By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect and Halo hate

@omgwtfbbq:

If people simply don't like a type of game they don't usually hate on it, they stay away from it.

@gamingdevil: I mentioned Wii fanboys because those are the mostcommon here. I did mention all fanboys are the same.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

To hate Mass Effect is to hate puppies and to wish that they all be drowned.

To hate Halo is to let your perfectly justifiable distaste for the overblown advertisement campaign andtoo high sales clowd your judgement on what really is a hell of a good game.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

rocketpig said:
Most of the hate stems from jealousy from fanboys who don't own a 360 and want to downplay the fact that they're missing great games on another system.

The vast minority of the "hate" comes from people who just don't like the game. Most people who don't like the game just keep quiet about it so you won't hear much from them.

The same applies to any hyped exclusive, whether it is Metroid, Galaxy, Uncharted, or um... some other PS3 game. Not many PS3 games releasing in the near future are that hyped outside of the rabid foaming-at-the-mouth Sony crowd who want to hype everything from Motorstorm to Lair.

What big game is left for the rest of the year other than ME, Uncharted or Rock Band? You make it sound like there are a dozen more hyped games coming to Wii and 360 this year and nothing on PS3.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Legend11 said:
cdude1034 said:
Believe it or not, some people just don't like those games.

I believe it, what's annoying though is when I say I don't like Nintendo games and get insulted for it but the people who dislike FPS seem to get pats on the back.  Basically if I play a 10-50 hour game I want a good story but if it's just a 10-30 minutes at a time casual game like Tetris, Minesweeper, etc, then I'm fine with no story or a poor one.

Erm last time I checked, Nintendo was a company, and not a genre.

While most FPS games are very similar, Nintendo make games with such an amazingly broad range of genres that to simply say "I don't like Nintendo games" is very closed minded. It would be the same thing with "I don't like Sony games", "I don't like Capcom games", etc etc.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

ckmlb said:
@omgwtfbbq:

If people simply don't like a type of game they don't usually hate on it, they stay away from it.

@gamingdevil: I mentioned Wii fanboys because those are the mostcommon here. I did mention all fanboys are the same.

Really? Your statement flies in the face of every single piece of evidence I have ever seen on forums anywhere.

Around the Network
omgwtfbbq said:
Legend11 said:
cdude1034 said:

I believe it, what's annoying though is when I say I don't like Nintendo games and get insulted for it but the people who dislike FPS seem to get pats on the back.  Basically if I play a 10-50 hour game I want a good story but if it's just a 10-30 minutes at a time casual game like Tetris, Minesweeper, etc, then I'm fine with no story or a poor one.

While most FPS games are very similar, Nintendo make games with such an amazingly broad range of genres that to simply say "I don't like Nintendo games" is very closed minded. It would be the same thing with "I don't like Sony games", "I don't like Capcom games", etc etc.

Did you miss the part where I said I want a good story?  Nintendo games may be in different genres but they're all pretty much developed the same way.  In fact I'm willing to bet they have some kind of handbook or something they give to their game designers/programmers because all Nintendo games also have the same kind of "feel" to them for lack of a better word.

ChronotriggerJM said:
WEWdeadeye said:
Oh yeah, of course it is bias chrono, they definitely have bias for 360, I'm glad someone with an icon of Kratos from GoW was nice enough to point that out for the rest of us. I must have been blind.
Anyways, the reason Uncharted didn't get a score YOU probably think it deserved, is because all it did was mix together ideas that other games made famous, added in a story (albeit, a really really good one, I am still contemplating purchasing the game, probably a rent and beat it in a weekend though) and the game just wasn't that long, or difficult. Not a bad thing, easily accessible, but it would be nice if the platforming was a bit more difficult, and if they added anything resembling a somewhat challenging puzzle that would be cool too.
Most of the hate for MS, ME, and Halo all comes from sony/PS3 fans generally, and I can see why, even though I own a PS3 too. If I didn't own a box in addition to the PS3, I would be pretty bitter about how much coverage 360 games seem to get, the lack of games in general the PS3 has/had, and the fact that I can't play any of those good games. I'm sure this has something to do with the way leo-j acts. Way to prove a point there RedToof, he complains about Mass Effect and Halo being to short, comparing them both to CoD4, which is even shorter than Halo, make sense? NO! Not only that, I don't think there is a single game out for PS3 that is even close to the length of mass effect, which is from what I hear, 20 hours or so if not more, if you actually play through the entire game, and explore most everything there is to explore.
I agree with you all in the attention aspect of things. When your brand/console is getting none, its really easy to lash out and try to grab some for yourself, and your brand at the same time. For the most part MS hate is followed by Sony praise, so not only do you open everyone's eyes to their plight, but you also get to show them the map to the true "treasure"....in your eyes. Blah, I'm done.

I actually don't have bias against 360 games :) I've played many and enjoyed a few ^^ and I honestly don't care how much press it gets :) I didn't buy a 360 and I really don't plan on it yet, my PS3 has more than enough games to play at the moment, and still provides ton's of useability via bluray/internet/psp connectivity etc. I'm not a fanboy, I'm a supporter. I won't tell people not to buy an Xbox and I don't go into their threads bashing their consoles. I just don't have enough drive to do so.

But the things with Uncharted/Mass Effect.

Game Trailers Complained that Uncharted didn't have an original theme to it, and thus they docked points (Alien sci-fi is original?)

Uncharted is pretty much other games combined and perfected. Mass effect is doijng things never done before, and its own world is unique, theres plenty of action games with bad guys all the same. Mass effect is in an entire different universe with races they made.

They griped about the Melee controls being too difficult to pull off (they were embarassingly easy, seriously you can just keep hitting square to kick the crap out of someone)

They said that the story and graphics were some of the best they'd EVER SEEN in a video game but they gave design and story an 8.0 and a 9.0, not bad by any means but thats hardly "best ever seen" acording to their own words!

Presentation is the graphics part, and they gave that very high, design is how original it is, and they commented the story is well done, but nothing havent seen before.

They bitched that it didn't have Online Leader boards... ok seriously W T F?!? This is a single player game people! I'm sick of people rating a game that "could have been" instead of what they have in front of them.

They were commenting on how short the game was, its good but short, and they wanted something that would make the game worth 60 bucks

They whined about the A.I... Seriously I've never seen better A.I. On EASY mode, if you stay in one place too long they WILL grenade your cover, they WILL flank you and they all completely use the cover they have in the area very effectively. I seriously haven't seen better A.I.

Seen it in COD, Halo and everything else.

They bitched about replayability, I'm sorry the game isn't that long, so to me that already means it would be easy to pick up and play again at a later date, but on top of that they have this insane rewards menu that you get "reward points" (think achievements that actually do stuff :D ) for including stuff like behind the scenes, dev interviews, cheats, storyboards etc etc etc. its a HUGE list of things to complete. 

Sorry but little extra things is not huge replayability, or HS would not have gotten hit so hard. Heck technically you could say halos single player campaign is replayable for all the little skull and terminal goodies, when really its not.

Now after the uncharted review which deserved the score it got (8.9) they review Mass Effect, which I've heard from NUMEROUS people is riddled with minor problems, nothing make or break mind you, but numerous none the less. But they DIDN'T dock points for its un-original theme, nor its A.I., nor its techinical problems (textures loading after game loads, horrid load times, random collision detection issues, clipping, etc etc etc), then they gave it a 9.6! Wtf! I'm sure its a great game and all, and I'll surely be playing it! But how do you dock points from Uncharted by wishing it had an "online leaderboard" then completely overlook everything wrong with Mass Effect?!? ARG 

Numerous problems, in a game FULL of awsomeness (thats a quote from them)

They docked points for AI most likely in gameplay,a nd docked it points in presentation for the graphics problem.

Again its theme is completely original, its its own universe. It might be like other games, but contains a world they created with characters no one else created. Drakes forture......weve seen how many games where someone goes treasure hunting then fights pirates?  Its not just GT, Mass effect overall has a higher ranking.

bolded

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Legend11 said:
omgwtfbbq said:
Legend11 said:
cdude1034 said:

Did you miss the part where I said I want a good story?  Nintendo games may be in different genres but they're all pretty much developed the same way.  In fact I'm willing to bet they have some kind of handbook or something they give to their game designers/programmers because all Nintendo games also have the same kind of "feel" to them for lack of a better word.

Yes I did miss it. Because you clearly said "if it's just a 10-30 minutes at a time casual game like Tetris, Minesweeper, etc, then I'm fine with no story or a poor one." Sorry if I took that to mean that you're fine with no story or a poor one for games where you play 10-30 minutes at a time. Sorry, my mistake. You must have accidentally typed "I'm fine with" rather than "I don't want". It's a common mistake, the keys are like, right next to each other. It could happen to anyone.

I obviously also missed the part where all Nintendo games have a bad story! Perhaps you only played Mario because there are plenty of story driven games made by Nintendo (Zelda, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Paper Mario). You've of course, probably never played these games because you don't like Nintendo games. Good for you. It's still closed minded.

omgwtfbbq said:

I obviously also missed the part where all Nintendo games have a bad story! Perhaps you only played Mario because there are plenty of story driven games made by Nintendo (Zelda, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Paper Mario). You've of course, probably never played these games because you don't like Nintendo games. Good for you. It's still closed minded.

In all fairness, the story-driven Nintendo games usually involve Nintendo taking the same story and driving it straight into the ground. They re-tell the same story over and over again.

That's not to say I don't love them but it's hardly innovative stuff.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Sigh. Let me take the side of the anti-hyped games, and such.

I think with any game, it comes down to a few sensibilities about a given game:

With an ultra-highly rated, revolutionary game in a given genre that someone loves (ie, a WRPG fan being madly in love with Mass Effect, or a FPS person liking Halo 3 and Bioshock), we have come to have a deep-rooted respect for the given game.

So when someone dissents out of personal opinion, it attacks our strong feelings about our enjoyment of a game. Millions of people spend vastly more time on Halo 3 than probably every single Wii game combined around the world. Yet despite that, Halo 3 isn't the be-all end-all of games. It has it's flaws, but also has a great multiplayer environment. However, not everyone likes that.

Mass Effect is the same way. It has a ton of shooter elements in it. Approaching Mass Effect, I have always been leary of the idea of adding too much TPS elements, and muddying the waters of what a quality RPG is. Now, in my case, I'm trying to get beyond that (ie, an elongated Gears of War with quests). However, for some, they cannot get beyond that, as it stabs their beloved Final Fantasy, and such in the back.

I've experienced something just as heinous: all the Blue Dragon bashing. It's a near-flawless gem of a Japanese RPG. Nearly perfect in every way, backed by a rabid fanbase of owners that realize how truely awesome this RPG is. Despite this, it's had bad reviews (77% avg), and alot of stupid bashing from these forums. Does it make me mad? Of course it does, expecially when idiots attack it that don't realize that they're missing out on a Dragon Quest and/or Final Fantasy-level RPG.

But then I realize: it really shouldn't matter what other's think. The people that bash these games DO NOT OWN A 360. Not only that, they'll never buy one: they're too stupid to do that. Because of that, I can't worry. They are just going to have to miss out on the fantastic library of games that they'd probably love if they got off their N-tard or Sonyfan rockers, and tried the library. Likewise, I am sure I miss a few great Wii games with my bias to the X360.

That's just life. Get over it. The X360, from reviewers, is the king of quality gaming. If the 60% of people on this forum that consider the Wii the best system of the next gen's + handhelds want to ignore and bash the X360, that's fine. I'm the one laughing because I haven't had a video game drought since the X360 launched. They have had to trudge through crap game after crap game thrown at them.

So in the end, I smile. I get Mass Effect, they don't. And that's the sweetest victory: denying your enemy a chance to enjoy themselves as they play Mario Party 8 and their Boogie-esque games while I enjoy Sakaguchi and Mass Effect.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.