By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best casual controller, Wiimote or Natal?

Best casual controller, Wiimote or Natal?

Wiimote 55 61.11%

Natal 30 33.33%

Equal 5 5.56%

Total:90

Since both seem to be targeting a similar audience I thought it would be good to compare them, I still wonder which is the better casual/non gamer controller and just thinking about them nothing appears definitive at first.

Points of similarity:

Both Natal and the Wii require setting up, they both require plugging something in and sticking either a sensor bar or a camera onto a home entertainment centre. Is Natal a little easier to place the camera probably because of the stand but thats offset somewhat by the need for a wider frame of view for the camera.

Points of difference:

Natal is probably a little easier to use for the ultra casual user simply because the user doesn't have to get used to the idea of using a controller, however for game concepts which move onto requiring a controller the Wiimote will be better because its a consistant experience for graduating a user onto more complicated experiences whereas the Xbox 360s stock controller is probably quite intimidating for this audience.

For basic motion control gameplay the Wiimotes only negative is the number of attachments required, between Wii M+, Nunchuck etc its a little bit more complicated to setup and theres a little more equipment to keep track of and figure out. For someone who has never used a similar interface both are probably equally alien, however Nintendos basic Sports and Sports resort titles do an excellent job of training the user to use them. It remains to be seen how effective Microsofts product is at training the user relative to Nintendos trainers.

Natal Advantages:

• Quick pick up and play. You're the controller so you're always within arms reach of yourself.
  • Reliability; there are no batteries to run out and no problems syncing the controller.
  • Offers experiences outside of gaming for media playback, chatting, and experiences which cannot be offered by the Wiimote.
  • Doesn't require too many accessories.
  • Useful as a computer controller as well.

Wiimote Advantages:

• Nintendo's games!!
  • Many people have used and are familiar with the control scheme even if they don't own it themselves.
  • Proved effective and gives the users the experience they want.
  • More versatile on its own.
  • Already has a game library.

Verdict? Up to you!

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

personal opinion is natal, I am interested in both techs but augmented reality more so.

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

What about PS Move? it deserves a poll option, it already has more developers than Natal, it has 20 first party and 36 third party developers.

TheNoobHolocaust said:

What about PS Move? it deserves a poll option, it already has more developers than Natal, it has 20 first party and 36 third party developers.

i prefere ps moveye as it gets best of both worlds

correct me if I am wrong
stop me if I am bias
I love a good civilised debate (but only if we can learn something).

TheNoobHolocaust said:

Not casual friendly, the Wiimote/Natal already beats it so this is a question about 1st/2nd place for casuals.

Around the Network
Twistedpixel said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Not casual friendly, the Wiimote/Natal already beats it so this is a question about 1st/2nd place for casuals.

Wow, how can you count it out already? Its not even out yet, not to mention I think it looks more promising than both Natal and Wiimote, because it combines the use of the camera (like Natal) and the remote tracking (like the Wiimote) which gives it 1 to 1 precision.

TheNoobHolocaust said:
Twistedpixel said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Wow, how can you count it out already? Its not even out yet, not to mention I think it looks more promising than both Natal and Wiimote, because it combines the use of the camera (like Natal) and the remote tracking (like the Wiimote) which gives it 1 to 1 precision.

Its complicated with up to 3 physical accessories each needing to be charged of a single remaining USB port, doesn't have Nintendo games and its more expensive than either systems, especially after the controller price is considered so its definately not casual friendly.

Probably PS MOVE.

Twistedpixel said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:
Twistedpixel said:
TheNoobHolocaust said:

Its complicated with up to 3 physical accessories each needing to be charged of a single remaining USB port, doesn't have Nintendo games and its more expensive than either systems, especially after the controller price is considered so its definately not casual friendly.

The only one that doesn't have 3 accessories is Natal, Wii has the Reciever, The Wiimote, and the Nunchuk.

The Ps3 has the PSEye, the Move, and the subcontroller

Not to mention I would rather have rechargable controllers over haveing to buy AA batteries everytime I run out, They haven't even announced the price yet(they said the starter will be UNDER $100, never said near $100. Let me clarify what Sony has to match Nintendo games

Mario = Little Big Planet

Zelda = The Last Guardian(Team ICO game)

Wii Sports = Sports Champions

and many more that are unannounced, you simply can't jump to conclusions without knowing any of the details.

Well I definitely see non-gamers being intrigued by the Natal. So I'm gonna say Natal.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)