By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Let's talk about Linux

Xen said:
I'm also very interested in Linux for PS3. I need me some native Matroska support, among other stuff.

As far as PC's go, I'm great with Windows, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I expect a PS3 Linux discussion to commence.

For The PS3, I stick with Ubuntu's distro.  For your MKV support, get Mplayer and just set up a Samba Server for easy access to your windows based network (for ease of streaming and whatnot).

Around the Network

Getting things to work on Linux in the PS3 environment is a big bitch and a big waste of time unless you have projects relating to it.

That aside, Linux is all good. Love using it as servers.

Xen said:
I'm also very interested in Linux for PS3. I need me some native Matroska support, among other stuff.

As far as PC's go, I'm great with Windows, but I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, I expect a PS3 Linux discussion to commence.

Actually I would rather have a thread strictly for PS3 linux support. Any takers?

Thought yellow dog was the definitive PS3 distro because of wireless adapter,blue tooth and controller support for ps3 hardware built in.

Ubuntu is a great place to start if you want to learn about Linux. Heck; I've been using Linux for years and Ubuntu is still my favorite distro.

If you really want to get down to the nitty-gritty, though, nothing beats Slackware.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

I am not very informed on the ins and outs of linux, but I have never been very friendly to it. It would also seem that this has more to do with the ps3 than the pc, or atleast that is where it has headed within this thread.

Isn't it a hassle to use Linux operating system over osx and windows?

Kinect! who needs video games!

calvinandhobbes said:
I am not very informed on the ins and outs of linux, but I have never been very friendly to it. It would also seem that this has more to do with the ps3 than the pc, or atleast that is where it has headed within this thread.

Isn't it a hassle to use Linux operating system over osx and windows?

Well, I put it in the PC forum because it's more interesting to me as a PC user and I assume that that's the case for a lot of people.

I guess some distros probably owuld be - the "man" distros, as it were - but if you're using it for nothing but browsing the internet and watching Youtube and chatting and stuff like that, then Ubuntu is about as easy as using Windows. Hell, it might be easier depending on who you ask, thanks to the Package Manager.

New Linux users should stick with Ubuntu IMO. At least unless you are a C or PHP coder who plans on writing a lot of customer functionality for your personal machine, in which case Gentoo or Slackware or any number of other distros is great.

I tried Ubuntu for a short time. I'd like to install it again at some point and try it out for regular computer usage like internet and such.

Though on more than one occasion the Ubuntu live CD saved my ass when Windows was screwed and I needed to save some files for myself or somebody else.

How come this isn't in Microsoft discussion?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?