By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect and Halo hate

I have to admit, I was a little bit disappointed with Halo 3, but it's still an awesome game. The same happened to me with Super Mario Galaxy, it's great and all, but not that great! Games, movies, etc. can never live up the the hype - never!

People that say Halo 3 sucks are just fanboys of another system or disappointed 360 owners that are greatly exaggerating their real feelings.

Around the Network

I never (intentionally) bash games of other consoles. Uncharted is the most interesting game on the PS3 right now, but it's not enough for me to buy it. I will consider it though when MGS4 comes out, it looks awesome. The Wii on the other hand, I really doubt that I'll ever buy, for two reasons:
- Flawed controlls. I was really exited for the wii when I heard about the new controlls, and I fully believe this is the right step for the industry. However, I'd rather play with a regular controller than the wii controller.
- Too few story driven games. Sure, most stories in video games suck compared to books/tv, but the fact that it's an interactive medium makes it so much more exiting. It's like seeing a bad action movie on TV - it sucks. But in a 3D cinema it would be truely awesome to watch.

MikeB said:
I think expectations were really high. Halo 3 and Mass Effect were expected to push the XBox 360 hardware to its limits considering the amount of time the hardware has been on the market, their huge development budgets, it's easier to get the most out of the hardware (on the PS3 it takes more effort to move processes over to the SPEs to see huge gains) and these are 1st party exclusives for the platform so they don't need to make sacrifices to suit other platforms.

Halo 3 is being rendered in 640p and offering no AA (one of the EDRAM most talked about benefits) and Mass Effect has severe framerate issues:

Australian (PALGN) review: "The frame-rate drops constantly; if it was every now and then it might not be a big issue, but it’s frequent to say the least. Textures don’t always load properly either, and we experienced the game locking up on occasion for a few seconds at a time, which can be extremely frustrating, especially in combat."

Eurogamer: "Although it underpins the game with all sorts of excellent ideas that ought to make it a deeper, more intelligent and immersive experience, the simple truth is that the minute-to-minute combat simply isn't as intense and involving as you'd expect from a game in 2007. Throw in some grumbles about the somewhat unoptimised state of the frame-rate, texture pop-in and v-syncing terrors, and it's a game that just falls short of our expectations."

Mike, take your off-topic hardware BS out of the MS forum. It's bad enough reading your drivel in the Gaming forum.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I really just don't like Halo 3 that much. I bought it, and then shipped it off on ebay a day ago. It really just didn't click for me. I'm not a big fan of the FPS genre, although I like Unreal. Not being a fan of the genre is difficult when being an American and also a 360 owner.

As for Mass Effect, it looks awesome and I'll probably get it when I finish some games I'm already working on (Got to finish R&C, Folklore, and Eternal Sonata first). I'm still in university, so I don't have a whole lot of time for games.

I'm probably one of the few that is looking forward to the 2008 line-up more than the 2007 line-up for the 360. Lost Odyssey, Ninja Gaiden, and possibly Infinite Undiscovery. Bald Space Marines will take the backseat for a while, and the Japanese goodness will make an appearance.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

One of my DISLIKES (not hate mind you!) about Mass Effect is the way the game does'nt really pause when you get that command wheel thing, the characters still blink, shuffle etc etc. Not that it's entirely bad >_>;;; it just makes your character look like he/she has down syndrom while thinking of a response ._.;;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Well, the reason why I dislike Halo 3 is because it feels like a multiplayer game with a campaign slapped on the side. I'm more of an offline gamer, sure I'll play maybe around 50 matches online, but for me offline is where it's at. (This is why I will get a 360, but most probably never Live)

I haven't played Mass Effect, nor have I seen much about it (I steer clear from the threads, as they have very little to do with me), so I'll reserve judgement. However, from the little I have seen (lesbian sex scene) it looks like it will be a very good game.

ckmlb said:
Before Galaxy started getting crazy reviews all you could hear was how the game reviewers hate the Wii. Now that's all changed. It's the same with all fanboys.

Yeah, amazingly reviews didn't matter for the last few months because they were biased, and then they started to matter for a week or so, and now they're starting to not matter again.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

stof said:
To hate Mass Effect is to hate puppies and to wish that they all be drowned.

To hate Halo is to let your perfectly justifiable distaste for the overblown advertisement campaign and too high sales cloud your judgement on what really is a hell of a good game.

True, but the bottom line is people troll these games because they're big games with good reviews (probably on consoles they don't own), it's like bashing Galaxy, MP3, Uncharted, or Ratchet.  

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

It just boggles the mind how outspoken people are on their distaste of what seems to have been proven examples of really good games. I mean really, in the IT dept of one of my friend's work, all they do all day is play Halo. And mostly Co-Op, the CAMPAIGN part of Halo that so many complain about. I have the Orange Box, I looove how long it is but I just love the pace and feel of Halo. The hype about the game is not the reason I brought it. I brought it because it is FUN, and VERY complete, kudos to Microsoft for spending millions to advertise this labour of gaming love and creativity from Bungie. Because of this millions who might not even consider playing videogames have a new hobby.

Thank you so much. I've been waiting for a mod to call him on his trolling BS for some time now. Thank you