By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller - kills herself

crumas2 said:
Wiped said:

I literally couldn't agree with you any less, but I'm happy to have a mature debate about it.

I think the fact that Americans hide behind guns being 'constitutional' is ridiculous and archaic. Your country bases a fundamental law on a bit of paper that was created 200-odd years ago? Times change. We no longer live in a state of near-anarchy and we don't have to have guns in case the government goes on a bender. The government is there to protect us, to serve us, and yes, occasionally, to control us. That is inevitable. The American populace, like in any other nation, are controlled and manipulated by their government. The US people have guns, but that is still true. Guns haven't changed that - so I don't accept the argument. It isn't like the government will ever become tyrannical, either. We live in a democracy. 2010 is not 1800. Even when modern atrocities happen, guns wouldn't have helped. In Nazi Germany, if the people had had guns, would that have changed things? Not one bit. Hitler manipulated his people and gained popular support through propaganda and campaigning - he was elected legally in 1933. He still had the support of the German people through most of WW2. Guns, in such a situation, are irrelevant.

Your argument about absolute power is wide of the mark. We can, and must, trust that governments will never have absolute power or abuse it. Governments are elected in a modern democratic society. Even if, for some unknown reason, an American or British government was to start behaving tyrannically, the people owning guns would not make the situation better. It would make it much worse. A state of civil war, of lawlessness and 'every-man-for-himself' style uprising would result. There'd be riots against police and armies - we'd look like the streets of Iraq or Afghanistan. The point is though that the government will not behave tyranically, ever. They are elected, not dictators, and laws are in place to control that elected leader's power. In the UK, a law must pass through the House of Commons and the House of Lords, and approval by both of these groups is necessary before it is passed.

Guns are made for one purpose - to kill or injure. The very idea that weapons can be 'defence' is very, well, American. Give people guns, and they will kill others. Hell, the majority of shootings are by family members to each other - proof that they do more harm than good. It is also a fact that gun crime, murder and crime in general are all lower in the UK than the US, even in proportion in terms of population.

America needs to modernise, desperately. It cannot cling to a tatty old document to maintain that guns are lawful. In the UK, we have no constitution. None. We continually review our laws and update them if necessary, and America should ditch its reliance on the constitution and outlaw guns.

You may some interesting points, but the biggest problem is that you're viewing history through a 20th-century "enlightened" lense.  It seems just so obvious to so many people around that world that the way things work right now is modern democracies is the right way to do things.  Unfortunately, it's still a lense, and it's not necessarily any more enlightened that the views of those who lived 200 years ago.  I'm fairly certain they would look at much of what we have accomplished today and be saddened by how much we've lost, particularly in the areas of freedom, with notable exceptions such as the abolishment of slavery, expansion of who has the right to vote, etc.

I think to a large degree we're like frogs in the pot of warming water... our freedoms/liberties are very slowly removed from us, yet most of us never notice because it's done very slowly and we feel no pain.  Let's disallow handguns in New York City and the UK.  See... nothing bad happened.  People are still free.  Let's remove the right to own semi-automatic weapons now.  Still, everyone seems to be free... no harm done.  Let's put security cameras on every street corner in London to monitor the populace to deter crime.  See, crime went down and we're still free... no harm done, no Orwellian 1984-like society.  Now let's install face-recognition software in every sports stadium to make sure terrorists or other violent offenders do not pose a threat.  See, no government abuse of all that tracking information... no harm done.  Everything is still just fine.

If this trend doesn't change over the next 50 years, the society in the UK and other societies around the world may become completely unrecognizable.  One day your grandson may be asking you "But grandfather, how did you feel safe without the authorities knowing where you were or what you were thinking in case someone was considering committing a crime?  I just can't understand how you can have a safe and effective society where people are not monitored electronically for improper or dangerous thoughts, or where they can actually live with any amount of anonymity.  That is so primitive and unenlightened."

The scenario I just described may sound ridiculous and scary to you and me, today, but may not sound ridiculous at all to our children or grandchildren.  After all, the liberties we enjoy today are being *slowly* eroded... as a society we don't feel the pain.  Yet I would look at a society like that and think what a horrible world it would be to live in... we are becoming sheep out to pasture.

And our one hope here in the US is to cling to that crufty old document called the Constitution that tries to prevent that slow erosion.  Owning guns won't stop the erosion if we willingly embrace it and redesign our constitution, but they may allow a revolt if our government official decide that government of the people, by the people, and for the people is no longer the "enlightened" way.  And guns also allow us to defend ourselves instead of relying on the state to do so... oh, how primitive, eh?

You're right. We definitely need to ensure that as a society, as a people, we do not allow our freedoms to be impinged upon. We can't stand bu and watch 1984 become reality - that much is completely true.

But we musn't make the mistake of thinking that guns are one of the freedoms we should have. That's like saying we should legalise drugs, because them being illegal is hurting our freedoms. They are illegal because they are massively destructive to us as individuals and as a collective society - the same reason, in fact, that guns are illegal in the UK. I don't complain that my rights to murder are impeded by the state's law against it.

Revolt is simply not the answer. The American government spend billions of dollars every year on guns, arms, the army in general. If ever there was a revolt, the people pulling pistols out from under their pillows would change nothing, it would simply make the whole process much more messy. Sadly, if the American government wanted to change to an undemocratic society, there is very little that the people could do, guns or no guns. They'd have to hope that another nation would declare war to put a stop to it (much like how UK and US fought against Hitler's regime in WW2). The idea that guns should be a right simply because it might help a revolt against a government that may become undemocratic is absurd. For one thing, it's far too hypothetical. Let's say it never happens, and that the government more or less keeps within a modicum of power-restraint. Then all the innocent lives lost to the ready availability of guns - such as the little girl of this article - all of the crimes committed, all of the people killed by firearms. would be for nothing. The revolt argument is the one argument with a shred of credence, but it simply isn't strong enough to warrant such old-fashioned and destructive practice such as gun use (and abuse) to freely continue within a supposedly modern society.

My Blog, Please Have A Read:

http://Proseandconsoles.blogspot.com

Around the Network

Killing sprees make me think gun licences should be given only after accurate psychiatric examination, accidents like this make me think a QI test and also a test about responsibility, common sense and civics are necessary.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Wiped said:

You're right. We definitely need to ensure that as a society, as a people, we do not allow our freedoms to be impinged upon. We can't stand bu and watch 1984 become reality - that much is completely true.

But we musn't make the mistake of thinking that guns are one of the freedoms we should have. That's like saying we should legalise drugs, because them being illegal is hurting our freedoms. They are illegal because they are massively destructive to us as individuals and as a collective society - the same reason, in fact, that guns are illegal in the UK. I don't complain that my rights to murder are impeded by the state's law against it.

Revolt is simply not the answer. The American government spend billions of dollars every year on guns, arms, the army in general. If ever there was a revolt, the people pulling pistols out from under their pillows would change nothing, it would simply make the whole process much more messy. Sadly, if the American government wanted to change to an undemocratic society, there is very little that the people could do, guns or no guns. They'd have to hope that another nation would declare war to put a stop to it (much like how UK and US fought against Hitler's regime in WW2). The idea that guns should be a right simply because it might help a revolt against a government that may become undemocratic is absurd. For one thing, it's far too hypothetical. Let's say it never happens, and that the government more or less keeps within a modicum of power-restraint. Then all the innocent lives lost to the ready availability of guns - such as the little girl of this article - all of the crimes committed, all of the people killed by firearms. would be for nothing. The revolt argument is the one argument with a shred of credence, but it simply isn't strong enough to warrant such old-fashioned and destructive practice such as gun use (and abuse) to freely continue within a supposedly modern society.

Your previous posts were pretty good, but this one is too easy to dismantle.

1. Saying that an armed populous (and you have to remember that in the US that means citizens armed with everything from pistols to semi-automatic weapons) has no real chance of resistance and overthrow of a repressive government is a little silly... it happened 200 years ago, and the American forces accomplished it against a much better trained, armed, and funded army.  You also have to remember two things about armed forces, at least in the US: 1) the army, no matter how well equipped, is very tiny compared to the general population, and 2) many of those soldiers are going to be influenced by the fact that they would be fighting against family and friends.  Those two considerations don't guarantee victory, but  they certainly help.  However, without an armed citizenry, open resistance would be virtually impossible.

2. Governments becoming "undemocratric" isn't the threat.  Governments slowly eroding individual liberties to the point where personal freedom becomes meanlingless is the real threat.  It doesn't do any good to have elections if a society reaches the "tipping point", i.e. - the threshold at which no amount of public pressure is effective in instrumenting meaningful change through legal means.  The US Constitution is constructed differently than a typical body of laws.  Most laws state what a citizen cannot do.  The US Constitution works in reverse... it grants our government specific powers and states definitely that our government will have no additional powers beyond those in the Constitution.  This is a mechanism designed to resist eroding of personal liberty through the expansion of government powers by government itself.  The only way this can be defeated is a Constitutional Convention, i.e. - a very major, very public revision of the foundation itself, not via the normal legislative process.

3. Increases in gun ownership do not correlate to violent crimes... it's a myth perpetuated by those who fear firearms... or risk in general.  I suggest you read this article: http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/jlpp/Vol30_No2_KatesMauseronline.pdf.  Here's another one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States.  Here are some actual numbers for you:

a. 215 million guns were owned in the US in 2007

b. 24,000 Americans were killed by guns in 2007, including all war deaths and suicides

c. 1,500 Americans died in firearms accidents in 2007

d. 13,000 Americans were killed as a result of drunk driving in 2007

e. 41,000 Americans died in auto accidents in 2007

f.  560,000 Americans died from cancer in 2007

g. 600,000 Americans died from heart disease in 2007

Also, the accidental death rates from firearms in the US have been going down fairly steadily since the 1930s.  In other words, talking about all the tragic gun deaths in the US each year is truly a tempest in a teapot.  But this is the result of people going with an impression of the problem instead of actually doing real research.

By the way, violent crimes, in general, in the US have been going down for the past two decades, compared to those in the UK which have risen.  I'll leave it up to you to do your own research on that... I've already done mine.

Just keep accepting conventional wisdom regarding person freedoms and risk... you will most likely lead a quiet, safe, protected life... just don't do something crazy like trying to get out of the fenced-in area... they don't like that. 

EDIT: that last was meant as a joke, not a serious comment

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Killing sprees make me think gun licences should be given only after accurate psychiatric examination, accidents like this make me think a QI test and also a test about responsibility, common sense and civics are necessary.

Not a bad idea.  We license people to drive 3000 pound automobiles, why not make sure they have the mental stability and training to safely handle a firearm?

Very good post.

stof said:
FreeTalkLive said:
BoleroOfFire said:

Like I said, I feel free as a bird in NYC.  I don't feel "less free" just because I pay higher taxes.  There are plenty of reasons why our taxes are higher.  One of them is highly sought real estate.  If people didn't want to live here, I assure you everything would cost less and taxes would decrease.  And sorry but I can't recall the last time I heard someone say they want to move to NH or CO.  As for government, I like having one.  If I didn't, I'd become a hermit or find my own island.

And not without reason.  Compared to someone in North Korea, you are free.  Although, I'm not sure if you have as much freedom as someone in China.  But yeah, the least free place in the entire US, is likely more free than some parts of the world so no big deal.

You realize no one can take you seriously when you say things like this right?

Lmao!  Thank you.  His comparisons are ridiculous.  People must love being un-free then because NYC is a highly desired place to live.  I personally lived in a smaller, conservative, gun-toting town for a few years and hated it.  Feels good to be back.  NH can keep its arcade.  I've got literally thousands of places/activities/events to choose from if I'm bored. (Of course, playing video games is one of them.)   I wonder if he's ever even set foot outside of NH or if he bases all his claims on the silly propaganda he reads about the "least free places".  

The government also has nuclear weapons.  I guess that means I should have a hydrogen bomb in my family room.  You know, just in case.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Around the Network
BoleroOfFire said:
stof said:
FreeTalkLive said:
BoleroOfFire said:

Like I said, I feel free as a bird in NYC.  I don't feel "less free" just because I pay higher taxes.  There are plenty of reasons why our taxes are higher.  One of them is highly sought real estate.  If people didn't want to live here, I assure you everything would cost less and taxes would decrease.  And sorry but I can't recall the last time I heard someone say they want to move to NH or CO.  As for government, I like having one.  If I didn't, I'd become a hermit or find my own island.

And not without reason.  Compared to someone in North Korea, you are free.  Although, I'm not sure if you have as much freedom as someone in China.  But yeah, the least free place in the entire US, is likely more free than some parts of the world so no big deal.

You realize no one can take you seriously when you say things like this right?

Lmao!  Thank you.  His comparisons are ridiculous.  People must love being un-free then because NYC is a highly desired place to live.  I personally lived in a smaller, conservative, gun-toting town for a few years and hated it.  Feels good to be back.  NH can keep its arcade.  I've got literally thousands of places/activities/events to choose from if I'm bored. (Of course, playing video games is one of them.)   I wonder if he's ever even set foot outside of NH or if he bases all his claims on the silly propaganda he reads about the "least free places".  

The government also has nuclear weapons.  I guess that means I should have a hydrogen bomb in my family room.  You know, just in case.  

You make a good point about the fact that NY is a great place to live for people who like the benefits of a big city, but then you tarnish your argument by trying to claim that NH is a bad place to live.  It really doesn't matter how much you dislike small, gun-toting towns... many Americans like it even if you don't.  You're showing yourself to be just as intolerant of other opinions/lifestyles.

To each his own.

BoleroOfFire said:

Maybe some people like NYC in part because of the lack of freedom.  In fact, some people on this thread said gun freedom makes them uncomfortable or something similar.  Many people don't like freedom.  Many people are scared of freedom.  Many people want someone else to take care of them or others.  Even some people in NH feel this way.  People may like NYC for other reasons, also.  For the people that live in NYC, the positives likely outweigh the negatives.  The same for the people that live in NH, and so on.

Yes, I've been outside of NH.  I did a story for VGChartz when I lived in TN.  http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2039  I've also been to dozens of states and several other nations.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

How is this even Nintendo related?

Wiped said:

Re-legalize drugs?  Absolutely, ending prohibition would be a great step forward.  It would likely mean drastically lower crime and be a big boost for the economy.  However, that stuff isn't as important as every person's fundamental right to own their body.  As an adult, you own your body and as long as you own a substance, you are the only one with the right to decide if you put it in your body or not.  Otherwise, someone else owns you.  Personally, I own my own body.

Self-Ownership explained

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muHg86Mys7I

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

hduser said:
How is this even Nintendo related?

It started out somewhat loosely connected to the Wii remote, but several people--including myself--have managed to take it far into other territory.

I think a lot of this has to do with how strongly everyone is reacting to the death of a three year old girl... we all feel some amount of sadness and pain over such a needless thing.  And even though I strongly disagree with some on here regarding whether or not guns are the real issue or simply yet another way that a small child can be killed, I'm encouraged by the strong response from everyone here.  No one wants to see such a tragic thing happen.