By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Random blog PS3 motion controller fails to Move

Sony has every right to feel sore that Nintendo and Microsoft have stolen the limelight from it in adding motion-sensing to games.

Sony had the  EyeToy  camera for sensing motion and putting players inside games on the PlayStation 2, long before Microsoft’s forthcoming  Project Natal . Its six-axis controller has always had more motion capabilities than the three-axis Wii Remote.

But Sony has failed to market its motion technology to maximum effect and its launch of its Move motion controller for the PlayStation 3 on Wednesday represents it arriving late to the current-generation game and with little new to offer.

Move is a wand-like controller with a funky coloured bulb on the end. A sub-controller will be available as well in a combination similar to the Wiimote and its  Nunchuk. 

Move also combines with  the Eye , the successor to the EyeToy, in gameplay. Sony said a starter bundle featuring a game, the Eye and Move would cost less than $100 when it is launched in the autumn.

That was the best news of the night at the launch event on the fringes of the  Game Developers Conference  in San Francisco.

We were then given demonstrations of how Move could be used in different games, most of them still at the pre-Alpha build stage - perhaps explainingwhy Sony has had to delay its launch by six months.

The demonstrations were unimpressive. It was hard to see how this was much of an advance on the motion-sensing gameplay currently offered by Nintendo.

Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony’s worldwide studios, said “nothing has ever been this precise, responsive and ultra-sensory” so perhaps we ought to give Move the benefit of the doubt until it is launched with fully developed titles.

Peter Dille, head of marketing in the US, provided clues on Sony’s strategy. He said families buying HD televisions would find a move to Move and the PS3 a natural migration from the Wii. Hard-core gamers, who had turned their noses up at the Wii, would also be attracted to the precision and high-definition of Move on the PS3, he added.

If Move is a better class of motion controller on a higher quality platform and available at a reasonable price, Sony may find it has a hit on its hands if games can be made compelling with Move integration.

A motion controller was something Sony had to introduce to stay competitive with Nintendo and Microsoft. With 3D gaming also coming exclusively to the PS3 later this year, it is significantly boosting its armoury in the console wars.

http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/2010/03/ps3-motion-controller-is-not-that-moving/

It's makes for a interesting read just thought I'd share. 

Around the Network

mmmmmm im still not sure what to make of it. If they release it with the right games and price then im sure alot of people who already own a ps3 will buy this as for new customers i cant see it selling alot of hardware because someone else has been there and done that. Do sony fans really want this? the wii has been classed as a casual console because of the remote waggling fun. I wish sony all the best with it but it is much easier making motion games when the console is new and only just released with the motion controller included, to release it halfway through a consoles life might split the market in half.

Its six-axis controller has always had more motion capabilities than the three-axis Wii Remote

haha "Failed to move" made me imagine him struggling to lift it.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Maynard_Tool said:

Its six-axis controller has always had more motion capabilities than the three-axis Wii Remote

Always I see those joker pics I think of the wonderful joker movies in the future he could have made. Its such a shame we cant see him anymore. Infact I doubt we will ever get a joker like him again.
OT: Those press guys make articles like that, knowing that this wont be the result we will get. To get clicks bad news can be sold way better then good news thats why news are full of bad news. I just wait and see, knowing it will definetly be better then the people say.