to me.  I'll still take a WRPG over a shooter anytime, any day.  But I just grew up playing JRPGs--they're what made me a gamer.  A lot of the younger generations didn't have that opportunity so they've fallen in love with action and button mashing rather than a tear-evoking, cut-scene filled story.

yea since SNES really had a lot of tear evoking cutscenes right?

Around the Network
Huya said:

KotoR doesn't have a good story, it has a very well executed twist (that doesn't compare to the twists in games like Xenogears, Chrono Cross) but that's about it, you have a main character that you don't care about, a bad guy who's bad because he likes being bad, the characters in your group are boring B3YOND, and most of the game you're running around in four planets who are nothing but filler.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Xenogears >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other RPG

/thread

g-value said:

/thread

but...but... I thought XenoBlade >> Every other RPG?

DragonLord said:
Huya said:

I've played Jade Empire.  It was alright.  I don't HATE WRPGs, they're just second rate to me.  I'll still take a WRPG over a shooter anytime, any day.  But I just grew up playing JRPGs--they're what made me a gamer.  A lot of the younger generations didn't have that opportunity so they've fallen in love with action and button mashing rather than a tear-evoking, cut-scene filled story.

i agree 100%  Most of these people rushing to FFXIII's defense know nothing about about the older jrpg's we played growing up.  Button smasher aka..gamers 20 and younger play on a 360, most older have both play PS3 90% of the time due to the quality of the jrpgs.  eg.. Star Ocean International is so awesome on the ps3 but crap on the 360

Around the Network
Huya said:
DragonLord said:
Huya said:

You don't have to be a smart butt.  I didn't say anything about SNES having cutscenes.  Heck, I realize that--I'm 30 and have been gaming my whole life.  I had an Atari and Sega Genesis, etc  It was just a casual thing with buddies before I got ahold of FF.  That was when I officially quit playing on the PC. The ps2 is over 10 years old now.  That makes your current 13 year old teenager that loves his shooters and gore filled action games a little too young to remember a lot of the games that I played when I was in high school.

Eitherway, it doesn't matter.  I enjoy the WRPG to a degree--but I'll always prefer JRPGs.  Different strokes for different folks.  Good for those that like WRPGs better--it doesn't matter to me--just putting my own opinion out there.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Fab_GS said:
g-value said:

/thread

but...but... I thought XenoBlade >> Every other RPG?

No, Xenoblade >>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other RPG this gen

rpg70 said:
DragonLord said:
Huya said:

i agree 100%  Most of these people rushing to FFXIII's defense know nothing about about the older jrpg's we played growing up.  Button smasher aka..gamers 20 and younger play on a 360, most older have both play PS3 90% of the time due to the quality of the jrpgs.  eg.. Star Ocean International is so awesome on the ps3 but crap on the 360

I'm an old school jrpg gamer as well. So what are you talking about?

rpg70 said:
DragonLord said:
Huya said:

Actually, have you stopped to consider that many people defending FFXIII have actually been long time RPG fans as well? 

You're making so much leaps in judgment, it's not actually funny. Oh and about the quality of JRPG's on PS3 or 360, Lost Odyssey would like to give you a word.  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

DragonLord said:
Huya said:
DragonLord said:
Huya said:

You don't have to be a smart butt.  I didn't say anything about SNES having cutscenes.  Heck, I realize that--I'm 30 and have been gaming my whole life.  I had an Atari and Sega Genesis, etc  It was just a casual thing with buddies before I got ahold of FF.  That was when I officially quit playing on the PC. The ps2 is over 10 years old now.  That makes your current 13 year old teenager that loves his shooters and gore filled action games a little too young to remember a lot of the games that I played when I was in high school.

Eitherway, it doesn't matter.  I enjoy the WRPG to a degree--but I'll always prefer JRPGs.  Different strokes for different folks.  Good for those that like WRPGs better--it doesn't matter to me--just putting my own opinion out there.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and tastes not everyone will like every genre(I hate horror games!). Just like Ragebot hating Kotor is fine. However not every game is about story some are also about the funfactor! Since if that was the case the Wii would be doomed~~. And shooters are actually quite fun too:)