By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Price is the biggest barrier fo the Move

brythoma said:

Im almost certain ive read that Natal would be able to support 4 players on one camera.  I just did a quick google search and I found this from last E3:

"I thought the system, as impressive as it was in letting me play kickball with virtual balls on a TV and no controllers on my body, might not be able to handle multi-player gaming.

Wrong, the project's director, Kudo Tsunoda told me. He had me look at a special display set up as part of the ball-ricocheting demo. What I saw proved how clearly Natal was easily reading both my body and his as we both stood in front of the sensors. We appeared on screen as simplified, mutli-jointed stick figure skeletons within silhouettes of our bodies. It clearly saw us as separate people. There would be no problem, he said, for the system to support a game that let us play at the same time and track our movements separately."

http://kotaku.com/5279531/microsoft-project-natal-can-support-multiple-players-see-fingers

That's only 2 people. That is nothing compared to 4.

Around the Network
Grimes said:
The problem for both natal and move for four people would be keeping all the people and extremities within view of the camera I'd imagine.

And playing in rooms big enough for 4 people to be up and active.

I'm not trying to brag, but I think I'm doing ok for myself money wise, and have a decent sized house, but there isn't a room in my house that could have 4 people up moving about close to the tv.  I can't imagine I'm alone in that.

I'm sure they could work in the same way Wii sports bowling works, though - with people taking turns...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Grimes said:
huaxiong90 said:
What's the basic kit, Grimes?

Software, move controller and PS Eye.

Oh, I see.

Well, I think if the entry price can at least be below $100 at launch, Sony should be fine for a little while (granted they have decent software and a good advertising campaign). But they need to figure out a way of decreasing costs ASAP afterwards, or, as you said, they'll be facing obstacles for this device.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I personally do not believe that $100 price tag is too much, hey they even said that it will be less than that (please do not pull off the $99.99 stuff), I have a 60GB phat launch model, I dished out the full price for this console. I tried a Wii, I played a few games, but it simply did not cut if for me, now though..looking at all the GDC stuff I cannot wait to get my hands on Move, all the things I want in one console.

They also stated that "they will have a diverse array of  bundles". It is too early to make predictions now, Sony might blow us out of the water with a 120GB Slim bundled with Playstation Move, the Playstation Eye and a game for $350, which I find resonable. Anyhow, this is just going to add to the experience, maybe not take market share away from Nintendo, but I doubt that this will be a failure. Lets see.

<a href="http://b0c40pmhv4t-qfuimlmmqex5q0.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=WT5K3KF3" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

The problem with Sony's strategy in terms of the marketing and pricing of this thing is they are essentially in a lose lose situation. They say they are trying to market to the "casual" audience, yet most reasonable people would assume that most casual gamers don't own a PS3, so they are faced with a price of $400+ for PS3 vs $200 for a Wii bundled with a game. Which do you think most would pick?

But on the other hand, if Sony was just to market this primarily to hardcore gamers and their existing fan base, they are severely limiting their potential user base with this peripheral. Since there are only 32 million PS3s out there, that means the absolute MOST sales they could achieve with this add on would be 32 million, since most people likely won't fork $300 on a PS3 just for this.

This is the problem with add ons for consoles late in the game. It is limited on the userbase, because in order to get the Move, you NEED to also have a PS3. But I'm willing to bet that most people seeing the move who don't have a PS3 wouldn't buy one just for that feature, especially if you consider the price. So this add on is pointless from a business perspective. Sony would have been much better off to simply bit the bullet on the PS3 and save this for the PS4, where they could start fresh.

Around the Network
Grimes said:

Looking at this from an ecnomic perspective. For the prices that are unannounced, I'm taking a guess.

The PSM is going to be very expensive for a multiplayer setup. Even the Wii is a fair amount for multiplayer.

PSM

PSM basic kit: $100
Nunchuck: $20-30
Lightstick: $40-50

Full one person setup for PSM = basic kit + nunchuck+ extra lightstick + PS3

Full setup for each additional person full setup: lightstick + lightstick + nunchuck

Natal

Natal camera: $50-100

Full One person setup for Natal = Natal camera + X360

For each additional person: Nothing

Wii MotionPlus

MotionPlus: $20
Wimote/WM+ bundle: $50
Nunchuck: $20

Full one person setup for Wii M+ = MotionPlus + Wii

For each additional person full setup: Wiimote + WM+ + Nunchuck

As long as i know: PS Eye=$39.99 , software(eye pet,i think)=$39.99 (price from Best Buy).Which means PS Move=$20. Isnt it fair?

And,Why do you need 2 lightstick? Thats not compulsory i think.

Metallicube said:

The problem with Sony's strategy in terms of the marketing and pricing of this thing is they are essentially in a lose lose situation. They say they are trying to market to the "casual" audience, yet most reasonable people would assume that most casual gamers don't own a PS3, so they are faced with a price of $400+ for PS3 vs $200 for a Wii bundled with a game. Which do you think most would pick?

But on the other hand, if Sony was just to market this primarily to hardcore gamers and their existing fan base, they are severely limiting their potential user base with this peripheral. Since there are only 32 million PS3s out there, that means the absolute MOST sales they could achieve with this add on would be 32 million, since most people likely won't fork $300 on a PS3 just for this.

This is the problem with add ons for consoles late in the game. It is limited on the userbase, because in order to get the Move, you NEED to also have a PS3. But I'm willing to bet that most people seeing the move who don't have a PS3 wouldn't buy one just for that feature, especially if you consider the price. So this add on is pointless from a business perspective. Sony would have been much better off to simply bit the bullet on the PS3 and save this for the PS4, where they could start fresh.

This my friend is what I call wishful thinking.

I am betting you right now that there will be $299 bundle with Move, anyone wants that bet.

E

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

WRONG.

This is so that kids or people that want a PS3 can say their parents or significant others who want a wii "hey, check this out i can get my ps3 and you get your wii for only $100 with better graphics, a blu ray player and the same games"

The thing hindering it is most definately not the price but the fact early word of mouth has been negative pretty much all around and getting that out of peoples heads as being "laggy" if they fix it is the biggest issue.

^new cheaper PS3 SKU for $300 including Move package confirmed? I think they could release a new PS3 SKU. Blu-ray, small HDD (40GB tops) and as you say BITE the bullet, but why wait for PS4 and bite the bullet then? bite the bullet NOW.

Sell it at a loss. Yeah, you heard me right. Sell the PS3 + PSeye + 1 Move remote + 1 sub-remote + Sports game for $300. I don't think their loss would be so high even if a 120GB HDD was included.

They know they need a quick install-base growth for this to succeed. And they will more than make up for it selling extra Move-remotes, sub-remotes and plenty of games. And hey, casuals would sure love Blu-ray as an extra.

SONY PS3

IT ONLY COPIES EVERYTHING