By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
jstam said:
Ovelia said:

Sony had a huge presence in HK because of Sony's long-established brand name. Being a portable multimedia device, PSP is THE fad there. (also in mainland China, which is why HUGE amount of PSPs - possibly 3-5 million - are illegally imported there.)

Um where did you pull those figures from? Just coming back from china I'll tell you i didn't see anyone playing any portable gaming device, whenever i whipped out the ds I'd get strange looks

I don't know which city you had been to, but I've been to many big cities including Shanghai (where I'm currently at), Guangzhou, Shenzhen, etc., and there're always people using (well, not playing games at all times) PSPs in the metros, on the street, etc.

I have an article estimating the total sales figures of PSPs in China. It may not be very accurate, but the estimation is quite convincing.

It may be because what you put out is an NDS/NDSL cos many people just take it as another PDA and consider it not cool (although I have one cos they got more great games on the NDSL :p)

Around the Network
shams said:
jstam said:
Ovelia said:

Sony had a huge presence in HK because of Sony's long-established brand name. Being a portable multimedia device, PSP is THE fad there. (also in mainland China, which is why HUGE amount of PSPs - possibly 3-5 million - are illegally imported there.)

Um where did you pull those figures from? Just coming back from china I'll tell you i didn't see anyone playing any portable gaming device, whenever i whipped out the ds I'd get strange looks

I also visited Singapore & China on my trip, and saw a few DS's, but mainly GBA's. HK was the obvious territory for PSP's (makes sense, as stated above).

This is also what I was talking about - shipped units vrs sold units. We don't count shipped units - so they are shipped to HK, then sold - we should aim to collect some sales figures from the region.

I can see at least 3 PSPs every day during my commute in the Shanghai Metro. In the last 12 months many people had bought PSPs, and the number is still increasing.