By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - (Rumor from GDC) DS specs- Bigger screens and Gamecube-like structure

Demotruk said:
leo-j said:
the GBA was more powerful than the SNES though

Not by much.

Yes, by much. Although the resolution was lower, and the backlight prevented full effects, the system had a lot more RAM and processing power. It actually had better specs than the Neo-Geo. Some games that show this are the Castlevania games. The armors in Harmony and Aria could not have been pulled off on the SNES. Plus systems even had a small amount of polygon pushing without the need for a SuperFX chip.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Demotruk said:
leo-j said:
the GBA was more powerful than the SNES though

Not by much.

Yes, by much. Although the resolution was lower, and the backlight prevented full effects, the system had a lot more RAM and processing power. It actually had better specs than the Neo-Geo. Some games that show this are the Castlevania games. The armors in Harmony and Aria could not have been pulled off on the SNES. Plus systems even had a small amount of polygon pushing without the need for a SuperFX chip.

Yeah, sure it is - just like the DS is stronger than the N64. But what matters is what architecture it is based on, and that has always been VERY obvios when you looked at the ports. GBA was flooded with straight SNES ports, and a lot of N64 titles resurfaced as DS games - probably because the tech is very, very similar. 

Btw, I sold my GBA when I realized that Nintendo was unwilling to make any new games in their key franchises. Nintendo was pretty cheap back then... recycling Mario, outsourcing Zelda. 

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

How do I delete posts?

I'll just leave this here

Nights said:
Nintendo DS:

Main CPU: ARM 9, 67 MHz
Secondary CPU: ARM 7, 33 MHz

Memory: 4 MB main RAM, 656 kB VRAM

Sound: ARM 7, 33 MHz 
16 simultaneous channels
stereo sound

Graphical prestations/effects:
ARM 9 
dual 256x192 screen resolution
solid 60fps
120,000 polygons per second with all hardware effects @ 60 fps (expect game benchmarks to be a little less.)
262,144 colors
4 million vertices/second
30 million pixels/second fillrate
Cel-shading
Hardware fog
no bilinear filtering This really sucks...

N64

Nintendo 64:

Main CPU: R4000, 93.75 MHz
Secondary CPU: , 62.5 MHz

RAM: 36 Mb (4.5MB) main RAM, 8.5MB with expansion pak

Sound: , 62.5 MHz
16-24 channels OR
max. 100 simultaneous channels, though take 1% of the CPU each (developer's choice)
Dolby Pro Logic (1, not 2) Surround sound

Graphical prestations/effects:

256x224 or 640x480 screen resolution
lots of graphical sacrifice needed for a solid 60fps (like F-Zero X)
32,000 colors on-screen
150,000 polygons with all effects @ 60 fps (Nintendo says)
100,000 " " " " " " (benchmark says)
unknown vertices and fillrate
hardware fog, bi- and trilinear filtering

PS: Because the screen on the DS is small the DS can get away with more. Basically the small screen lets it do less and it appears as more.

alfredofroylan said:

Seems like this could be the surprise for the E3.

Additionally, an accelerometer is said to be incorporated into the handheld. If you’ve toyed around with pretty much any smart phone, you’re familiar with the screen tilting action. We imagine this will lead to many balance beam and pinball minigames.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds-successor-already-being-developed-for.aspx

What was that about Reggie saying Ninty would be embarassed if they copied someone else's innovations?

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7419&mp=1

I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate, I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing."

"So, all I can tell you is that we will innovate. We will provide something new. Something that the consumer and the industry will look at and say 'Wow, I didn't see that coming.'"

SNAP! or the accelerometer is not really happening.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Kirby Tilt N' Tumble was using accelerometers a year before the iPod brand was even created.

binary solo said:

What was that about Reggie saying Ninty would be embarassed if they copied someone else's innovations?

They already use the aceletometer in the Wiimote and a Kirby game.

binary solo said:
alfredofroylan said:

Additionally, an accelerometer is said to be incorporated into the handheld. If you’ve toyed around with pretty much any smart phone, you’re familiar with the screen tilting action. We imagine this will lead to many balance beam and pinball minigames.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds-successor-already-being-developed-for.aspx

I think a hallmark of Nintendo is that we are constantly trying to innovate, I think we would have been embarrassed to do what our competitors are currently doing."

"So, all I can tell you is that we will innovate. We will provide something new. Something that the consumer and the industry will look at and say 'Wow, I didn't see that coming.'"

There is a difference when you consider he was addressing the Sony peripheral. This is just natural hardware progression. If they did throw in tilt, it wouldn't just be for the hell of it. I could say that tilt was really made in pinball machines decades ago....doesn't mean the iphone/smartphone is lame.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

binary solo said:
alfredofroylan said:

Um, Kirby tilt and tumble?