By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is there soo much negativity in any 360 related thread?

CGI-Quality said:
@ selnor

Also, check out the GOWIII review thread to see what reviewer(s) MANY of them, think about it's visuals.

I wouldn't debate it without anything solid.

Apparently reviewers think that it is inconsistant.....with some scenes and characters being some of the best in gaming and others being only passable as "good".

Here is something from IGN:

"However, the graphical fidelity is not entirely consistent. There are a couple areas of the game that just don't match up to the most impressive stuff, creating an uneven feeling in the visual presentation. Granted, even at its worst God of War III still looks really good, but some spots just don't feature the same level of lighting quality or perhaps texture work as others. The biggest culprits in this issue, however, are some of the characters. There are a few that look fantastic, but many are clearly not on the same level as Kratos, and some are even only passable as "good"."

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network
Akvod said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:
I think people need to stop with it. It's ruining this site immensely.

There was a comment I disagreed with just tonight in the Sony forums. I PM'd the person in question, as to not derail that thread with 360 fanboy outcomes. If you dont believe me ask CGI. IT was him I PM'd.

IF I'm considered what is the most exastive 360 fan on here and I dont troll Sony forums with games I'm likely never to buy, then why do so many PS fans do it. Hell those loads of Sony threads I disagree with. But you dont se me trolling every Sony thread.

Every single 360 thread gets I reckon 70% posts from Sony fans with no intention of ever buying the game. So why comment? The threads get derailed and then locked by some random mod. Why have the mods not spotted this?

Something needs to change, because it's getting as bad as the GAF.

You of all people should not be the one to talk....most of your the gfx of this game is da best evah threads are full of troll bait and taunting....you Selnor imo is one of the reasons for this whole situation...and I am tlaking about recent activity as I am relatively new...so I 'might' be wrong but that's just my impression

WTF? Seriousy this comment is exactly whats wrong with the site now. There is at least 100 more best PS3 gfx games threads on here with no trolling. Sitting happily in the Sony forums.But when a 360 one opens with actual reviewer or technical backing, it's trolled to high heaven. It's all because Sony shouted a false promise to it's fan. And one they have all run with from day one.Until you see that, this site will stay the same.

I really hate to do this, because I really planned on leaving this subject after my last post, but would you elaborate on what they lied about?

Ok. From day one, Sony have touted and touted about more power than the competition. M$ made one rebutle in 2006 against Sony's comments of more power, showing why 360 was more pwerful in a hugely detailed way. Now outside of Sony and M$ third party developers have said +'s for either console being more powerful. Some say 360 some say PS3. But Sony really touted the Cell like crazy. Even though we stand in 2010 with 2 games getting tremendous nods for graphics on both consoles ( and I'm talking about the best comments for tech and graphics ) it would seem niether is out of touch with each other. And 4 years into PS3's life, it would appear not to be ahead powerwise.

What am I basing it off? Third party opinions of the consoles ( outside of comapnies with a vested interest in either console ) and media for games.

Really? 3rd Parties such as Id Tech 5 & Crytek, two of the most tech driven in existence (and two of the devs that people such as yourself  & RAZurrection use as references with graphics discussions), have agreed that the PS3 has more raw power, but that's besides the point. Unless you can factually prove that Sony somehow falsified their statements, you can't say what promises were broken.

One things for sure selnor, you use reviews as the template when judging graphics and right now, reviews are giving the nod to the PS3.

Ok. Your take. But I can equally see ID Tech 5 and Crytek interviews suggesting the 360 has more power. The lead programmer on Crytek told in a video interview " PS3 being the weaker of the 3, you know the 360 and PC, it took longer to get the most out of it. However we now have it running on a par with the others.

Like I said, Third parties are split. And yeah many reviews side with MAss Effect2. So 2010 started with a lean towards 360. GOW3 will take some back. But what happens when Alan Wake heaves it over this way? People will ignore it and continue as normal saying the 360 has less power.

It's this that is exactly what this site has become.

It wasnt always this bad.

If that's true, have you any sources?

Also, I didn't see reviews claiming Mass Effect 2 had any graphical superiority. I did hear nothing but good things to say about it, however.

IGN and videogamer are in my sig. But then they likely get twisted here at VGChartz. Proving my point. Like GOW3's GN graphics comment got twisted for the better.

Oh the Crytek guy. I can do better than that. I'll provide the video. It's actually part 3 of 3. Big interview.

Go to 8:30.

And yet, neither reviewer calls Mass Effect 2  the best looking game ever. I'm not trying to hate on it, but I can find several - many reviews calling Killzone 2, God of War III, or Uncharted 2 just that.

Miles ahead to me means the same thing. And the Best vista you ever did see comment is strikingly similar to how the IGN GOW3 comment comes off. Best here but no there kinda feel.

But yeah. It should be interesting to see the reaction on VGC to Alan Wakes comments in reviews.

Read the edit.

Also, in reference to Alan Wake, I'd suggest not pushing too hard. That's where people get the ideas to start these types of problems in the first place, especially if reviews don't consider it to be the pinnacle of console visuals.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=99163

I don't think he ever cared about Bad Company 2, just wanted to use it for propaganda, as always.

And here you have it folks... a quote pyramid so tall and mighty that even the Egyptians would blush

Akvod said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:

There was a comment I disagreed with just tonight in the Sony forums. I PM'd the person in question, as to not derail that thread with 360 fanboy outcomes. If you dont believe me ask CGI. IT was him I PM'd.

IF I'm considered what is the most exastive 360 fan on here and I dont troll Sony forums with games I'm likely never to buy, then why do so many PS fans do it. Hell those loads of Sony threads I disagree with. But you dont se me trolling every Sony thread.

Every single 360 thread gets I reckon 70% posts from Sony fans with no intention of ever buying the game. So why comment? The threads get derailed and then locked by some random mod. Why have the mods not spotted this?

You of all people should not be the one to talk....most of your the gfx of this game is da best evah threads are full of troll bait and taunting....you Selnor imo is one of the reasons for this whole situation...and I am tlaking about recent activity as I am relatively new...so I 'might' be wrong but that's just my impression

WTF? Seriousy this comment is exactly whats wrong with the site now. There is at least 100 more best PS3 gfx games threads on here with no trolling. Sitting happily in the Sony forums.But when a 360 one opens with actual reviewer or technical backing, it's trolled to high heaven. It's all because Sony shouted a false promise to it's fan. And one they have all run with from day one.Until you see that, this site will stay the same.

I really hate to do this, because I really planned on leaving this subject after my last post, but would you elaborate on what they lied about?

Ok. From day one, Sony have touted and touted about more power than the competition. M$ made one rebutle in 2006 against Sony's comments of more power, showing why 360 was more pwerful in a hugely detailed way. Now outside of Sony and M$ third party developers have said +'s for either console being more powerful. Some say 360 some say PS3. But Sony really touted the Cell like crazy. Even though we stand in 2010 with 2 games getting tremendous nods for graphics on both consoles ( and I'm talking about the best comments for tech and graphics ) it would seem niether is out of touch with each other. And 4 years into PS3's life, it would appear not to be ahead powerwise.

What am I basing it off? Third party opinions of the consoles ( outside of comapnies with a vested interest in either console ) and media for games.

Really? 3rd Parties such as Id Tech 5 & Crytek, two of the most tech driven in existence (and two of the devs that people such as yourself  & RAZurrection use as references with graphics discussions), have agreed that the PS3 has more raw power, but that's besides the point. Unless you can factually prove that Sony somehow falsified their statements, you can't say what promises were broken.

One things for sure selnor, you use reviews as the template when judging graphics and right now, reviews are giving the nod to the PS3.

Ok. Your take. But I can equally see ID Tech 5 and Crytek interviews suggesting the 360 has more power. The lead programmer on Crytek told in a video interview " PS3 being the weaker of the 3, you know the 360 and PC, it took longer to get the most out of it. However we now have it running on a par with the others.

Like I said, Third parties are split. And yeah many reviews side with MAss Effect2. So 2010 started with a lean towards 360. GOW3 will take some back. But what happens when Alan Wake heaves it over this way? People will ignore it and continue as normal saying the 360 has less power.

It's this that is exactly what this site has become.

It wasnt always this bad.

If that's true, have you any sources?

Also, I didn't see reviews claiming Mass Effect 2 had any graphical superiority. I did hear nothing but good things to say about it, however.

IGN and videogamer are in my sig. But then they likely get twisted here at VGChartz. Proving my point. Like GOW3's GN graphics comment got twisted for the better.

Oh the Crytek guy. I can do better than that. I'll provide the video. It's actually part 3 of 3. Big interview.

Go to 8:30.

And yet, neither reviewer calls Mass Effect 2  the best looking game ever. I'm not trying to hate on it, but I can find several - many reviews calling Killzone 2, God of War III, or Uncharted 2 just that.

Miles ahead to me means the same thing. And the Best vista you ever did see comment is strikingly similar to how the IGN GOW3 comment comes off. Best here but no there kinda feel.

But yeah. It should be interesting to see the reaction on VGC to Alan Wakes comments in reviews.

Read the edit.

Also, in reference to Alan Wake, I'd suggest not pushing too hard. That's where people get the ideas to start these types of problems in the first place, especially if reviews don't consider it to be the pinnacle of console visuals.

I don't think he ever cared about Bad Company 2, just wanted to use it for propaganda, as always.

Akvod. Oh the run ins with you. :(

I have played the demo of BFBC2 to death. Had it from day 1. So yeah I love the game. Funny as well, I spent more time on BFMC2 than on Halo3. No, I'm not a fan of Battlefield. By the way MW sucks compared to BF series IMO.

selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:

Sony said PS3 will be twice as powerful as Xbox 360

"According to IBM’s white pages, the cell processor being used in the ps3 is considerably less powerful than what it has been hyped up to be.
Sony officially revealed the PS3 and for the first time at E3 2005, and claimed that their Cell processor would be capable of 200 GFLOPS.

When physically tested however, only 155.5 GFLOP’s were actually achieved (see Table 4) with a total efficiency rate of 75.9%.
Because of manufacturing yield issues, the PS3 will only use 7 SPE’s with the theoretical peak for the PS3’s Cell processor being reduced to 176 GFLOP’s, each running at 25.12 GFLOP’s.

http://ps3.qj.net/Inside-the-PS3-s-O...g/49/aid/21047
According to the (unbiased) site above, the PS3 will also constantly reserve 1 SPE** for running its operating system. Now that there is actually one less SPE reserved for gaming purposes, it is definite that the ps3’s cell will only be capable of 114.4 GFLOP’s for the purpose of game processing."

The Xbox 360 has 3 general-purpose 2-threaded CPU's, which generates a proven 115.2 GFLOP’s which is dramatically easier for developers to utilize. By now it should be pathetically obvious that sony is no where near as far ahead as they try to lead you to think (keep in mind they claimed that the ps2 was more powerful than the original xbox, but were proven wrong publicly, since the xbox was indeed twice as powerful).

joeorc said:

do you know why the xbox360 is called the xbox?

it's because it's the DIRECTX box..

what does sony use OPEN GL

john carmack even quoted he prefer's the xbox360 for development, why that's not silly at all gee "Direct X", and Cryteck gee another PC developer that is what

"Direct X" once again.

Carmack even states that the playstation 3 is more powerful but take's more time. you ever wonder why?

it's pretty d@mn simple

where did OPEN GL come from?

News Press Release
Silicon Graphics and Microsoft Form Strategic Alliance To Define the Future of Graphics

John Carmack prefers OpenGL so naturally he ought to prefer the PS3, shouldn't he? He develops all his games in OpenGL and he only touches Direct3d in relation to his work on Xbox 360 consoles. The majority of his time is spent working with OpenGL! So theres the glaring hole in your argument here, sorry.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
RAZurrection said:
CGI-Quality said:
RAZurrection said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yeah, see here's another problem, there's links and articles available which state the direct opposite, but you treat it like it's fact.

Let's have em.

John Carmack interview with Wired re: PS3

"It's not a bad console; it's certainly far better than everything else
except maybe the Xbox 360
. In an ideal world PlayStation 3 will be more
powerful, but for the vast majority of the cases, you'll be able to
effectively exploit more power from the 360."

Rage preview/interview

"The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off..."

Another interview

, "...the only thing Sony has going for them over the 360, is the data storage on the blu-ray..." And about a minute and a half later, just in case we didn't quite hear him correctly the first time, he said, "...the only real advantage that the PS3 has over the 360, from our point of view, is the extra space."

..."Yeah, I mean that's our position that it's almost unequivocal across the board that the 360 is a better platform to develop for. When you get down into actual comparisons on the hardware performance characteristics, it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. On almost anything on the strictly graphical side, in terms of pushing vertexes and triangles on there, the 360 hardware is superior to the PS3's RSX on there.

"On the processing side it's a little bit more complicated, where the main processor on the PS3 is roughly equivalent to one of the three processors on the 360. But then you wind up saying, you have to compare two other symmetric processors on the 360 versus the eight quirky cell processors. And that comes down to one of those questions, where if you just look at the raw numbers, the cells are much more powerful. Many more flops on there, in theory you can do a lot more, but that's where you come to the difference between theory and practice. And given an infinite amount of development time on there, you can craft a program that's gonna work more efficiently on the cells there than on two additional processors on the 360. But given a finite amount of development time, it's much-much easier to get things working well on the 360 than it is on the PS3. And that's pretty much the case across the board."

on blu-ray

"And if it winds up getting a benefit because of the blu-ray and having the better compression on there, then it's going to wind up looking like the PS3 was the better machine, even though it really wasn't.."

Crytek

Cavet Yerli on Cryengine 3

"We realise the PS3 is going to be the lowest common denominator for a lot of developers"

http://www.destructoid.com/how-does-cryengine-3-run-differently-on-ps3-and-360--132464.phtml

.. If the game’s shader-heavy it runs a bit faster on 360" - This after commenting that they wanted to make Crysis 2 the most shader heavy game yet.

Odds are though i'm sure you will counter these statements with your own. My question is, why do you think your links over-rule mine?

Especially when we have previews like this

Rage runs faster on 360

"You can surmise that the Xbox 360 version of the engine (CryEngine 3) appears to be ahead in development compared to the PS3 rendition. You draw this conclusion simply from the fact that the majority of shots involving elements that really tax the engine (and thus incur frame loss) are using 360 video."

which, in apperently real-life situations paint an opposing picture.

Neither Carmack nor Crytek call the 360 more powerful. They both agree that it takes more to get out of the PS3, but neither have said the 360 IS the more powerful machine, which is what you're arguing.

In fact, in my links, Carmack admits to having a 360 preference, while also admitting that the PS3 has more peak power. Crytek admits that the PS3 version of Crysis 2 will be better, like I said, slightly though.

In other words, you haven't proven anything.

You seem to have not read the whole thing.....after he talks about the ps3 having more peak power he goes off into only saying that that is in only in theory.

joeorc said:
NightAntilli said:

That "slightly better" part is too vague to try to say anything objective about it. Especially with the word "here" behind it. That could mean anything. He could mean a specific task, he could mean the whole engine (which you want to believe), he could mean in that particular demo, we don't know.

And yes, the PS3 has more theoretical power and more peak performance. However, theoretical/peak power and actual performance can be very deceiving. That's also seen with graphics cards on the PC market. There have been many examples where one card would have more flops than the other, but the one with lower flops still outperformed the higher one. I'm not saying it's definitely the case with the X360 and PS3, however, the PS3 has an unnecessary complex architecture. This architecture is more prone to bottlenecks than the X360. It's like the X360 and PS3 having a race, the X360 having a car with max speed 100mph, the PS3 a car with max speed 150mph, the only difference is, the road the PS3 needs to drive on has 500 big holes per mile and a few horses crossing the road now and then, while the X360 only has 200 holes with bunnies crossing the road. You get the idea.

see that right there, do you even know why the PS3 is designed along those line's.?

do you even care?

more prone to bottle neck's?

how so..by multiplatform developer's who what develop mainly with The idea to avoid getting their code more streamlined.?

Mike Acton pointed out many thing's that's qrong with the development community in the very reason on how they look at development on the PS3.

o'l but your right , it's not that the developer's that need to change it's the PS3 design that needed to be more cookie cutter.

To be honest, I don't really care why the architecture is the way it is. Some people say it's to allow the graphics to get better over time, which is nothing but a lame excuse in my opinion. And actually, the one who is hurt the most by this is Sony. They need to put much more resources into developing for the PS3 than if the architecture was a bit more simple. They are the ones losing money over this. Aside from that, you really can't force a 3rd party developer to put more effort on your platform than on the other one. They do what they can within the limited time span, and chances are, the easier platform to develop for is gonna get the cake.

Truth does not fear investigation

CGI-Quality said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
CGI-Quality said:
RAZurrection said:
CGI-Quality said:
RAZurrection said:
CGI-Quality said:

Yeah, see here's another problem, there's links and articles available which state the direct opposite, but you treat it like it's fact.

Let's have em.

John Carmack interview with Wired re: PS3

"It's not a bad console; it's certainly far better than everything else
except maybe the Xbox 360
. In an ideal world PlayStation 3 will be more
powerful, but for the vast majority of the cases, you'll be able to
effectively exploit more power from the 360."

Rage preview/interview

"The RSX is slower than what we have in the 360. The CPU is about the same, but the 360 makes it easier to split things off..."

Another interview

, "...the only thing Sony has going for them over the 360, is the data storage on the blu-ray..." And about a minute and a half later, just in case we didn't quite hear him correctly the first time, he said, "...the only real advantage that the PS3 has over the 360, from our point of view, is the extra space."

..."Yeah, I mean that's our position that it's almost unequivocal across the board that the 360 is a better platform to develop for. When you get down into actual comparisons on the hardware performance characteristics, it's not quite an apples to apples comparison. On almost anything on the strictly graphical side, in terms of pushing vertexes and triangles on there, the 360 hardware is superior to the PS3's RSX on there.

"On the processing side it's a little bit more complicated, where the main processor on the PS3 is roughly equivalent to one of the three processors on the 360. But then you wind up saying, you have to compare two other symmetric processors on the 360 versus the eight quirky cell processors. And that comes down to one of those questions, where if you just look at the raw numbers, the cells are much more powerful. Many more flops on there, in theory you can do a lot more, but that's where you come to the difference between theory and practice. And given an infinite amount of development time on there, you can craft a program that's gonna work more efficiently on the cells there than on two additional processors on the 360. But given a finite amount of development time, it's much-much easier to get things working well on the 360 than it is on the PS3. And that's pretty much the case across the board."

on blu-ray

"And if it winds up getting a benefit because of the blu-ray and having the better compression on there, then it's going to wind up looking like the PS3 was the better machine, even though it really wasn't.."

Crytek

Cavet Yerli on Cryengine 3

"We realise the PS3 is going to be the lowest common denominator for a lot of developers"

http://www.destructoid.com/how-does-cryengine-3-run-differently-on-ps3-and-360--132464.phtml

.. If the game’s shader-heavy it runs a bit faster on 360" - This after commenting that they wanted to make Crysis 2 the most shader heavy game yet.

Odds are though i'm sure you will counter these statements with your own. My question is, why do you think your links over-rule mine?

Especially when we have previews like this

Rage runs faster on 360

"You can surmise that the Xbox 360 version of the engine (CryEngine 3) appears to be ahead in development compared to the PS3 rendition. You draw this conclusion simply from the fact that the majority of shots involving elements that really tax the engine (and thus incur frame loss) are using 360 video."

which, in apperently real-life situations paint an opposing picture.

Neither Carmack nor Crytek call the 360 more powerful. They both agree that it takes more to get out of the PS3, but neither have said the 360 IS the more powerful machine, which is what you're arguing.

In fact, in my links, Carmack admits to having a 360 preference, while also admitting that the PS3 has more peak power. Crytek admits that the PS3 version of Crysis 2 will be better, like I said, slightly though.

In other words, you haven't proven anything.

You seem to have not read the whole thing.....after he talks about the ps3 having more peak power he goes off into only saying that that is in only in theory.

Where does he state the 360 is the more powerful machine though? That's the argument with RAZ. You aren't keeping up.

"The only advantage the ps3 has over the 360 is storage space"

That says it all.

selnor said:
Akvod said:

Akvod. Oh the run ins with you. :(

I have played the demo of BFBC2 to death. Had it from day 1. So yeah I love the game. Funny as well, I spent more time on BFMC2 than on Halo3. No, I'm not a fan of Battlefield. By the way MW sucks compared to BF series IMO.

Oh wow, you played the demo of BFBC2 to death? Just like the rest of us in this forum? XD And you had the demo from day 1 O.O *shock* That's some dedication. Couldn't even join the official thread, post in the dozzen other Bad Company 2 threads, and call BC2 the non-existant Modern Combat 2, played it more than Halo 3, and think MW sucks, but isn't a fan of Battlefield.

Could you tell us your Gamertag so I can add you to the Xbox user lists on the official thread? See, we only have Garnett and Catfang, and they're sure lonely as fuck.

If the flaming and whatnot is so bad, just report people for it. I would not mind a few less silly fanboys (of any hardware)